Not read message interface - HACK

Not read message interface - HACK

by Luca Mazzola -
Number of replies: 2
Hello moodlers,
we developed an HACK to show, on the main page, all the 'not read messages' in every forum on the platform.
This was realized by the eLearning staff at CILEA (an Italian Internuniversitary consortium for ICT) , for a Master at Milano-Bicocca University
We post a screenshot, used in a presentation.
Nowadays, the code doesn't work very well on series 1.7 and 1.8, due to the new roles' system implemented in.
Attachment NotReadMessage_POST.gif
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luca Mazzola

Re: Not read message interface - HACK

by Seth Dickens -
Ciao Luca!

I've got 1.7 running at the moment and am thinking of upgrading to 1.8.

I'd be interested in using this hack... or at least finding out more about it.

Can you tell me though.. Is it a site wide hack or can it be run like a module and switched on or off for each individual course.

Nice idea anyway!

Thanks o Grazie

Seth smile

(Vivo a Trento)
In reply to Seth Dickens

Re: Not read message interface - HACK

by Luca Mazzola -
Hi Seth, first of all, I apologize myself for my poor English. sad

I'm happy to tell you more about this hack. big grin
First thing, it's a site solution: once the code is inserted in the main page of Moodle, it's active. Right now, it's NOT possible to activate it based on personal preferences.
Second, it read all the forums, but I think could be not so difficult to dinamically select only a subset of it. thoughtful

The modification is localized in one point (few lines of code) on the main page (index.php) of the root of Moodle installation; all the active code is in a library script.

Unfortunatly, the problem wit series 1.7 and 1.8 is due to the new role administration: it works well only with system profile.

Let me see if you want to try it,
LkM.

P.S: Bellissima città Trento... (Trento is a very nice city...)