SCORM

Picture of Vyacheslav Shchinov
CourseLab and Moodle - SCORM issues

Hi all!

We recognize that some people started to use CourseLab for creating SCORM content for Moodle. I think it would be convenient if all CourseLab-related questions regarding SCORM and Moodle can be found in one topic.

We've tested CourseLab-generated content with Moodle 1.7.* - no problems found. But we understand that you know Moodle far better. Perhaps we've missed something.

Your feedback is welcome!

Thank you in advance!

Vyacheslav Shchinov
CourseLab Development Team
www.courselab.com

Average of ratings: -
Picture of antoine Faget
Re: CourseLab and Moodle - SCORM issues

Hi,

I have tested the execution of a Scorm Package edited with CourseLab on the Moodle 1.8 and I see some bugs in the communication with the moodle API Scorm (error alert), for the sco tracking (time is not tracked) and in the navigation buttons use (inactive).

I hope these bugs will be fixed soon, indeed this editor is very attractive and intuitive (for my opinion).

Cordialy.

Picture of J Franklin

CourseLab looks great at first glance.

My major issue with it is that it simply doesn't work on Opera. Considering that it is using html etc instead of Flash to make it usable on more machines this is just silly.

While the interface and options are great for the designer/teacher, I also didn't really like the way it displays the index - rather than using SCORM (on the left in Moodle) it has a layer that appears. This just doesn't look that good - and is not very intuitive.

Of course I commend them on providing it for free - but I still prefer the ease of use, output, and cross-platform of exe-learning.

Obviously it depends on what people want to do as to whether courselab meets their needs - and I'm sure for many it's a welcome addition to what they are using to produce SCORM content.

Difference between eXe and CourseLab

My major issue with it is that it simply doesn't work on Opera.

Yes, there are the problems with some XML methods in Opera (that's why it does not work). But we will implement workaround soon - work is in progress.

...the way it displays the index - rather than using SCORM (on the left in Moodle) it has a layer that appears...

Not quite correct. You mean index of the currently open module - it is in fact displayed inside the module, and if you've made the course, that consists of single module, then it is the only structure you can see. The left Moodle index panel displays the course structure - not the module structure. Imagine, that you've made course consisting of single page in eXe - that is absolutely the same situation with CourseLab single module course.

The eXe's page corresponds to CourseLab's module. The difference between eXe and CourseLab is that the eXe page is just page, and CourseLab module itself can be multi-page (and therefore can have internal structure). You may or may not use this feature (i.e. you can produce one-page modules in CourseLab too). This feature expands your abiliites - does not limit them.

If you want to build complex index on the left side of Moodle window, then you can use multi-module course structure - then every course module (or folder) will appear on the left Moodle index.

...but I still prefer the ease of use, output, and cross-platform of exe-learning.

Well, the tastes differ. Personally, I don't think that eXe is so easy-to-use smile

Vyacheslav Shchinov
CourseLab development Team
www.courselab.com

Picture of J Franklin
Re: Difference between eXe and CourseLab

I'm glad that you're on top of the Opera issue. As I said that was my major gripe with CourseLab - if it uses open standards then it really should work with all browsers - (I will of course accept it not working with Lynx though!).

My apologies if I was incorrect on its capabilities regarding the course structure.

Of course eXe and any other software's usability is a matter of opinion - and in no way did I want to give the impression that courseLab is not easy to use - just that I found out of the 4 systems I've tried (one which is pay for software and I now mainly use) eXe seems to be the fastest/easiest to use.

That said, I have had some problems with eXe and its functionality is limited.

As always it really depends what you want to do and how well something supports you in doing it.

I certainly commend you if you're fixing the Opera issues. I know that numerous other people right Opera off. I'd love to know when the fix is finished and then I'll probably add Courselab to my SCORM arsenal!

Picture of J Franklin
Re: Difference between eXe and CourseLab

I've just been back to look at courseLab - and I apologise for not realising how it worked. I totally agree that the functionality is greater than eXe regarding modules and content structure - especially when you use folders.

