Nobody can update profiles

Nobody can update profiles

per Randy Larson -
Nombre de respostes: 38

After upgrading to 1.8 when a user tries to update their profile they get the error "Failed to update user data on external auth: . See the server logs for more details." I also get the error if I try to update their profile as the local admin.

The server logs don't give any additional information.

I am authentication from Active Directory and it seems to be trying (as the error states) to update AD even though in LDAP settings under data mapping "Update Exteral" options are all set to Never.

I verified it in the database that all remote fields are set to zero. I just can't seem to figure out why it's trying to update exteranlly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Randy

Mitjana de qualificacions: -
En resposta a Randy Larson

Re: Nobody can update profiles

per Dean Thayer -
I did a little digging in auth/ldap/auth.php and found that the call to $this->ldap_get_entries($ldapconnection, $user_info_result) at line 863 was returning no results. The reason for this appears to be that the call to $this->config->objectclass at line 859 does not get the right value. Both of these occur before the field mappings are checked to see if external updating is even required. I got around the problem by setting the "Object class" field in LDAP settings to "inetOrgPerson". Once I did that, it was smooth sailing. Not only was this problem fixed, but the "Login As" function started working for LDAP authenticated users.
En resposta a Dean Thayer

per Iñaki Arenaza -
Imatge Core developers Imatge Documentation writers Imatge Particularly helpful Moodlers Imatge Peer reviewers Imatge Plugin developers
This error has been hitting some people for a while and I'd like to nail it down and fix it for good.

Could you help me trace it? I'd need to know your LDAP settings (and the type of LDAP server you are using) and adding a few debugging statements in a couple of places in the code.

Saludos. Iñaki.
En resposta a Iñaki Arenaza

per Paul Holden -
Imatge Core developers Imatge Moodle HQ Imatge Moodle Workplace team Imatge Particularly helpful Moodlers Imatge Peer reviewers Imatge Plugin developers Imatge Testers
We also had this problem with LDAP authentication. The error is generated from the user_update() function in ldap/auth.php. My quick and dirty hack was to return true; right at the beginning of the function mixed

Would like to know exactly why it's trying to update the users entry on the LDAP server though...
En resposta a Paul Holden

per Iñaki Arenaza -
Imatge Core developers Imatge Documentation writers Imatge Particularly helpful Moodlers Imatge Peer reviewers Imatge Plugin developers

Would like to know exactly why it's trying to update the users entry on the LDAP server though...

It may be that it isn't, even though you see that error message[1]. That's why I need help from people that are seeing the error, because I'm not able to reproduce it in my test setup.

Saludos. Iñaki.

[1] Because of the way the current LDAP code does certain things.

per Karsten Kreddig -
We still have this problem and we don't want to hack some ldap-configs in moodle. A clean solution would be nice. What do you need exactly: our auth.php or screenshots of our ldap-settings in moodle?

Greeting, Karsten.
En resposta a Karsten Kreddig

per Iñaki Arenaza -

I need:

• Moodle version ($version from .../moodle/version.php)
  • LDAP settings (either as text or screenshots).
  • LDAP server name and version.

With all this, I'll propose you to add a few debugging lines to your auth.php file to see what's going on. The debugging lines will just add some details to your PHP error logs (but user output will remain unchanged), so you'll need access to them.

I have a suspicion, but I need the output of these debugging lines to confirm it and propose a fix for the problem.

Saludos. Iñaki.

per Karsten Kreddig -
O.k.

Please post your e-mail-address here or send a blank mail to me and I'm going to send you the informations you need asap ...

Thanx, Karsten.

per Bhavna Vij -
Did any one find solution of this problem? We dont want to update LDAP fields but still we want students/teachers to be able to update other fields - like upload their pictures (which are not coming from LDAP). Is this possible? It used to work before upgrading to 1.8.2. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bhavna

per Iñaki Arenaza -
I have already send you a mail Somrient

Saludos. Iñaki.

per Karsten Kreddig -
Hi Inaki,

I've sent the e-mail with our informations to you now. Sorry for the weekend delay!

Greetings, Karsten.

per Iñaki Arenaza -
I'll have a look at in the following days. The semester has just started here and I'll be a bit busy Ull negre

Saludos. Iñaki.

per Iñaki Arenaza -
OK, so the only way we can get this message ('Failed to update user data on external auth:') is if we get a false from user_update().

There are only a handful places where we return false, so I propose to add the following debugging statements to the code, so we have enough additional information to trace the execution. All the debuggin statements go to the PHP error logs, so you'll need to get them from there.

