Gallup poll for modules into a PDA

Gallup poll for modules into a PDA

by paul papapaul -
Number of replies: 3
Hi to All,

This topic concerns with the modules that are really or not necessary for the PDA version of mooodle and generally for the interaction with moodle via a PDA (or smartphone).
For example,
  • the survey module isn't useful or easy to handle via a pda beacuase teachers believe it's not efficient enough to elaborate the data from a survey.
  • according to my/someone's interaction with the pda moodle it observed that it's difficult to use in an easy way the glossary module beacause there is no participation in creating definitions via a pda
  • according to bibliographic review, users think that the forum module is absolutely important when using a pda for the reason that...
I hope we will gather many opinions and references in this topic, so that, finally, it could be possible to create a statistical array with the usability of any single module of moodle for a high amount of users of PDAs.

Regards,

Paul Papapaul

Average of ratings: -
In reply to paul papapaul

Re: Gallup poll for modules into a PDA

by paul papapaul -
Hello again!

Do you have any opinios regarding the topic above?

All results will be collected to make statistical graphs and conclusions and it could be useful to upload such a survey as a helpful tool.

Thanks
In reply to paul papapaul

by Ger Tielemans -

One of the problems with Smartphones and PDAs is that you must revamp (read as: shrink) the interface to fit in such a small screen. For simple functions like Google that is OK. For interfaces like Moodle you have the disadvantage that the whole big screen is filled with meaningfull area's. I can see on my phone that Moodle recognises my phone (I see skip this block messages) but it kills the interface.

And even if Moodle will be the first one to tackle that problem (that's my expectation smile) the rest of the world will not..

I think that Opera with the new MiniOpera version 4 (beta) found the solution, if you cannot convince them to change, join them:

• make a shrinked snapshot of the whole screen
  • offer a zoom-window as a hover
  • click on the spot where you want to access the real interface

Within a year all Smartphones and the Jezus-phone will offer this trick and we can concentrate us on the redesign of functions one level deeper:

• glossary
  • journal
  • wiki
  • quizz
  • questionnaire
  • poll
  • feedback
  • lesson?

Some of the functions can be offered in a block that fits the interface?

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Andrew Fournier -
Moodle actually does run on my pda. It is a sharp Zaurus (linux based) and runs firefox on its 640x480 screen. The pda is defintiely not my first choice for editing moodle, but I have done it.

I'd guess the same would be true of any of the vga or higher (like the nokia n800) linux handhelds. Quite possibly it will work on the upcoming OpenMoko Neo1973 linux smartphone too.