Allowing Teachers to create roles

Allowing Teachers to create roles

by John Isner -
Number of replies: 4
I want to allow teachers to create roles.

As Admin, I go to Administration -> Users -> Permissions -> Define roles and edit the legacy role Teacher by adding permission to "Create and manage roles."

I logout as Admin and login as Teacher. I go to one of my courses, but I do not see any way to create a new role.

What am I missing?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Isner

Re: Allowing Teachers to create roles

by Amy Groshek -
John,

I am very new to--and very confused by--the new role functionality. But so far as I can tell, if you are using 1.7 or 1.8, there is a difference between Front page roles, global roles, and course roles.

You will only have that teacher role privilege where your user account is assigned to the teacher role--this differs whether on the front page, global, or within a course. And I don't think the roles overlap, either. Behavior in each of the greater "territories" or "areas" does not seem to inherit into the course.

So be sure you assign teacher role at global level if you want global role editing for yourself.

You should be able to verify or disprove my theory by entering a course where your teacher account is assigned the teacher role, and trying to edit roles within that course.

~A
In reply to Amy Groshek

by John Isner -
Hi Amy,
Thanks for your help, but I'm still confused.
  • I'm a teacher in course X
  • The Admin modified the legacy Teacher role by adding the capability "Create and manage roles."
  • I assumed that this would enhance my capabilities as Teacher in course X
  • But it did not.
So be sure you assign teacher role at global level if you want global role editing for yourself.

But I don't want "global role editing" for myself! I only want it as teacher, within course X. I went ahead and performed the experiment you suggested anyway:
  • As Admin, enhance the legacy role Teacher by adding permission to Create and manage roles
  • Assign Global Role Teacher to my user in the Core System context (Moodle 1.8+)
  • Logout as admin and login as the teacher
  • Look for a way to create roles in course X...
but I still do not find any way to do this.

Incidentally, the assignment of a role in a Global context comes with the warning

"WARNING! Any roles you assign from this page will apply to the assigned users throughout the entire site, including the front page and all the courses."

which sounds something you'd want to avoid unless you had a thorough understanding of the roles system.
In reply to John Isner

by Amy Groshek -
I apologize, John. I misunderstood. I was thinking along the lines of editing roles, as in overriding roles and assigning roles on the course level, which you certainly should be able to do now as Teacher within the course. Probably you know this already.

I don't think you can create a role, as in, define a wholly new role, at the course level. I have never seen that option within the course, even a an admin.

I think you can allow your teachers to create roles at the global level (which could get messy fast), or you can create additional role options as an admin, that allow different degrees of permission, and the teachers can assign those roles within their courses.

~A

In reply to Amy Groshek

by John Isner -
Yes, I already discovered how I, as a teacher, can override permissions for an existing role (e.g., Student) in a course context. What led me to believe that I could also define my own roles in course is the wording of the capability "Define and manage roles."

I think you can allow your teachers to create roles at the global level

In the experiment I described earlier [in which the admin added the permission "Define and manage roles" to Teacher and then assigned the global role Teacher to me in the Core System context], I (as Teacher) was not able to define roles at the global level.

So then, I guess the only way for a Teacher to alter permissions within a course is to through the "Override permissions for others" capability. Given permission, the teacher can then apply overrides to Student, non-editing teacher, or guest, or any other role that has been checked (by the admin) in the "Allow roles override" table. The "Define and manage roles" capability is irrelevant to teachers.

Is this true?