Using files between multiple courses

Using files between multiple courses

by Leesa Collin -
Number of replies: 5

I have a set of graphic organisers that I use in all my courses.  Can I place these files in the 'site' folder and link to them from any course??? 

Is there another better way??

Cheers

Leesa Collin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Leesa Collin

Re: Using files between multiple courses

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Yes, files placed in the 'site' folder can be accessed bu all users, from all courses (actually, I think they can even be accessed from outsite of your Moodle installation.

Another option might be just to use webspace somewhere else(outside of your Moodle) to hold these files...

... or to wait for the DMS system (which is being developed right now) smile
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by Leesa Collin -

Thanks for the reply

I'm using Moodle 1.2 and when I'm in a course and want to link to any uploaded files I only get the option of files that have been uploaded into that course; not the site files as well.

Is this what its suposed to do???

cheers Leesa

In reply to Leesa Collin

by Bryan Williams -

Leesa,

Moodle stores uploaded files in your moodledata (or whatever you have named it) folder, and not the database.  Site files are located in folder 1 (as in course 1).  Each course has a unique id number with a corresponding folder number.  Files uploaded into these different locations are tagged with PHP code, so they are viewable when using the HTML editor.  Hence, you can only see and make links to files in the HTML editor link properties that are associated with that course.  Site files will only be viewable when within the homepage, course files when in a specific course etc.  The solution you are looking for is to create a separate folder somewhere on the web server and store your regularly used files.  You can then simply add the link in the HTML editor to the files location manually (e.g. http://mysite/coursefiles/bigchart.csv).  Keep in mind that if you locate this storage folder inside the web root your files will be publicly accessible.

Hope this helps,

Bryan

In reply to Bryan Williams

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
and if you add in that folder an empty index.html file, it will be much more difficult to track them down for outsiders
In reply to koen roggemans

by W Page -
Thanks for that tip Koen.

I have bookmarked it.

WP1