installation leaps back to copyright notice

installation leaps back to copyright notice

by Antti Immonen -
Number of replies: 20
Hello

I have strange installation error. It seems that installation stops after first database upgrade and goes back to copyright message. This is clean installation of 1.2.1 and i think my config file is ok. Here something that might help:.
- Mozilla
- PHP 4.3.2 RC
- safemode off
Thanks for any advice!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Antti Immonen

Re: installation leaps back to copyright notice

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Something is most probably wrong with your config.php settings. Starting point is to confirm that the $CFG->dirroot is really pointing to the same place as $CFG->wwwroot

If you get stuck - try posting your config.php here. (Take out your passwords though!!)
In reply to Howard Miller

Vast: Re: installation leaps back to copyright notice

by Antti Immonen -

Thanks Howard,
Here is my config attached and also link to server info http://cc.joensuu.fi/~opossumi/info.php

Antti

Re: Vast: Re: installation leaps back to copyright notice

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Drop all the tables in the database and try installing again.

Vast: Vast: Re: installation leaps back to copyright notice

by Antti Immonen -
Martin,
I have removed all moodle entries from database a couple of times already without result. Do i have to clear all entries?(some other programs is it also)

Re: Vast: Vast: Re: installation leaps back to copyright notice

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
You should not be sharing the Moodle database with any other programs on the server.  If you really insist on doing so, you need to change this line in config.php
$CFG->prefix    = '';

to something like

$CFG->prefix = 'mdl_';

In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

Vast: Re: Vast: Vast: Re: installation leaps back to copyright notice

by Antti Immonen -
yes, there ase also mdl_ prefixes, allthough i removed those from that earlier config...

I was wondering could this has something to do with cookies? Sekaisin

Re: Vast: Vast: Re: installation leaps back to copyright notice

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Are you sure your database permissions are correct? Can you connect to your database using the username/password you have set up for Moodle and see the contents of the tables (and said contents look sensible)
In reply to Howard Miller

Vast: Re: Vast: Vast: Re: installation leaps back to copyright notice

by Antti Immonen -
It makes the first set of tables to database, but then jumps back to copyright notice. And when i tried to click continue, it gives error messages (i guess because tables has been created).

Anyway, I`ll give up this time. Thanks all for advices/questions, Moodle community rules!

Re: Vast: Re: Vast: Vast: Re: installation leaps back to copyright notice

by Pierre Vandenberghe -
Have you resolve this issue ?
If yes, I would like to know how you did it.

Meanwhile, I deleted my Moodle 1.2.1 installation
and replaced it with v1.3 beta hoping that it would change something. Unfortunately it didn't. It continues to leap back to copyright notice sad

It is very frustrating.
Could any one help me please?
In reply to Pierre Vandenberghe

Vast: Re: Vast: Re: Vast: Vast: Re: installation leaps back to copyright notice

by Antti Immonen -

No, I havent solve that problem. I think it has something to do with server settings, because with another server installation process goes smoothly.

Antti

by Marc Dastous -

Pierre;

Where is your site being hosted?  What is that actual URL of your Moodle installaition?

Marc

In reply to Marc Dastous

by Pierre Vandenberghe -
I don't have access to another server so...It would be nice to be able to make it work with the one I have.

My Moodle URL is http://evoc.ca/moodle
My php settings: http://evoc.ca/phpinfo.php
My config file is attached.

Thanks for your help smile
I was starting to feel alone here.

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
Try adding the following line:

$CFG->debug=8;

right after the line

require_once("../config.php");

in the file moodle/admin/index.php.  [Make sure that you use a text editor like Notepad, not a word processor to do the edit.]
In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by Pierre Vandenberghe -
After adding the line you suggest I get this message:

Table 'pierre_moodle.mdl_course' doesn't exist
SELECT * FROM mdl_course WHERE category = '0'

Does that mean I have to create the tables by hand
using the SQL statements in moodle/lib/db/mysql.sql ?

by Siegwart Mayr -

Antti,

I always have this issue when installing Moodle behind a caching-proxy server.  The problem is that somehow the files are getting cached on your proxy, so it does not continue executing the next step.

The simple solution to this is to keep pressing <ctr><f5> (forced refresh on IE browser, or <ctr><r> on Mozilla...I believe) instead of <enter>, or after clicking the "continue" link.  It will keep executing the following scripts until you are done with the installation.  Then after this, you are set to go with configuring and adding courses to your Moodle installation.

In reply to Siegwart Mayr

Vast: Re: installation leaps back to copyright notice

by Antti Immonen -
and what was the complex solution then... I tried your suggestion many many times (how many minutes i should press that?), but it didnt go any further. Thanks anyway!

Re: Re: installation leaps back to copyright notice

by Siegwart Mayr -

Hmm....let's see.  I'm trying to remember things from memory.  You need to execute a forced refresh (<ctrl><f5> on IE) for every new return to copyright notice, after clicking on the "Continue" link at the bottom of each next step.  It quickly advances through the installation screens (but keeps reverting to copyright notice) until it completes the installation process.  Then, it should allow you to configure your Moodle site.  After that, it should stops the return to the copyright notice.

The complex solution (not so complex) was to go on the server console, and run the installation there.  I opened a browser window there, thus bypassing the proxy server so that no caching was done, and the installation went smoothly.  If you are on the server console already, make sure caching (on the proxy server) is disabled for the localhost, or configure your browser NOT to use a proxy server for the local address (localhost).

BTW, what browser and operating system are you using for the client and the server?  Do you have a cache-proxy server?  Perhaps this problem has nothing to do with caching...

by Pierre Vandenberghe -
Hello!

I am experiencing the same problem...

I followed the installation procedure precisely,
I have read this thread many times and verified and tried everything at least two times without success.

My php settings: http://evoc.ca/phpinfo.php
My config file is attached.

Any other ideas?

I would really like to make that work as soon as possible.
Thanks!

by Siegwart Mayr -

Pierre,

I tried your Moodle installation.  I see what you are saying now. It is very strange.  It is definitely not related to a proxy server (unless your hosting service has one) caching this page.  And from the comments in this thread, you are not alone with this problem. I have no idea what the solution is. 

BTW, secure your moodledata directory by placing it outside the public_html directory. Eg:
$CFG->dataroot  = '/home/pierre/moodledata';

In reply to Siegwart Mayr

by Pierre Vandenberghe -
OK, I secured the moodledata directory.
Thanks for the advice.

Now, I contacted my hosting provider and asked him to upgrade MySQL and PHP to the latest versions. I also
added some more disk space to my account, as I noticed
that after my last installation of Moodle, my disk quota was
exceeded. I reinstalled Moodle and still it has not resolved anything yet.

I don't know what to do next sad
Any ideas?