How stable is 1.3?

How stable is 1.3?

by Eric Swanson -
Number of replies: 10

Anyone using it in production yet? We're about to go live using 1.21 but the Calendar in 1.3 looks really cool and I'm tempted to run with it. The first class will be under 20 students  and starts next week.

Stick with 1.21 without the calendar, mod 1.21 and add in the calendar or go 1.3?

Comments?

swany

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eric Swanson

Re: How stable is 1.3?

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

I'm not using 1.3 in production yet, because blocks and calender are not a priority to me, but as I can follow the CVS evolution, I have the impression that this developementversion is kept much more carefull then the former (leaving modifications in conrtrib in stead of releasing it into the nightly)

If you don't care for regulary update's and take good backup, you can take the risk. Subscribe yourself on the CVS mailinglist so you can follow the when and why of the updates!

In reply to Eric Swanson

by Bryan Williams -

Swany,

You might be well advised to go with 1.2.1 right now.  1.3 is more than just the Calendar, Moodle will be "getting a kick in the backside" as Martin has said, thanks to Jon's block code concept.  There may be surprises over the next few weeks as more people begin to test it out. But, it's looking REALLY REALLY good!

Bryan

In reply to Eric Swanson

by Chris Ainsworth -
Hi Swanny

If you are looking for stability - stay with a "released product" (1.2.1) however if you like a few thrills in your life go for 1.3. If it were me I would be staying with a proven prodiuct for deployment but you may decide to run two versions - 1.2.1 for student and 1.3 as a development with nightly updates like I do . This allows me to evaluate progress and progrssively test new features. That also gives me the advantages that when I upgrade my student/deployed system that I have had exposure and gained a little experience at deploying new featurs and not have to struggle with them. Students give one enough problems as it is - having a stable system is one less thing to worry about or put one under pressure.
Cheers
Chris A - Cj for short
In reply to Chris Ainsworth

by Steven Day -
Another curious one here. Right now I'm fine with 1.2.1 but must admit that my appetite has been whet. Since I'll be doing a presentation on Moodle late next month, however, I am curious when 1.3 may be released. There will be ample time to try it out, I assume. If not, I'm sure my impatient nature will get the better of me.

Looking forward to this "kick in the rear" from Australia. Reminds me of a Simpson's episode

Eternally grateful.

Steven
In reply to Eric Swanson

by Marc Dastous -

I have to admit, I'm a "bleeding edge" kinda guy.  With only 149 students currently exposed to Moodle, I have a little more flexibility with what I do.  I am using 1.3 dev with the calendar, not the blocks (yet)wink and I LOVE IT!!!  The students love it because they can easily track due dates.  The parents love it because with a quick glance they can see what's on the horizon. Great stuff!

I would agree with the earlier comment, that the current nightly version seems very stable (relatively speaking) and on my test server the blocks work AWESOME!!!!

In my 1 year using Moodle, I have never had a problem so serious that it couldn't be fixed with a little patience, problem solving and a good backupbig grin.  And come to find out, most of my problems have been with my hosting company changing PHP settings, etc. and NOT with Moodle.

Best advice... use the released version, but if you like to live on the wild side.....big grin

Marc

In reply to Marc Dastous

by Steven Day -
Thanks Marc. I am tempted, especially since currently I'm only testing Moodle. But if 1.3 comes out fairly soon, I'll just wait. But I do want to get it working before the end of May for a presentation. It sounds like a great version to show off.

We should embed some Lou Reed audio for you bleedin' edge guys.

Steven
In reply to Eric Swanson

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
FWIW - I am using the CVS version on a couple of production courses that we keep a VERY close eye on. The ones that run themselves are on 1.2.1.

I have tended to live life dangerously for some time and have had the odd problem, but nothing too bad. So far big grin
In reply to Howard Miller

by Steven Day -
Ah, temptation.
In reply to Steven Day

by Timothy Takemoto -

I had one really minor problem that was cured within an hour of posting it here, but basically 1.3 seems to work fine for me. I am using on production (about 120 students). 

The thing about my experience with Moodle is that when it goes wrong it does NOT go wrong in a catestrophic way. So, in a way I have had a few 'bugs', but none of them serious.

Compare this an expensive software system we are using at my university...it has some small but serious limitations. But there is no way in hell that we are going to be able to get any changes made. The expensive software is thus left unused.

Once upon at time I did not seem to be able to backup quizes after a Moodle upgrade. This was potentially a serious problem but, again, posting here resulted in a cure within a few days (things seem to be getting quicker!).

But don't take my word for it. If you have a lot of students, 1.2 is safer.

The blocks are amazing. Wow. Who needs Xoops etc now? Moodle is getting to be a portal (nuke-ish). Thanks Jon.

Tim
Takemoto

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Eric Swanson -

My latest idea is to install 1.3 into a moode13 folder on the same machine and also create a moodle121 folder into which I'll move all the 121 files and folders. Then I'll move the 1.3 files and folders up to root and run 13 using the same database and private data folders (after it updates the database).

This should work as long as the database for 1.3 builds on version 1.21 and is NOT different.  This way I could easily swap out one version for the other if I have problems and need to revert down to 1.21.

Is this going to work or is the 1.3 database a whole new structure?

swany