Slow loading pages all the time

Slow loading pages all the time

by David Nash -
Number of replies: 7

Hi,

I'm wondering if you guys can help.

It doesn't make any difference wether there are five peple or no people logged into moddle, it takes from 10-15 secs for any page to load.

At the moment no more than 5 people have taken a quiz at any time and even each quiz page can take up to 15 seconds to load.

Logging in as Admin, with no one lese on the site takes the same amount of time to load ANY page.

The site is on a Windows 2003 server. All other Intranet sites run fine, and there isn't usually too much traffic on the sites.

Any advice here would be helpful.

cheers

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Nash

Re: Slow loading pages all the time

by Ken Wilson -

Hi Darren

First things before going into details, we need to identify if it is an IIS, a server hardware or database issue. Have you installed a php accelerator or done any database optimisation? If not take a look at the performance docs or, better still, the gems of wisdom contained in search results in this forum wink. There are some known performance issues with moodle 1.8 in the tracker, so take a look in there also to see if any of these apply to you.

Let us know if you get any better performance.

Ken

In reply to Ken Wilson

by David Nash -

Hi,

It's running IIS 6 and I have no PHP Accelerator installed and I haven't done any Database optimisations.

I'll have alook around the forums to see how I do these things.

cheers

In reply to David Nash

by Ken Wilson -

For Windows, try installing APC first. See the instructions here (http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installing_APC_in_Windows). Also, check that you're running the phpisapi dll not the cgi in the web service extensions part of IIS manager - otherwise a php opcode cache makes no sense. If the site is still very slow, then its a mysql problem.

In reply to David Nash

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It could simply be a desparately underspecced server. You say other stuff works fine, how much other stuff? You might simply be running too much on this machine. Moodle is quite demanding in the great scheme of things. What's the spec of your machine?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
> It could simply be a desparately underspecced server.

The software you mean, like Windows 2003 (it is 2007 here) or IIS?

> You might simply be running too much on this machine.

see above.

[SCNR]
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by David Nash -

Sorry for the delay in responding, been working on sites in Europe, just back.

I think the server itself, as you have suggested is the problem and is being overworked. Its running Windows 2003 server with IIS 6.0 and seems to be an old Pentium 3 Raid server of some sort.

It was never running too much up to Moodle being installed, just one of the local Intranet sites.

I have ordered  a new Server and will try to convince the IT Department to allow Apache instead of IIS as they seem to want IIS installed due to site auditing agreements (or something like that). I try to stay clear of those issues.

Will let you know if any improvement with the new hardware.

Cheers again

In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Neena J.T. -

Hi,

We have just completed a pilot implementation of Moodle 1.7+ and page loading appears to be getting slower all the time. We had 120 students, 12 teachers and 10 courses using Moodle during a 4 month period. The numbers will double the next semester.

I have no direct access to the server running Moodle and have to go through the IT Manager for all changes. I have already carried out all the suggestions in the Moodle Admin settings section at: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Performance.

Here is some information that might help:

Platform and config details on which Moodle is now running:
Windows2000 / P4 630, SATA Raid 300GB HDD, 512 MB DDR2.
PHP version 5.1.4
No IIS
 249804 *free* RAM is displayed in task manager.
Page file usage  displayed in task manager:  53020
Max_connections set to for mysql (my.ini): 16384 (default)
Values of ThreadsPerChild and MaxRequestsPerChild in apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
ThreadsPerChild 250 (default)
MaxRequestsPerChild 0 (default)

Thanks.