Edit .../auth/ldap/auth.php, search for the following code (around line 856) and add the lines in bold+blue:
 $user_dn = $this->ldap_find_userdn($ldapconnection, $extoldusername);
error_log('extoldusername: ' . print_r($extoldusername,true));
error_log('user_dn: ' . print_r($user_dn,true));
$user_info_result = ldap_read($ldapconnection, $user_dn, $this->config->objectclass, $search_attribs); error_log('objectclass: ' . print_r($this->config->objectclass,true));
error_log('search_attribs: '. print_r($search_attribs,true));
error_log('user_info_result: ' . print_r($user_info_result,true));
if ($user_info_result) { $user_entry = $this->ldap_get_entries($ldapconnection, $user_info_result); error_log('user_entry: ' . print_r($user_entry,true)); if (empty($user_entry)) { error_log('Old user not found'); return false; // old user not found! } else if (count($user_entry) > 1) { error_log('More than one user record'); trigger_error("ldap: Strange! More than one user record found in ldap. Only using the first one."); return false; }
Reproduce the error and paste the info back here (or send it to me) so I can have a look at it and figure what could be going wrong.

Saludos. Iñaki.

per Spike Spiegel -
I am having similar problems.
When I post in the lines from above I get the
Old user not found error message showing up in my logs.
En resposta a Spike Spiegel

per Iñaki Arenaza -

But prior to that line you should get a few other lines. The details of those other lines (the ones for extoldusername, user_dn, objectclass and so on) are very important to try and diagnose the source of the error.

If you could paste those lines here (masking user data so you don't compromise your security), that would really help.

Saludos. Iñaki.

per Spike Spiegel -
Here are the lines previous

[Mon Sep 17 14:37:04 2007] [error] [client 129.89.22.77] extoldusername: USERNAME, referer: http://homework.chem.uwm.edu/user/edit.php
[Mon Sep 17 14:37:04 2007] [error] [client 129.89.22.77] user_dn: uid=USERNAME,ou=people,o=uwm.edu, referer: http://homework.chem.uwm.edu/user/edit.php
[Mon Sep 17 14:37:04 2007] [error] [client 129.89.22.77] objectclass: objectClass=posixAccount, referer: http://homework.chem.uwm.edu/user/edit.php
[Mon Sep 17 14:37:04 2007] [error] [client 129.89.22.77] search_attribs: Array\n(\n [0] => givenName\n [1] => sn\n [2] => mail\n [3] => uid\n)\n,$
[Mon Sep 17 14:37:04 2007] [error] [client 129.89.22.77] user_info_result: Resource id #161, referer: http://homework.chem.uwm.edu/user/edit.php
[Mon Sep 17 14:37:04 2007] [error] [client 129.89.22.77] user_entry: Array\n(\n)\n, referer: http://homework.chem.uwm.edu/user/edit.php
[Mon Sep 17 14:37:04 2007] [error] [client 129.89.22.77] Old user not found, referer: http://homework.chem.uwm.edu/user/edit.php

En resposta a Spike Spiegel

per Iñaki Arenaza -

OK, so it's either failing in the call to ldap_read(), or inside $this->ldap_get_entries().

To discard the first one, if you are able to query your LDAP server from outside Moodle (from the command line, for example), what do you get if you query your LDAP server for that user DN ('uid=USERNAME,ou=people,o=uwm.edu'), asking for the attributes 'givenName', 'sn', 'mail' and 'uid'? Make sure you bind with the same credentials as Moodle.

Sorry for asking for so many details, but I'm shooting in the dark and can only advance from what you tell me in each step.

Saludos. Iñaki.

per Dan Siercks -
I am having the same issues using Moodle 1.8.2 (2007021520).

We are not using any bind credentials, just using anonymous auth. givenName, sn, mail, and uid are all public attributes that are properly populated, yet it still gives the account update with blank information, and then an error of populating the remote LDAP server. After this, there is a blank user created in the Moodle DB that only stores the UID of the authenticated user.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

The screenshots can be located here:

En resposta a Dan Siercks

per Iñaki Arenaza -

Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

As usual, knowing the exact Moodle version (see version.php), the LDAP server type and version you are using, and Moodle's LDAP configuration settings helps a lot Complicitat

Saludos. Iñaki.

per Dan Siercks -
PHP Version 5.1.6

The last reference I can find for our OpenLDAP servers is 2.2.4, but it might have been updated since then. It still should be OpenLDAP v3 though.

Settings I have:
host: ldap://hostname
version: 3
encoding: utf-8
hide passwords=yes
usertype= posix (rfc2307)
context = o=people,o=uwm.edu
search subcontexts=no
dereference = no
user attribute = uid
force changes =no,no,plaintext
ldap experation = no, 10, blank, no
create externally = no
cron sync = keep internal
first name = givenName, on every login, never, unlocked
surname = sn, on every login,never,unlocked
email = mail, on every login,never,unlocked

Everything else is blank. We are able to get all requested attributes with out being bound, it will deny proper ID's with incorrect passwords, and when it creates the blank populated user account, it does see the UID. I believe I provided the exact Moodle version, I'm sorry for formatting, but I'm working from home and its late.

