Backup function won't save Topic titles or text

Backup function won't save Topic titles or text

by Steve Sharrad -
Number of replies: 2

On testing the backup and restore function, we are experiencing a problem with saving Topic Block text/titles. The backup only appears to save the resources/files loaded to the course area, but NOT the text added to the Topic Blocks (e.g.to title the block, or to summarise resources). When the restore is performed, all this information disappears, leaving only the resources displayed in the Topic Blocks. This is a particular problem where lecturers are entering large amounts of text containing links to resources in the file area as the text and links are not restored leaving an empty Topic Block.

Can anyone help?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Sharrad

Re: Backup function won't save Topic titles or text

by Deb Smith -
I think I had a similar problem, where restore was only creating a list of icons with no text labeling and nothing was an active link to a course element. I was restoring a course from 1.8.2 to 1.8.2. After many, many failures, I found the problem quite easy to correct. Whether you are backing up a course and restoring from your backup, or importing from another course, you must do the following in order to be able to get clickable course elements in the new course:

When selecting the elements to include in the backup, at the very least select the following:
labels
database
assignment
lesson
quiz
resource in the top grouping.

Then, of course, select the quizzes and resources in their respective sections farther down the page, as well as any other modules you are using in your course. This will ensure that any quizzes and resources you have in the Quiz and Resource sections farther down the page are functional. If you ignore these top items in the interest of keeping a clean backup, you will have a list of icons that are not active. If you are using questionaires, exercises, feedback, surveys, etc, be sure to tick these items near the bottom of the list so they will be included in the import or backup. Hope this helps!
In reply to Steve Sharrad

Re: Backup function won't save Topic titles or text

by John Isner -
Steve and Deb,
MDL-10993 "Restore creates duplicate activity/resource icons with no text" sounds related. Do you see two icons for every activity/resource, one with text and one without, or just one icon without text? if you think your problem is related, please comment on MDL-10993.

Deb's solution sounds like a workaround. Normally it should be possible to just check what you want; backup should be able to figure out the dependencies. For example, if you check quiz, backup will take questions from the database.