I'm wondering if you guys can help.
It doesn't make any difference wether there are five peple or no people logged into moddle, it takes from 10-15 secs for any page to load.
At the moment no more than 5 people have taken a quiz at any time and even each quiz page can take up to 15 seconds to load.
Logging in as Admin, with no one lese on the site takes the same amount of time to load ANY page.
The site is on a Windows 2003 server. All other Intranet sites run fine, and there isn't usually too much traffic on the sites.
Any advice here would be helpful.
First things before going into details, we need to identify if it is an IIS, a server hardware or database issue. Have you installed a php accelerator or done any database optimisation? If not take a look at the performance docs or, better still, the gems of wisdom contained in search results in this forum . There are some known performance issues with moodle 1.8 in the tracker, so take a look in there also to see if any of these apply to you.
Let us know if you get any better performance.
For Windows, try installing APC first. See the instructions here (http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installing_APC_in_Windows). Also, check that you're running the phpisapi dll not the cgi in the web service extensions part of IIS manager - otherwise a php opcode cache makes no sense. If the site is still very slow, then its a mysql problem.
Sorry for the delay in responding, been working on sites in Europe, just back.
I think the server itself, as you have suggested is the problem and is being overworked. Its running Windows 2003 server with IIS 6.0 and seems to be an old Pentium 3 Raid server of some sort.
It was never running too much up to Moodle being installed, just one of the local Intranet sites.
I have ordered a new Server and will try to convince the IT Department to allow Apache instead of IIS as they seem to want IIS installed due to site auditing agreements (or something like that). I try to stay clear of those issues.
Will let you know if any improvement with the new hardware.
We have just completed a pilot implementation of Moodle 1.7+ and page loading appears to be getting slower all the time. We had 120 students, 12 teachers and 10 courses using Moodle during a 4 month period. The numbers will double the next semester.
I have no direct access to the server running Moodle and have to go through the IT Manager for all changes. I have already carried out all the suggestions in the Moodle Admin settings section at: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Performance.
Here is some information that might help:
Platform and config details on which Moodle is now running:
Windows2000 / P4 630, SATA Raid 300GB HDD, 512 MB DDR2.
PHP version 5.1.4
249804 *free* RAM is displayed in task manager.
Page file usage displayed in task manager: 53020
Max_connections set to for mysql (my.ini): 16384 (default)
Values of ThreadsPerChild and MaxRequestsPerChild in apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
ThreadsPerChild 250 (default)
MaxRequestsPerChild 0 (default)