User Management Improvements

User Management Improvements

by Andrei Băutu -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi.

I'm a GSoC 2007 student. My mentor is Yu Zhang and we're focusing on user management improvements (http://docs.moodle.org/en/Student_projects#User_Management_Improvements).

I've included some goals in the docs page (http://docs.moodle.org/en/Student_projects/User_Management_Improvements) which is still work in progress.

I would appreciate any suggestions and remarks you have on this topics.

Thank you,
Andrei.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrei Băutu

回應: User Management Improvements

by HUI CHUN KIT -
Dear all,

I am not sure whether I should post this idea/question here in this forum. I am new to Moodel developement although I've been using it for years.

I do think that we can have improvements in the user management UI. For example, it would be nice to have a common (shared) user selector which allows filtering of user accounts by different criteria. In role assignment (1.8) and groups assignment, we can assign users to roles/groups. However, we can only search by firstname/lastname. I think it would be nice to setup a search UI which allows user search by arbitrary attribute (even User profile fields).

In fact, I am going to implement test in my site. But I am not sure which mode of implementation is the best to the development of Moodle.

Any comments and suggestions?

Cheers,
Jacky Hui

In reply to HUI CHUN KIT

Re: User Management Improvements

by Andrei Băutu -
Good ideea! I'll "study" the problem and let you know how it is going. Meanwhile, if you get something working, please share ;)
Drupal has an additive filter: you can connect different criterias by ORs and ANDs.

Bye,
Andrei
In reply to Andrei Băutu

by Dan Poltawski -
Yeah - I Iike the idea of an additive filter, particuarly if it can deal with the new customisable user profile fields. I suspect one of the difficulties is going to be finding a way to make it intuitive to use so that it feels like a definite aid. But having the ability to do more 'management' operations than is currently possible is a good start!
In reply to Dan Poltawski

by Andrei Băutu -
Hi,

I don't know if you noticed it, but Yu put the code for the user filter component in CVS a few weeks ago. Curently it is used by the bulk operations form (available in the menu Administration/Users/Accounts/Bulk user actions).
A short description (to be continued) is available at http://docs.moodle.org/en/Student_projects/User_Management_Improvements

Andrei
In reply to Andrei Băutu

回應: Re: User Management Improvements

by HUI CHUN KIT -
Not yet have anything nice enough and working. It's not easy to design an intuitive interface for additive filtering. I will take a look in Drupal's interface later.

I do want to help in further developing the idea, please keep me informed if there are any news.

By the way, there are many places with a list of users will be shown in a flexible table (roles, grades, assignment, groups etc.), or a list of users in a user selection UI like roles and groupings. Would it be possible to factor out this user list and put it into form components? It would be nice if we can choose the columns to be shown esp those user-defined profile fields.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Jacky Hui

In reply to Andrei Băutu

by Sean Keogh -
Hi,

I notice that you mention improvements to the .csv upload - it would be nice to be able to upload a .csv of usernames, with a delete command (rather like with the flat-file enrolment module) so that bulk user deletions could take place in batch mode, rather than via a web interface (although the ability to mark multiple users and then perform a common operation, whether that is deletion or something else, would be a great thing - an option I've been asking for for the last few years - see multiple feature requests on this by me and others). Also, the ability to sort users (or filter, as someone else has mentioned in this thread) and then have the sort or filter *last*, rather than having it reset every time you perform an operation, would be great.

At the moment, if I sort by last-logged-in date, to find all the olde accounts, then delete one of them (I have no ability to choose more than one) when I am returned to the list, the sort has gone - so I have to do it again.

thanks

Sean K
In reply to Sean Keogh

by Andrei Băutu -
Hi,

We haven't done the CSV delete request yet (I'll ask Yu about it), but some of the other request are available in CSV. The Bulk actions form (available in the menu Administration/Users/Accounts/Bulk user actions) allows you to filter users based on various criteria and perform operations on them (delete, confirm, etc).

The filter keeps its settings during your current work session.

We'll add more filters soon to help you with your task.