RE: problem in making the config.php file while installing moodle.1.7.2

RE: problem in making the config.php file while installing moodle.1.7.2

by Ajeet Nagmote -
Number of replies: 15
HI,
As i mentioned in the subject the problem is to create config.php file. i am installing the moodle on linux platform. i got the install.php page. But after i came on the mysql installation.
Type : mysql
host server: localhost
Database: moodle
user: root
password : *********
Table prefix: mdl_

After fill up all the entities click on the next button the following error is shown:

" PHP has not been properly configured with the MySQL extension so that it can communicate with MySQL. Please check your php.ini file or recompile PHP."

here it get stop, so i am not able to make the config.php file.

i also checked the php.ini file, In that mbstring is there, but all are commented code. i used the fedora 2 to install the moodle. The file called php.ini in which mysql setting is shown as follows.

What should i have to change into it to install the moodle on the machine?

Thank you.
Regards,
Ajeet.

(Edited by Mauno Korpelainen / MDLSITE-369 - php.ini copied and pasted into attached text file - original submission Friday, 18 May 2007, 11:59 AM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ajeet Nagmote

Re: RE: problem in making the config.php file while installing moodle.1.7.2

by Richard Enison -

AN (& MK & any RedHat experts out there),

Okay. So you are using RedHat Linux (I think!). This link might help: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=35056; also maybe http://docs.moodle.org/en/RedHat_Linux_installation.

If not, maybe one of the real Linux/PHP/MySQL experts can provide further assistance. This is not my area of expertise. In the meantime, you might want to post:

1. What version of RedHat Linux you are using (e.g. 8 or 9.0)
  2. What version of MySQL you have (e.g. 4.1.12)
  3. What version of PHP (e.g. 4.3.0 or 5.1.0)
  4. The contents of your phpinfo file output (see http://docs.moodle.org/en/phpinfo)

I do know that it is necessary but not sufficient for you to uncomment some of those lines in your php.ini file.

HTH (in spite of everything!)

RLE

In reply to Richard Enison

by Richard Enison -

AN,

I just noticed that at the bottom of the page pointed to by the first link in my previous post, there is a link to a LAMPS installation tutorial that contains the exact commands needed to configure PHP for MySQL and a few other things. Unfortunately, it's in German. However, there is a link at the top to the English translation. Here is a link to the part of the English version of it that deals with configuring PHP: http://lamps.efactory.de/e-lamps-2-0.php#inst-php.

RLE

by Richard Enison -

AN,

Sorry about question #1 in my previous post. It was based on a misunderstanding on my part of the relationship of Fedora to Red Hat. You can ignore it. EDIT: For that matter, if HM's & MK's posts have solved your problem, you can ignore all of them!

RLE

In reply to Ajeet Nagmote

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It's not that complicated - you aven't installed the mysql module for php. I'm not too familia with Fedora but you should be able to do a search in your package installation program and add the module. That should fix it.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Just as Howard said, you only need a couple commands like

yum install php-mysql

to install that module in Fedora 2 and

/etc/init.d/httpd restart

to restart apache

or install correct php-mysql RPM package

http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=php-mysql

(I'm not using Fedora either...but it's almost like Debian big grin)

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Richard Enison -

MK,

Okay. I might be missing something, but doesn't AN need to at least uncomment the lines in php.ini dealing with mbstring? Or will installing the MySQL module handle that automatically? You did mention mbstring, among other things, in your earlier post.

RLE

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I'm more of a Debian man myself, but installing the module normally *just works*. It's unusual to have to fiddle with php.ini to get stuff like that to go.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Yes,

no need in linux and if mbstring itself is not installed a command like

yum install php-mbstring

should usually be enough in Fedora 2 to install that package (if not, google gives more help)

by Richard Enison -

MK,

Just out of idle curiosity, Google gives more help if we search for what? mbstring? php-mbstring? php-mysql? Fedora? Some combination of these?

By the way, I just read that Fedora 2 is no longer supported.

RLE

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Richard,

I just think that the main purpose of these forums is to help people to install and use moodle - there are lots of documents about installing linux etc and searching with google for example gives those answers without me, you or Howard. If somebody can't find something I will do my best to help them and this is no way personal.

Fedora 2 is...old. It's the same for all versions of linux, Windows and even moodle. Some versions are stable, some development and some old...but we still use them all. wink

by Richard Enison -

MK,

Of course. But I didn't start this thread. I'm sure many of the Moodlers who have problems installing Moodle are newbies not only to Moodle, but to e-learning, even the use of computers and the Internet. If they can't get the Moodle installation process to work, the distinction between a Moodle problem, a PHP problem, a Linux problem, or a download problem is a bit too subtle for them. They just need someone to give them the step-by-step.

BTW I should have mentioned in my previous post that my favorite search engine (ask.com) is how I found the first link I gave AN in my first post in this thread. As I recall the search was for "RedHat php mysql".

Sorry if I cluttered up Moodle's portion of cyberspace too much. sad

RLE

by Mauno Korpelainen -

I agree. One good place for step-by-step guides could be http://docs.moodle.org/en/RedHat_Linux_installation (we may all improve docs)

You haven't cluttered up anything, you have given a huge amount of valuable answers to many moodlers - including myself. The fact that I am lazy to write step-by-step guides and prefer giving links does not mean that you should act like me. I REALLY APPRECIATE your answers! smile

Mauno

by Howard Miller -
I wrote that during the last ice age. I honestly don't know how relevant it is any more. I should really do it again for a more modern distro (I'm on to Ubuntu server - debian in a frock - these days)

by Richard Enison -

MK,

Thx for clearing that up. And yeah, I was thinking the same thing about enhancing the docs, even if it's just putting in links to the Linux suppliers' web pages.

RLE

by Howard Miller -
It's the age old catch-22 problem. The reality is that to build a production quality server for Moodle you do need some system administrator experience (especially of the operating system you choose to use). How you get that is another matter. Step by step guide help, but are a poor substitute for experience.

It's a lot easier running a Unix box than it used to be of course.