V 1.8 Can you create a quiz with no right answer?

V 1.8 Can you create a quiz with no right answer?

by Monika Bonaldo -
Number of replies: 2

We are in the midst of upgrading from 1.4 all the way through 1.8. In 1.4 we had a survey set-up as a "quiz" since "survey" wasn't an option. In 1.8 upgrade if you attempt the quiz it states "Error:Missing question answers".

I looked at the new survey options, however, it does not seem customizable to my questions.

Question: Is there a way in v 1.8 to create a quiz and have no wrong answer (and get that error!)? Please HELP!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Monika Bonaldo

Re: V 1.8 Can you create a quiz with no right answer?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Which question type?

I'm guessing multiple choice, in which case the answer is yes, you can create a question with several right answers and no wrong answers.

I do know that upgrading 1.4 -> 1.8 is not generally recommended. It may work better to upgrade in several steps 1.4 -> 1.6 -> 1.8, for example.
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: V 1.8 Can you create a quiz with no right answer?

by Cynthia Negron -

"you can create a question with several right answers and no wrong answers"

-- How? I don't see a way to designate a question as ungraded, to give +100% value to more than one answer, or to make an essay or short answer question which is correct by default.

Multiple-Answer questions have to have answers that add up to exactly 100% of the possible points, so I can't just make every answer worth 100%. I want them to get 1.00 pts for ANY answers checked. 

Attempts to value an entire question at 0 points result in error messages or defaulting back to 1 automatically. Essay questions might be a solution, but they must be graded manually by a "Teacher" role. It is problematic because the student is given 0 points on an essay question as the default, so they would get a very disappointing grade and "Try again" message until the question is graded manually. I'll keep looking though.