Thanks for the help. Let me know what else you'd need.

per Michael Street -
I have tried what you suggested and can successfully see givenName, sn, etc. There is no 'mail', since the user doesn't have one.

So, what is the next step? Please let me know thanks.

--Mike

per Karsten Kreddig -
Hello Iñaki,

I've added your bold blue lines to our auth.php today, forced the error two times in the afternoon and sent you the error.log via e-mail now.

I hope it can help you to find the mistake!

Greetings, Karsten.

per Karsten Kreddig -
Hello Iñaki,

did you received my e-mail with our latest error log last week?

Greetings, Karsten.

per Iñaki Arenaza -

Sorry, yes I did. But I've been a bit busy this week and only had time to have a very cursory look at it (not enough to reach any conclusion).

This week is going to be a bit crazy too, but I'll try to have a closer look at it.

Saludos. Iñaki.

per Michael Street -
HOORAY! I've managed to fix the problem for our installation. I'm not a programmer, so you'll have to forgive my lack of technical description. I managed to track the problem to around line 50 in 'moodle/auth/ldap/auth.php'

if (empty($this->config->objectclass)) { // Can't send empty filter
 $this->config->objectclass='objectClass=*';
 } else if (strpos($this->config->objectclass, 'objectClass=') !== 0) {
 $this->config->objectclass = 'objectClass='.$this->config->objectclass;
 }
For our LDAP setup, objectClass was being set to objectClass=posixAccount, which is correct. However, for some reason, that was causing something to fail when doing any kind of ldap_read() or ldap_get_entries(), etc., through PHP. So the user information would come back empty.

I 'fixed' it by taking out the if/else statement and just leaving it as

$this->config->objectclass='objectClass=*';

I've spoken with our LDAP gurus and have determined exactly what the problem is, given our system. We don't force students to have a university e-mail address, or any other university centralized account. The only one they have to have is our central LDAP login one, called a Passport account. If they never use any other central account, such as e-mail, or a lab account, they will not get a UID. Without a UID they are not considered a 'posixAccount', hence, they don't show up when we query that type in the tree.

So, the fix was to stop looking for a posixAccount and just set it to a wildcard. This is fine since Moodle already knows the exact user_dn when it does the lookup.

Such a simple answer. Anyway, thanks for your help Inaki, and I hope that this info helps someone else fix their problems.

--Mike
En resposta a Michael Street

per Iñaki Arenaza -
If you want to use 'objectClass=*', then you can specify exactly that in the settings page, instead of modifying the code. This will provide easier upgrades in the future Somrient

Saludos. Iñaki.

per Ivan Ćurak -
Hi,
I set '*' for Object class value on LDAP server configuration page (User lookup settings) and it seems to work (users can update the profile). We use Novell E directory.

per Michael Street -
Thanks, I hadn't seen that option there. That makes things even easier. Somrient

However, there is still the outstanding problem as to why it was trying to write to the LDAP tree, even though it was specifically told not to. I've been able to determine that it was not pulling up a record, and we've fixed that with the objectClass, but why was it still trying to write?

From what I could tell when I looked into it, was that the variable that held the options to write or not, was empty, since it was not able to pull the record in the first place. If it couldn't find the field in the first place, it also can't find whether it's allowed to update it or not, so it tries anyway.

That seems a strange way to handle it, but who knows, I could be completely wrong. Either way, it's something that should be looked into in the future, to avoid problems.

--Mike

En resposta a Michael Street

per Iñaki Arenaza -

but why was it still trying to write?

It isn't. Really Somrient. The problem is the function returns a boolean value, true meaning the update (in case is was needed at all) went well, and false meaning the opposite.

The current code returns false it if can't find the user in the LDAP server, even if we don't need to update anything at all. The 'bug' is trying to look up the user before checking if anything has to be updated.

When the calling function gets the false return value, it blindly prints the generic error message 'Can't update user profile'.

So:

a) the code shouln't try to lookup up the user before checking that we really need to update something in the LDAP server and

b) if we don't find the user, actually print an error message in the logs (right now we don't).

Anyway, not finding an existing user in the LDAP server it quite unusual, at s/he was there in the first place. Otherwise, s/he wouldn't have logged in! So giving a notice to the user changing the profile and logging the fact in the error logs is the way to go IMHO.

I guess I should file a bug about this.

