Restore sucking up vast amounts of memory

Restore sucking up vast amounts of memory

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I've got a restore (from a backup done in 1.5.4) failing with...

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /var/www/moodle/stable16/lib/xmlize.php on line 53

I've got my memory limit set at 256M. It sits at "Creating Course Modules" for about 30 minutes prior to this.

It's a big course with some very large forums, but this seems odd. Not sure what to do to further debug. Any suggestions appreciated.

I'm trying to restore in the latest 1.6 by the way, I might give it a go in 1.8 just to see.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Restore sucking up vast amounts of memory

by Ken Wilson -
Try doubling the memory_limit or disabling it by setting it to -1 (then re-setting it back to 256M once the restore is finished). I seem to recall that the overall limiting factor is set in linux by the per process limit (uname -a) if php is compiled without the --enable-memory-limit setting. You may also need to increase your php timeout settings.
In reply to Ken Wilson

Re: Restore sucking up vast amounts of memory

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Thanks Ken,

I did that and now it runs out of execution time. It isn't *that* big a course (compared to others). I think something's broken sad

EDIT:
Newsflash. It was the $&%%$%$&^ quizzes!!! We backed it up without the quiz activities and it restored in no time at all. What's that all about I wonder thoughtful
In reply to Howard Miller

Quiz attempts restore sucking up vast amounts of memory

by Howard Miller -
Yep - the quizzes had about 1500 attempts across 8 quizzes. Backing up without user data (for quiz only), although not ideal, made the difference.

Just for the record, in case anybody else stumbles on this problem.