SCORM Package Reuse

SCORM Package Reuse

by Patrick Vartuli -
Number of replies: 7

Is there a way to only have one location for SCORM packages that are launched in courses?  I am looking for this to support multiple courses that use the same SCORM content.  This would help to minimize the effort to update content when needed by allowing the instructor/developer to only have to update one package vice one per course.

I have looked into using DOOR but it actuall provides a copy of the package to the course.  This would not accomplish what I am looking for becuase I would have to update every instance in every course.

I would appreciate any assistance in finding resolution for this.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Patrick Vartuli

Re: SCORM Package Reuse

by Dave Bauer -
Hi, we also need reusable SCORM. Right now we have 200 SCORM courses imported into Moodle. We have one central class where they are all uploaded. Right now we need to copy those each time they are used.

This obviously does not scale. Particularly because these are updated regularly and we need to then copy every SCORM course into every class that uses it when they are updated.

In this case we could use a way to allow all students access to the centralized class that contains the SCORM content, but suppress showing this class in the list. All the existing "Hide" options make the item inaccessible, not just hidden in the list.

I can see a way to modify the SCORM pages to allow this, but I am wondering if there is a better supported way to do this.

In reply to Dave Bauer

by Dave Bauer -
Replying to myself it seems like there is a better way to "link" a SCORM activity in one class to the uploaded SCORM id in another class. This is much cleaner than fooling with permissions and visibility.

In reply to Dave Bauer

by Stefano Todaro -

Hi,

certainly it's not good to concentrate in one class all access in hide way about students. But it's also true that, it's not confortable to copy, also in automatic way, all SCORM upgraded in every relative courses.
I thought that every courses uses SCORM SCO about like an instance object or with an absolute address, so every time SCORM SCO are updated every courses it doesn't have any troubles.
For now don't see any other solutions.

In reply to Stefano Todaro

by Dave Bauer -
Well, using a class makes it possible to actually upload the files. It's simple and uses the existing features of Moodle. To create a seperate file upload just for SCORM would be more complicated.

I am open to anything though as long as it works and it makes managing a library of SCORM objects possible.
In reply to Dave Bauer

by Dave Bauer -
We are using now the ims content repository with SCORM. This is exactly what you need.
http://docs.moodle.org/en/IMS_content_package
In reply to Dave Bauer

by José Miguel Andonegi -
Hi Dave:

I would like to use ims repository to reuse SCORM packages. I´ve been able to deploy SCORM packages in the repository and I can use them as IMS resources, but I've not been able to choose the packages in the repostory from SCORM activities.

How are you using the SCORM packages in the repository, as resources or as activities.

Thanks a lot!
In reply to José Miguel Andonegi

by José Miguel Andonegi -
Finally I've been able to use the repository from SCORM activities. The trick is to insert the configuration strings mentioned for moodle/mod/resource/type/ims/repository_config.php in config.php file.

Now it works fine.