Saludos. Iñaki.

per Dan Siercks -
I am unfortunately still having this issue even while attempting to use objectClass = *. Users are properly authenticating, and wrong credentials are being denied access, but we have not been able to have users create their profiles and start using the Moodle site.

We currently have the following fields properly populated and readable via LDAP calls:

1 givenName
2 telephoneNumber
3 sn
4 employeeType
5 ou
6 roomNumber
7 mail
8 uid
9 homePostalAddress
10 homePhone
11 postalAddress
12 title
13 cn
14 buildingName
15 appointingDepartmen

Even if we need to force users to populate their information from scratch but require LDAP authentication, we would be OK with this implementation. Unfortunately I've seemingly attempted every itteration of settings to allow users to create their profiles to move onto the main Moodle page with out success.

Could someone possibly copy their settings that have allowed LDAP users to successfully create their profiles?

Thank you-
Dan

per Iñaki Arenaza -

I guess I should file a bug about this.

Before filing the bug, I'd like people having this problem try the attached patch (it's for 1.8.3, but should apply cleanly to any 1.8.x version) and see if the problem is fixed.

There's still a subtle issue pending, but before diving into that I'd like to verify that this patch is on the right track.

Saludos. Iñaki.

per Dan Siercks -
On my test enviroment, OSX server, the authentication and then profile updates work properly after applying the patch.

However, on the CentOS production enviroment, this patch seems to introduce the following errors whenever trying to view a page that needs authentication:

Authentication plugin 'ldap' not found.
Stack trace:

* line 4840 of lib/weblib.php: call to debugging()
* line 2408 of lib/moodlelib.php: call to error()
* line 25 of login/logout.php: call to get_auth_plugin()

These are both on clean installs of 1.8.3 stable. Even when I replace auth/ldap/auth.php with the clean 1.8.3, the CentOS instance will not allow anything to be done. I have to do a clean install for the error to disappear.

At this point, administrators can access the users/authentication section. As soon as the auth.php file is patched, a logged in authentication continues to receive the plugin ldap not found.

Thoughts?
En resposta a Dan Siercks

per Ali Van Doren -
Dan,
Did you get this problem solved? We're having the same problem, authenticating against an OS X Xsan LDAP with the same settings you specified above, and not sure if patching will solve the issue. Did Iñaki's tip above (re: permissions on the patched file and directory) help?

Thanks for any info.
Ali
En resposta a Ali Van Doren

per Ali Van Doren -
In case anyone else runs across this thread with the same problem, we found that it's a bug in 1.8.2, that is fixed in 1.8.4, but you also can fix it by making sure that if you are overriding the Object class field by using "objectClass = *", make sure you have a capital C and not a lowercase c in that string (e.g. objectClass=* NOT objectclass=*). 1.8.4 fixes the code that causes this to be a problem; before updating to 1.8.4, we found the issue was resolved as soon as we changed objectclass to objectClass.
Here are the details from the bugfix report for 1.8.4:
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-11299

per Michael Street -
Hi,

Could you please send me your e-mail address also? I've compiled the information you requested regarding our setup, and would like to forward it to you. You can send it to mstreet ATATATATAT yorku.ca.

Thank you.

per Mohammad Rahman -

Hi Inaki,

I installed moodle and experiencing the same problem. Seems like it is creating a blank user ( i can see the blank user from the user list panel). Updating failing similar to others described in this page.

Here are my settings:

Moodle Version: 1.8.2+
Ldap server type: iPlanet
Ldap Settings I am using:

Host URL: ldap://ldapsrv.org.domain:389/o=org.domain
LDAP Encoding: utf-8
LDAP Version 3
Bind Settings:
Hide Passwords: Yes
Disting. Name: uid=ldapbind,ou=People,o=Accounts,o=org.domain

User Lookup Settings:
User type: posixAccount (I was not sure about it, i tried all of them, posix lets me authenticate to the server - moodle logs in and goes to the user update page, the others denies login).
Contexts: ou=Student,o=Accounts,o=org.domain;ou=Staff,o=Accounts,o=org.domain;ou=Faculty,o=Accounts,o=org.domain
Search Subcontexts: Yes
Dereference Aliases: No
Rest of the stuff i left default.
After logging in with an LDAP login, it goes to the user edit page, and i notice it does not show the first and last names...

I am new to moodle...let me know if you need any other info. I hope there is a fix for it!!

En resposta a Mohammad Rahman

per Iñaki Arenaza -

Rest of the stuff i left default.

If you don't specify any mappings Moodle won't be able to fill in those fields. So your users will be redirected to the profile edition page as soon as they login to fill in the obligatory fields.

You need to specify the mappings for at least firstname, surname, email, location, country and description, if I'm not mistaken. Otherwise, users will be redirected to the profile page, to fill what's missing.

Saludos. Iñaki.