Creating Design Specs

Creating Design Specs

by Mike Churchward -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

(Martin, do you monitor this discussion?)

Ideally, we could collaboratively create the necessary design specs and use cases online. Jon's already trying to design code using the snippets of requests throughout the discussions.

May I suggest we try a wiki? We have one under development that is mostly useable. Martin, if you add one, I will set up the first pages to get it started. I would suggest a 'group/no groups' type - but you could always create a DMS group and go with that.

mike

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Churchward

Re: Creating Design Specs

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I do, sort of, but I've had my hands really full with urgent things the past month or two and to my great regret I haven't had time to look at the coding you guys are doing and catch up on this very important topic (and the Wiki module too).

I'm getting through the urgent things and will get right onto development again soon ... including upgrading this site with recent modules.  We do actually have a Wiki here already if you want to start this now ... everyone is anonymous in there though.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Jason Cole -
I added a page to the current Wiki. There should be a link off the main Wiki page.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Something's not working right. I've added several pages from the new DMS page, and whenever I go back, they still don't appear as links. However, when I edit them, all of the content I created is there.

mike

Seed for specs

by Jason Cole -
Greetings all.

While Jon valiantly and courageously advances along the MyDMS front, I've been moving along the predefined spec front. Between what Jon is learning/developing and the homework the rest of us are done, I think we can come up with something that will truly be a value to the community (and a wonder to behold).

As the annoying WebDAV advocate as the basis for the DMS, I've been trying to do as much homework as possible. To that end, I've compiled all of the feature requests I can find in the discussions.

File Storage:

* Files are all user-based, not course based, so that a user can publish one of their documents in any course
* Each user sees their own files as a hierarchical file system
* Support for quotas per-user

File Management
* files can be stored in the database (rather than just on disk as now) - this is risky. It would be better to store pointers in the database and store the file on the filesystem
* files can have metadata attached to them (eg keywords, description etc) - webDAV can do this with propset and propfind
* files can be searched for text inside them, or by metadata
webDAV supports searching by metadata with propfind, searching inside files will require a seperate search engine.
* files can have versions (and records of past versions)
Eventually we can implement a true versioning system. For now, overwrite copies the old file to a version number.
* files can be moved around without breaking the links to them
* Support for learning objects (import/export)
* HTML files edited inline using HTML editor with spell-check etc

Permissions issues
* files can have particular authors (and perhaps multiple authors)
* files can have access controls applied to them
* files can be shared between courses
* all users can have their own online files area
* all users can have quotas applied (so students don't start MP3 archives)
* all files in a user's file area will be available for use in quizzes, forum attachments, journals, assignments, etc

Technical Issues
* Written in PHP using ADOdb for database access
* Support for WebDAV for downloading/uploading data

I'm working on a document that will discuss how we can achieve all of this with a WebDAV based system. I should have that up by the end of the day.

J
In reply to Jason Cole

Re: Seed for specs

by Bryan Williams -

Jason,

Good start, very impressive. Do you anticipate that files can be "published" across learning systems? 

Bryan

In reply to Bryan Williams

Re: Seed for specs

by Jason Cole -
That's one reason I'm an advocate for basing the system on WebDAV. It would be very simple to grant universal read and/or copy permission to allow people to copy files from your server to their own. Universal read with a common DMS would allow me to link to a file on your server and always have access to it as long as the permissions weren't changed. I could also use universal read to read it locally and then save it on my DMS system.

WebDAV gives us a standard platform for this sort of sharing (as well as access to a very large range of clients and storage systems).

I'd see this as a version 2 feature however.

by W Page -
Hi Mike,

If you use the WIKI please allow other Moodlers to watch even if you do not allow us to contribute and you only allow a closed group to work on the project.

I am still "shakey" about using a Wiki.  I would like to see how it is really suppose to be used by people who are comfortable about using it.  I am sure you will be including, text, attachments, images, etc....  I need to see all of this in action.  I am sure I am not the only Moodler with "
Wiki Shyness".

WP1