Anyone used the Role Specific HTML Block?? Content saving issues

Anyone used the Role Specific HTML Block?? Content saving issues

by Dave Kichler -
Number of replies: 7
I'm having trouble with the Role Specific HTML Block. I can install and create an instance of the block no problem but I cannot get data to show up in it. When I edit the block I put all the info I want in and hit the Save Changes button. When it returns to show the edited block, there are no changes and it still looks like a default instance (no content, Role Specific HTML as title). Furthermore, if I try to edit the same block again, all the data that I entered in the Config screen before still remains yet doesn't show up in the actual instance of the block. Has anyone else used this block before? Had this problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.
I've been avoiding wading through the code to learn how the pages are actually generated (and the blocks on them)

Dave
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dave Kichler

Re: Anyone used the Role Specific HTML Block?? Content saving issues

by Dave Kichler -
Answering my own question once again, it was a simple mistake I made that was preventing me from seeing any of the content in the role specific HTML Block. When I created and edited the blocks, I did not select Admin as one of the roles that the block would be available to. Therefor, none of the content I had just entered was showing up. When I logged into a student account (one of the roles I chose for the blocks), they showed exactly how I wanted them to.
In reply to Dave Kichler

by Shyamala Rajaram -
Role Specific HTML Block?? How do I install this module, please help.

I downloaded the module and palced the folder under mod? is this right?

Shyamala
In reply to Shyamala Rajaram

by Karen Taylor -
Hi Shyamala,
It should go in the blocks directory \moodle\blocks\
After than go to your admin page to get it working
/moodle/admin/index.php

cheers,
Karen
In reply to Karen Taylor

by Shyamala Rajaram -
Thanks, a million.
Shyamala
In reply to Shyamala Rajaram

by Claudio C -
Only works with PHP5 if you want to install it in PHP4 you must to remove the private from the block_html_role_specific.php file like this:

private funcion display()

only

function display()

And it works
In reply to Dave Kichler

by Shyamala Rajaram -
Hi Karen/ Dave,

Can you help, I have a deadline in the next couple of hours and need to install Role specific blocks. How toinstall?
Shyamala

In reply to Dave Kichler

by Karen Taylor -
I have found this happens when I use my admin account to edit the block but don't give admin rights to view it.

Edit the block and ensure that the admin account has rights to view the block.

Cheers,
Karen