Problem with roles, meta courses in Moodle 1.8

Problem with roles, meta courses in Moodle 1.8

от mark lawson -
Количество ответов: 2

I am new to this forum and hope this query can be answered here - apologies for previous post on development forum. 

(Background -

I have been trying to work around the flat hierarchical structure of Moodle because I do not want pages that run on forever and I am trying to encourage teachers / content developers not to just dump everything in endless lists).

I have read and searched the Moodle documentation and developer / admin’ forums, but can't find an answer.

More specific -

I have many courses that have the following structure. They are organized first by Specialization and then by Semester (1-4). Within that, there are several technical courses, plus some shared courses such as science, math, English. Also, in this system, students are enrolled by semester.

I tried using sub categories and this gets me close to how I want the main page to look from the users’ view. For example, I can have "Electrical" as the main category, then, "Semester 1 Semester 2", etc. as sub-categories; where I can put all the courses (which by the way all have unique code courses). This give me a nice user-friendly tree-structure.

However, using this solution then means I cannot assign meta course status at the semester level, as this is, after all, still a Moodle category. This means that by solving the front end ease-of-use and look, I have complicated the back-end task of enrollment.

So, after checking this site, I tried setting up a course for enrolment only in Semester 1 sub-category. Thus, I set up the course, assigned some ‘child’ courses to it and then hid it from students (as I saw suggested on one forum).

Fine, except when I try to enroll my test student using Assign Role, I see this message:

"Can not assign this role to user "ops sem" because Manage metacourse capability is needed."

If I have to assign unique permissions for metacourse capability, it defeats the purpose of having the meta courses anyway!

I am really going round in circles with this. Has anyone found a more elegant and workable solution?

В ответ на mark lawson

Re: Problem with roles, meta courses in Moodle 1.8

от Michael Schwab -
Dear Mark,

I am not sure if I do understand all of your troubles, but here's what we do (which might be of help):

1. We have a few 'central' courses, which function as 'portals' into additional courses, where students do the actual learning. For example, one of these centrals could be 'Photography' and attached to it might be 'Darkroom Techniques', 'Studio lighting' etc. When I say 'attached' I mean that the central course is a child (!) course to the other courses (which are metacourses (!)) [This is most important and has confused me a lot: a child course is the course to which you assign metacourses. A metacourse is a course you can 'attach' to a number of child courses. Photography in my example is a child!]

2. Photography students enrol in the central course, but needn't enrol in any attached (meta) courses to make it easier.

-> that is all! One problem is the course list, which would show all of the metacourses and make people want to enrol directly etc. You can change the code somewhere (I would have to ask our admin) which hides all meta courses from the course list, so students will only see the central courses and from within these they can go to the metacourses. They never enter a metacourse from the course list!

Advantage: Simple, clear list of courses for the students; navigation through central courses to detailed course material.

Michael
В ответ на Michael Schwab

Re: Problem with roles, meta courses in Moodle 1.8

от mark lawson -

Dear Michael

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I was confused with the meta course/child terms and I'll try replicating what you did to see if this works for me.

Our web administrator is averse to any code hacks, so I'll try to add the step of hiding the meta child course after creating it.

Best,

mark