Inherit vs Prevent

Inherit vs Prevent

by Edith Lin -
Number of replies: 12

What is the difference between setting a capability to Inherit and Prevent at site level? 

Since site level is the highest context, I wonder what does it inherit form.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Edith Lin

Re: Inherit vs Prevent

by John Isner -
I have the same two questions. Actually, I would modify your first question:

What is the difference between setting a capability to Inherit and Allow at site level?

since it's pretty clear that Prevent ignores higher-level contexts, if any.

For example, Administrator has some capabilities marked Inherit and others marked Allow. If an Admin can "do anything," why aren't they all marked as Allow? Or, if we assume an imaginary god-like can-do-anything role that is the basis for all other system-level roles, why not mark all of Admin's capabilities as Inherit?
In reply to John Isner

by Samuli Karevaara -
Interesting, yes... The global admin role has a default capability for "View courses" as "Inherit". I too wonder why? Even if this is meant as "Not set", the why is it not set?
In reply to Samuli Karevaara

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Yes, "View courses" is interesting. thoughtful

Users with this capability allowed are listed as course participants (unless the role is a hidden assignment). As we don't want admins to be listed as course participants, it's not set.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Samuli Karevaara -
Ok, a bit if a hack there smile But, where do they get the permission/capability to view courses anyway? (I'm lazy and doing my digital signal processing homework on the side so I didn't look at the code)

Edit: If it's the "Allowed to do everything", then couldn't everything else be "Not set" but that? smile
In reply to John Isner

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi,

Please note that the word "Inherit" on the define roles page has been changed to "Not set" to hopefully make things easier to understand.

Regarding admin capabilities, most are set to Allow. A few capabilities relating to activity participation e.g. assignment submission are not set.
In reply to Helen Foster

by John Isner -
Regarding admin capabilities, most are set to Allow

If they were all set to Allow, it would make sense. However some Admin capabilities are set to Inherit (a.k.a. Not set), which suggests the existence of a higher-level role. This is what we find confusing!

Our confusion deepens when we look at Teacher's capabilities. Most Teacher capabilities are set to Inherit (a.k.a. Not set). Inherit from what?
In reply to John Isner

by Elena Ivanova -
hmm, most of Teacher capabilities are actually set to Allow.
And then, for those things that usually are not applicable to such role, they are set to Not Set.

John, do you have the most recent 1.8?
Even that small change in language was worth it smile Inherit was way too confusing.

In reply to Elena Ivanova

by John Isner -
I have the very latest stable version of 1.8. Oops, you are right -- most Teacher capabilities are set to Allow. However quite a few are Not set. As long as even one is "Not set" I will be confused because I do not know what "Not set" means.

The documentation says:

Inherit. This is the default setting, generally. It's a neutral setting that means "use whatever setting the user already had". If a role gets assigned to someone (e.g. in a course) that has this permission for a capability, then the actual permission they'll have will just be the same as they already had at higher-level contexts (e.g. categories or site level). Ultimately, if permission is never allowed at any level, then the user will have no permission for that capability.

This goes back to the original question at the beginning of the forum. When you're a System-level role, what permission did you "already have?"

What exactly does "Not set" mean?
In reply to John Isner

by Elena Ivanova -
Documentation needs to be updated, that's for sure. I have updated that Inherit word, and I will try to think on the definition smile
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Edith Lin -

Hi all, thanks for your consideration.  I raised this question since I found that in some download modules, most of the capabilities are set to 'Inherit' (a.k.a. Not Set) from the site context down to the module context.  In my experience, with this settings, the outcome is same as PREVENT.

As what John asked, What exactly does "Not set" mean?

In reply to John Isner

by John Isner -
I can explain what Not set means!

Say a role is assigned to a user in in a course context, and the role has permission 'Not set' for some capability. Then the actual permission they'll have in this context will be the same as what they have in the category context, or failing that, in the site context.

Determining whether a 'Not set' permission is Allowed requires Moodle to search up through the context chain (see below). Ultimately, if the permission is never allowed at any level, it becomes 'Prevent.'

The context chain:
  1. Site (System)
  2. Course Categories
  3. Course Sub-categories
  4. Courses
  5. Blocks and Activities
Let me know if this explanation makes sense.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)