New evaluation addon

Re: New evaluation addon

by Juho Eloranta -
Number of replies: 1

Hi!

Thanks for feedback.
Now I will try to explain little more why thinks work the way they work.

This evaluation system could have been included in moodle course code but reason why it's not in there is to keep system easier to update future moodle versions. Because system adminstration nightmare would be that when they upgrade their moodle to next version they have to change code from several files. I hope that in the future this evaluation could be integrated into moodle but until that I think it's easier to keep it bit apart.

There are two reasons why 1,2,3,4,5,failed and passed are only grades. First reason is that in school where I'm making this system there isn't any internet based evaluation system. There is this official record that contains all the students final grades from the courses but you cannot store any grades from individual tests in there. This systems basic idea is to give teacher fast and easy way to give students actual grades. At the start of every course teacher has to make evaluation model and after that only think she/he has to do is to give points to students works. In the future idea is that teacher could bring paper test points into this evaluation system and evaluate them. After this courses final grades could be directly transferred into official system.

Reason two is that this system is still under heavy development. Now teacher can give only 5 different grades. they can be 1,2,3,4,5 , a,b,c,d,e,f or something completely else it's up to the settings. But there is still problem that there is 5 diffedent grades not less or more. This is big problem because I know that different schools can have different amoun of grades. In the future I would update this to give ability to choose how many grades there will be from 1 to 10. 

This system dosn't give any feedback to student but I think it can give teacher tools to give easily grades and publish them instantly. The second teacher puts grade in system student can see it. I've looked Gustav system a litle bit and it is very flexible indeed but there is always problem in flexible system that for some ones it could be hard or difficult to use.

This bonus system is also in my system. It's only called grade correction.

But I will keep developing this so send more feeback.

In reply to Juho Eloranta

Re: New evaluation addon

by Ger Tielemans -

Nothing wrong with developing a prototype on your own, but it makes integrating later double difficult. So give Moodle a second chance: it has lots of options:

Reason one:

it is possible in Moodle to name an assignment "not on the computer" but still make a reservation to store the grades/marks for that external assignment in Moodle

As soon as the teacher brings in his marks, the student can see it in his privat scores-box (Coourse by course, no central overview in Moodle)

Reason two:

In Moodle it is possible to develop your own grading scales and use these for grading:
So you can create there your two scales 1,2,3,4,5 and pass/fail

Would be great if these grading scales were availble for all Moodle Moduls, there you have a point.

Grades for tests are in Moodle automatic, you can do corrections in the test by changing the weights and do a recalculation.

Wish you luck