I think the first time I'd posted I'd had a severe case of if it doesn't work on my browser (which hardly anyone uses) then I'll assume it's not worth looking at! - Sorry!

Your software is actually very powerful - and considering the feature set, pretty easy to use too.

One request (or question if it already does it). It would be very useful to be able to add FLVs directly. I see you have normal movies and swfs as media objects, but not FLVs. A simple generic player that wrapped around the FLV at compile time would be very useful.

If you get Opera working then I'll switch from eXe - as you also have SCORM 2004 support.

Keep up the good work.

Time tracking

Dear Antoine!

Error alert - unfortunately there is not enough information on this issue. Would you like to tell us on which cmi parameter it was?

Time is tracked starting from build 20070529 (i.e. if you download the current build cmi.session_time will be sent to LMS).

Navigation buttons are inactive - there could be a lot of reasons for it. First, if there's no previous (or next) slide, then corresponding button (previous or next) becomes inactive automatically. Second, if you use Strict Navigation mode in navigation buttons object (see checkbox in object properties - it is on by default), then buttons become inactive while slide content is played - depending on slide content actions, delays and transitions. Third, if you switch off navigation buttons manually by NAVIGATION action, then they will be inactive until you switch them on by the same action. These reasons are most probable. Also feel free to ask our Support at support@courselab.com or at CourseLab Support section of our site.

Unfortunately, mirrors at Tucows and Download.com are updated with some delay, therefore I recommend always download CourseLab installer from our site.

Vyacheslav Shchinov,
CourseLab Development Team
www.courselab.com

Picture of Antonio López

Hi Vyacheslav,

I'm using Course Lab with Moodle and it works fine with IE, but it doesn't work properly with Mozilla. I have the following issues:
- The buttons for Next & Previous slides dissappear, although you can click on them if you pass the coursor over it. However, you cannnot see them. When I press on Previous or Next, it gives me back this error "NextSlide: Undefined".

- If i use the dropdown menu for the index, it doesn't work properly. When I try to go to any slide, it gives me back the following error: "CallMethod: nav_001_selector JumpToSlide Undefined".

Both thing work perfectly with IE. Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Antonio López

Hi, Antonio!

I've already answered your question on CourseLab forums. In short, it may be the bug that is already fixed, but to be sure we need to test your course sample to give you correct recommendations. Please send the short sample to support@courselab.com

Vyacheslav Shchinov,
CourseLab Development Team,
www.courselab.com

Picture of Antonio López

I'm using Course Lab with Moodle and I'm trying to get the course menu on the upper left hand side of the Moodle slide. I've tried to set up all slides titles, but there's no way. I'm attaching a simple image of what I'm trying to get, so you can better understand what I mean. I've marked the course menu in red.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Antonio. 

Modules and slides

Hi, Antonio!

In fact, you see the Course structure in the Moodle left pane - not the Module structure (this structure you see inside the Module). Therefore, if your course consists of only one module, then you will see just one module link in Moodle pane. If you will use more sophisticated COURSE structure - you will see folders and modules structure in left Moodle pane.

Also take a look at my message here in this thread "Difference between eXe and CourseLab" few topics ago.

Vyacheslav Shchinov
CourseLab development Team
www.courselab.com

Picture of Antonio López
Re: Modules and slides

Thanks a lot for your help, I thought that what you see on the Moodle pane were the titles of the slides from a single module.

Regards,

Antonio.

Picture of joyce littlejohn

Hi,

I don't want to see the course structure in the Moodle pane, just the tabs for contents. how do i switch this off in courselab please? When i run my module in scorm cloud the extra menu isn't there (that's the way i want it to look). reload scorm player also doesn't show the extra menu. when it plays in moodle it shows and i need to switch it off please.  i took a screenshot but it's bigger than permitted file size

thanks

Josiel

Picture of Dan Marsden
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators

Disabling the Moodle TOC depends a bit on what Moodle version you're using - later versions of moodle allow the Toc to be removed completely but earlier versions only allow it to be collapsed or hidden.

edit the settings of your SCORM in Moodle and look for the setting "Display course structure in player" - it's a hidden advanced option by default so make sure you hit the "show advanced" button in the form.

