Ground Up Help required... Getting Maths into Moodle

Ground Up Help required... Getting Maths into Moodle

by Mike Wakeford -
Number of replies: 6

I am a Moodle-newbie and need guidance on how to get equations and mathematical notation included on the courses related to Mathematics and Statistics. 

I have spent some time looking into the forums and documentation area in Moodle.  From what I have read I understand that currently there is no WYSIWYG editor available, but clearly, from the discussions, people are successfully getting things out using filters, LaTeX, plugins and other solutions. While I can pick up some information from these discussions, they do require a background knowledge that I currently do not possess, and I am left more bewildered and baffled than before!

Is there a place anyone can recommend that I can go to that will give me support from the ground up in doing this? 

Are there any instructions that need to be passed on to the Moodle administrators at our school regarding the way Moodle is set up?

Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

Regards,

Mike

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Wakeford

Re: Ground Up Help required... Getting Maths into Moodle

by John Isner -
Start by having your administrator activate the TeX filter. Once you have played with LaTeX, you will understand some of those challenges people are talking about in the forums, particularly the challenges facing students. You may also want to download TeXaide (free) or purchase MathType.
In reply to John Isner

by Mike Wakeford -

Thank you very much, John. I have installed Moodle 1.7 on my laptop so I have administrator rights and activated the TeX filter... success big grin.  I already own an up-to-date version of MathType, so once I'd adjusted the translator I was getting functioning LaTeX script.

Thanks once again for your input ... greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

by Mike Wakeford -

The Moodle administrator has activated the TeX filter at my school, but pages I create using LaTeX from MathType are not being rendered - I get the dreaded little red 'x' graphic representing that picture object cannot be displayed.  I have no idea where to go from here. Are there any settings/permissions or other things that I can ask him to play around with?

All help and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Regards

Mike

by David Wright -
In mathtype, you have to make sure that you set the translator to plain tex-latex.  Then, all you have to do is cut and paste into moodle.
In reply to David Wright

Ang: Re: Ground Up Help required... Getting Maths into Moodle

by Morten Brydensholt -

I use MathType 4.0b and Moodle 1.8 and I just can't copy/paste into Moodle. I get some double spaces that produces some ugly A's.

Besides I get two unwanted lineshifts and also my spaces in text-mode disappears.

So I wrote my own translators to use with Moodle (attached if anyone is interested). One nice thing is the "\displaystyle " in front of all fractions to make the font larger in fractions.

But I would like to know if newer versions of MathType really produces bug-free output to Moodle.

Best regards

Morten