Considering Using Moodle But Have Questions

Considering Using Moodle But Have Questions

από Ty Cesene -
Αριθμός απαντήσεων: 2
I am considering a move to Moodle, but have some questions about security and reports.

1. Can a student log in as himself simultaneously (more than once)? And if so, can this be stopped? If not, can he take the same quiz at the same time on both log ins? And if so, will every answer (or quiz attempt) be shown in the grade book?

***I am trying to prevent a student from taking a multiple choice quiz and just putting in the answers over and over until he gets each answer right without an easy way to spot record of it.

2. How flexible are the reports? Can I create a report for a student that shows every answer to every quiz he has taken?

3. Can I create a report for every quiz/assignment in a given class? How easily?

4. Can I pull a report for everything a student is missing in a class (or all classes s/he is assigned)?

5. How customizable is the layout? Will everything be a box?

This is a massive project and I know you are all busy people.
I appreciate any feedback.

thanks,

ty

Μέσος όρος βαθμολογίας: -
Σε απάντηση σε Ty Cesene

Re: Considering Using Moodle But Have Questions

από Anthony Borrow -
Φωτογραφία Core developers Φωτογραφία Plugin developers Φωτογραφία Testers
I am happy to hear that you are considering using Moodle. As a teacher, I have found it a wonderful way to help my students learn. Currently, my students are taking a sample final exam as a way of preparing for their actual final exam which will be given using Moodle in a supervised computer lab.

1. Yes - by default, students can login from multiple locations simultaneously. I have read of some patches to prevent this but I have not tried any of those. You will need to investigate further by searching the forums to see what might be available there.
2. If a teacher sets up the quiz to allow students to view their attempts the student can review the answer he/she provided. If the teacher further allows for the correct answer to be displayed they can see what answer they should have put. In version 1.8 and beyond, these are clearly indicated with a nice little green check mark for correct answers and a red X for incorrect answers.
3. There are a variety of reports that show user activity. It is easy to go in and see how many students have pulled up a given resource (that is how I checked to see if the students bothered to do a reading assignment - of course I realize that just because they pull it up does not guarantee that they will read it but getting them to open the book is one step closer). Similarly for quizzes and assignments you can easily see who has viewed and submitted assignments. For example, I have had students giving presentation this past week and I would order the presentation by the date submitted so that the student who first completed and submitted his assignment presented first. Usually there are several ways to skin that proverbial cat.
4. For each user you can easily go to their activity report and view the outline report (or the complete report for me details) which will give you an idea of what they have done or not done in a course. I have found this helpful during parent/teacher conferences.
5. I'm not sure what you mean by customizations - you can choose a variety of themes but it does seem like most of the reports are in boxes. If you do not like the way that it looks then I think you would be able to adjust things fairly easily by designing a custom theme.

I would really encourage you to spend some time playing with Moodle. There is a small learning curve; however, once you get the hang of it you may be hooked (at least I was). We provided one morning of training to our faculty (about 100 teachers) for a 1000 students. The presentation spoke of the various modules and what could be done with Moodle. The hands on part of the training basically taught the teachers how to upload a file (i.e. their syllabus) since that was the only requirement. I have been amazed at how much more the teachers have done with Moodle with no subsequent training. Most of that was driven by students requesting to have the information available to them and happily the teachers responded. Best of luck as you consider Moodle and please feel free to write back with any follow up questions or concerns you might have. I have found the Moodle community to be remarkably responsive. Peace.