e-mail mentee/parent on completion

e-mail mentee/parent on completion

Justin P
Number of replies: 8
Hello,
I've seen a couple different ways to e-mail specified addresses when a student completes a quiz. But from what I've seen they all involved manually putting in an e-mail address. I would like to have the results e-mail to the mentee/parent when the quiz is completed. Has anyone done this before or have any ideas of a good way of going about it?
I'm kinda new to Moodle but I feel that many would benefit from this being built in to Moodle.
평균 등급 : -
In reply to Justin P

Re: e-mail mentee/parent on completion

Stephen Francis
There is a plugin for this I'm sure called "Quiz Email Notification". Get it from going to moodle.org and on top left you'll see Modules and Plugins. Get it from there I think

Steve
In reply to Stephen Francis

Just H
Unfortunately, that hack won't do what the OP is looking for if I understand it correctly i.e. an email to be sent to a dynamic address (e.g. the students parent) rather than specific addresses.

We don't have parents/mentees in our organisation so not something we thought of or looked into.

There is "official" work going on along these lines so might be an idea to add a feature request. See this thread and in Moodle docs here.

Regards
H
In reply to Just H

Graham Miller
The official "Email Notification" code that is being built into version 1.9 of Moodle will send notification emails to any "role" that has the email attributes set in the "role override" section of the quiz or course.

If you visit the feature request linked at the top of the docs page previously mentioned, you will find a patch for version 1.9 which will almost run on 1.8 of moodle too. I have not tested as I developed this feature on 1.8 and we created it for 1.9 as the "official" version. So it might be better if you request the patch for version 1.8 that I have here and I can post it in this thread if you like. My 1.8 patch does not take note of groupings.

So to notify anyone, you would need to have them as a registered user in Moodle and all in a common role. It is designed to notify supervisors and teachers of all quiz submissions. It does take note of the groupings, but it would be a pain to group by every parent or student so that you can have an email notification to a separate parent for each student.... is possible I guess, but I would not want to administer it.

This feature (as is) is more than likely not what the OP wanted if I read it right. Unless he is talking about a small group of parents for a larger group of students and all parents receiving all student notifications (or a different sub-group of students each).

Another way of wagging the dog would be if you can control the mailboxes of each student and perhaps duplicate emails with certain subjects. This would also be a bit of a pain in the ..... but could use the "confirmation" feature to the student him/her self and copy to someone in the mailbox processing.

This is also messy. Personally I would not do that as it is a maintenance nightmare.

Hope this helps
Graham
In reply to Graham Miller

Tim Hunt
Core developers 사진 Documentation writers 사진 Particularly helpful Moodlers 사진 Peer reviewers 사진 Plugin developers 사진
The way you could do it based on the 1.9 work is to use groups, and create lots of groups that just contain the student, and the parent or mentor. Then set the quiz to separate groups, and set the parent/mentor role to get email whenever someone in their group completes a quiz.
In reply to Tim Hunt

unformatted :)
I have 1.9 and that kind of configuration. But when a news student register and have no group, when he finish a quiz all teachers receive the notification. It´s possible when a student without group finish a quiz only the admin or nobody receive that notification?

thanks
In reply to unformatted :)

Tim Hunt
Core developers 사진 Documentation writers 사진 Particularly helpful Moodlers 사진 Peer reviewers 사진 Plugin developers 사진
Ah, that sounds like a bug. Could you file it at tracker.moodle.org, and I will look into it when I get back from my Christmas Holidays. Thanks.