Picture of hans nep

using courselab, i did a course with 3 modules. each module finishes off with a quiz. can moodle combine the results of these module quizzes? where would i configure this? thanks.

this is joserey

Publish the course in scorm, then when you upload the scorm content into your moodle,
Home / ► your course / ► SCORMs/AICCs / ► your course full name / ► Editing SCORM/AICC, in "grading method" select sum grade. Don't forget to set the max score.

Picture of Fabio Henrique Gaudencio

God day,

I am studying the use of the software courselab with the moodle, for the creation of the distance courses using the standard scorm.

- I have some doubts on how to use and access the variables come by Java Script ramp courselab.
Variables such as:
- Name of the student ( like shows it in a box of text within a screen of courselab ).
- I want to know the progress of the course. ( As interaction with the variables of scorm. Noted that they have this option through ca box: ' current slide name', but need to perform this reading of the Direct Lms.
- Recovering note of the student. ( How do I show the note that the student has thenote in a text box ).

Obs:If possivél you explain in detail the procedures so that I can catch the variables related to scorm using moodle and courselab
shows it in'll be very grateful.

Thanks,

Fábio.

JK

I just create simple course (one module with 2 slides). After upload in Moodle it show " Sorry, the requested file could not be found".

Would you please be so kind and advice?

Best regards,
Jeeradate K.

Picture of Jeff Winkler

I am having the same problem.  I have loaded the module onto My Courselab and it runs fine.

JK

I think the problem may be because of Moodle and I found some solution as below link
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=96338

But I still don't know how to solve it in detail.

Best regards,
Jeeradate K.

Picture of Saravanan RS

Hai,

Can you help me by explaining how to export the quiz results of Course lab.

Regards,

R S

Picture of Bob Price

I have found that after uploading the course, you select the zip file or the LMS manifest.

You then get the error message.

Following this you go back and select the opposite file (ie: the zip file or the LMS manifest) that you selected first time round.

This then works for me.

Picture of Gabriel Aquino

Anyone HELP!

Can somebody please assist me in setting up my Courselab material so that it returns the score to moodle.

On Courselab end, I have setup the test objective and added completed and success rules. On the moodle end, it is set up to show grades based on learning objects.

Please tell me exactly what to setup. How come the score is not showing up at the Grade List.

Thanks

Picture of Khagendra Dhakal
How to edit SCORM course by CourseLab?????

Dear Vyacheslav and all! I am using CourseLab to develop SCORM courses. It has given very encouraging results both in producing the course in CD and IMS 2004 Package so far. Moodle has run it too. Still I need to work to produce other Versions and enjoy other features in SCORM. But before that,
I should edit a SCORM course by CourseLab, but how (as it doesn't recognize it)?

Picture of Daniel Warren
SCORM 1.2 and cmi.suspend_data size limit

Hi,

I created a course using CourseLab and published it as a SCORM 1.2 package. My course has numerous interactions (questions) whose interaction data is stored in cmi.suspend_data in the LMS.

Due to the limitations that SCORM 1.2 has in terms of how much data can be stored in cmi.suspend_data, I have been trying to find ways to reduce the amount of data that is saved in cmi.suspend_data in the LMS.

This will help address the issue of too much interaction data being stored in cmi.suspend_data in the LMS (which eventually results in error messages displaying).

I have had some success at reducing the amount of interaction data stored in cmi.suspend_data by altering the code in the files (runtime.xml and lms.js) contained in my published SCORM 1.2 course.

The only interaction data I need stored in cmi.suspend_data is the ID and LearnerResponse. So far, I have been able to prevent the following interaction data from being saved in cmi.suspend_data: Type, Weighting, Timestamp, Latency, and Result.

There are two additional interaction data that I want to prevent saving to cmi.suspend_data, namely the Description and something that looks like:

<rr><r p=\"0\"/></rr>.

Does anyone know how this can be done?

Thanks!

