Portability of Moodle

Portability of Moodle

by Martín Langhoff -
Number of replies: 4
I am interested in how portable Moodle is, and reports of non-standard platforms running it. So far I have configured it on Linux (Debian stable & unstable, no doubt it'll run on any distro) and MacOSX Panther. People seem to be running it on IIS/Win32, too.

Is there anyone running it on BSDs other than OSX? Also, has anyone used thttpd, AOLserver or Zeus?

cheers,

martin
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martín Langhoff

Re: Portability of Moodle

by Arne Gylseth -

I have tested it on Red Hat 7.3 and 9.0 that I bleive is "the standard way".

Have now also tested it running from a memory stick put into a Windows 2000 server. Stopped the IIS and started Apache+php+mysql+moodle from the memory stick. Worked quite well, exept to a bit decrease in speed due to use of a USB 1.1 and not USB 2.0 Memory stick.  

(Also tried to tranfer the installation from the memory stick to C:\ drive. This gave a bit bether performance.)

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=5507

From a "technical point of view" I believe that Moodle basically is a set of PHP scripts running against Mysql+Apache+PHP so that any server that support this basic technology will also as a general principle support Moodle. To be really sure about this, It has of course to be tested.

In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Operating systems I've personally seen Moodle running on:

Redhat Linux
Debian Linux
FreeBSD
OpenBSD
Mac OS X
Windows32 (under Apache and IIS)
Netware 6
Solaris
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Huib van Wees -
I.M.H.O. Moodle runs on every Linux... as long as MySQL and a webserver with php support is available.

I ran it on SuSE linux and now my Moodle is running on Gentoo Linux.

Regards,

Huib

Martin: What webserver was used on Netware?