MySQL table format preference

MySQL table format preference

by Paolo Oprandi -
Number of replies: 2
Hi all,
I was wondering what the recommended mysql table format for Moodle was. I read somewhere that innodb was recommended, so I was intending to change from myisam this summer. I am particularly interested in innodb as it allows table locking, which will improve the reliabilty of backups, however, I also understand that it is slower for reads. Is innodb still the recommended format?
Thanks,
Paolo
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paolo Oprandi

Re: MySQL table format preference

by Ken Wilson -

Hi Paolo

In this thread, Martin reverted back to MyISAM because of processor load. Looking at the code, I can't find anywhere where moodle uses any of the transaction processing features of innodb (and innodb uses more memory) - but maybe this will be changing in the next version. If it does change, then this will lock-out many users who install in hosted environments where innodb is switched-off by default. The key metric to look at is (as Howard points out in the thread above) that the read:write ratio >= 90%, otherwise innodb may be a candidate. If your read:write ratio is less than 90%, there are still optimisation steps that can be done without changing the database type.

So, where did you read that innodb was recommended for moodle?

Thanks 

Ken

In reply to Ken Wilson

Re: MySQL table format preference

by Paolo Oprandi -
Hi Ken,
At one point it was on the installation notes on docs.moodle.org I believe. Its not there now though, hence, my asking.
Thanks for your quick reply,
Paolo