-Dan

p.s. Please be aware that I know that SCORM 2004 allows significantly more data to be stored in cmi.suspend_data, however, the LMS (Moodle) I am using currently does not fully support SCORM 2004, and I have already researched various alternative LMS options that claim to be SCORM 2004 compliant, only to find that in one way or another these LMS alternatives either fall short or are too expensive. Also, separating my course into smaller modules is not feasible and introduces other problems, since many of the interactions in the course are dependent upon one another. The solution I am seeking is eliminating specific interaction data (as described above) to cmi.suspend_data. Thanks! -Dan

Picture of Daniel Warren
SCORM 1.2 and cmi.interactions using CourseLab

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know how to make a CourseLab course published using SCORM 1.2, save ONLY the interaction ID and LearnerResponse data in an LMS? In other words, avoid saving interaction data like Description, Type, Weighting, Timestamp, Latency, and Result.

I’ve been looking for a solution using cmi.interactions that will record only the specific SCORM interaction data (interaction ID and LearnerResponse) that I need.

Thanks!

-Daniel

Picture of Rambabu Dola
Re: SCORM 1.2 and cmi.interactions using CourseLab

Hi Daniel,

Could you pls help me for change the name of SCROM/AICC in add an activity dropdown list. And pls find the attachment.

Picture of Daniel Warren

Hi Rambabu,

Let me make sure I understand your question: in the "Add an Activity" dropdown menu, you want to change the label "SCORM/AICC" to some other label, is this correct? If so, I am not sure how to do this.

By the way, I could not open the file you attached.

Regards,
-Daniel

Picture of Omar Troncoso

Hi,
If you want to change the label "SCORM/AICC" as David says, you need to edit the labels Moodle use in the language package.
Login as an administrator and go to the Site Administration menu.
Select Language\Language editing and click on the "edit word or phrases" link. Then in the drop menu select the file "scorm.php". You will see the form. Look for the field SCORM/AICC and change the label.

Regards,

Omar

Picture of Rambabu Dola

Hi Omar,

Thanks a lot for your help, now i could changed.

Thanks

Razvan:-)
Processing error using Next (or Prev) between Modules (SCOs)

I've built a very simple course: Module 1 (2 text slides) & Module 2 (1 text slide). I've setup Module & Course RT attributes and published it as SCORM 2004 packages. Uploaded to several LMSs (inluding cloud.scorm, to check the Registration & debug info).

All LMSs either do not allow (disabled) the Next between modules (SCOs), or allow it but throw a processing error.

The debug log (from cloud.scorm) is posted at http://cloud.scorm.com/sc/guest/ViewDebugLog?logId=8463d6ee-e734-4bfd-b9f6-cd8f937179f8&courseTitle=TestLMSNavNextSCO. Can't see anything that indicates what's going on (probably because in cloud.scorm the Next is disabled and, hence, I can't trigger the error).

Any tips on how to solve this problem? Any parameters I have overlooked?

Note: I can navigate directly to the modules, using the Course Structure.

Thanks,

Razvan smile

Picture of Krishna Thakur

I need a help on Media Player full screen isssue

When we double click on media player video, window maximizes to full screen but it works only once.

When we go to next slide and try to make full screen on other video it never works.

Help needed. Is it bug ?

Picture of Chris Plumtree

Hi There,

I am fairly new to using Courlab however we have previously had SCORM packages made for our Moodle system.

We seem to be having a problem with one package where it is created runs through moodle for the first time however it is not being set as complete. Moodle states that the package is incomplete even though after the last slide there is an action of Set Complete Status = "complete". Thus causing a problem that even when unlimited attempts are set and force new attempt is set you click start module and the first slide it shows is "congratualtions you have completed this lesson.

Any assistance that could be shed on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Picture of Dan Marsden
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators

looks like you're using 2.1 (I can see a bug in the toc there that only shows in 2.1) - first make sure you upgrade to the latest 2.1stable release (to get rid of the annoying TOC bug) - then please provide a bit more information - use the SCORM debugger to see what is happening:
http://docs.moodle.org/21/en/SCORM_FAQ#Debugging

also please see:
http://docs.moodle.org/21/en/SCORM_FAQ#Asking_for_Help_in_the_SCORM_Forum