Wiki script timeout

Wiki script timeout

by Anatol Bogun -
Number of replies: 4
Hi forum,

Maybe someone had this problem before, but I could not find another post on it:

It happened several times during this semester that certain Wikis caused a script timeout and display a blank page after about 20 - 30 seconds. Currently we have Moodle v1.7 with the standard Wiki installed.

When I go straight into the database and check for the Wiki entries that cause problems I notice that all of these contain several thousand lines of useless html code before the actual content starts. The html code is not "wrong" - it's mainly several thousand div tags opening and closing with some class and style attributes - but I guess a regular expression that parses this rather large text probably causes the script timeout.

I guess the thousands of lines (in my cases about 5500 lines) of useless code happen when students or lectuers copy the Wiki content into Word and paste it back into the Wiki. Microsoft products never produced any good or "slim" html code in any application whatsoever.

I am aware of the button "clean Word html", but is this the only way around it? Users just tend to forget or ignore this.

I am grateful for any suggestions.

Cheers!
Anatol
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anatol Bogun

Re: Wiki script timeout

by Juan Marín -
I think you problem es quite the same as Warning: Unresponsive script - Wiki issue

have you tried to chose nwiki editor instead of HTML editor for the pages? Of course Nwiki editor is more limited (like mediawiki), but you avoid the MSword HTML. It would be a good solution If you don't need much text formating in your wiki or if your students "forget" to choose <TXT> before paste MSWord text
In reply to Juan Marín

by Anatol Bogun -
Hi Juan,

thank you for your reply. The problem is definitely the pasted content from MSWord. I guess your solution to deactivate the HTML editor is the only way to keep the Wiki really stable. Another way is to make students aware of the importance to press the "clean Word html" button, but from my experience I doubt that this will solve the problem completely. Users would still forget/ignore/not understand the button.

Cheers
Anatol
In reply to Anatol Bogun

by Ellen Marie Murphy -
We are running 1.8 and right now there is a wiki that I simply can not get to--it hangs for 20 - 30 seconds and then displays a blank page. How to I get to the code in order to delete all the text that students pasted from Word?
In reply to Anatol Bogun

by Matthew Hikory -
I['m getting a similar problem I think. When I attempt to save I get the error message "a script on this page may be busy or may have stopped responding". If I choose to continue, after a short time the entire content of the wiki seems to disappear. I tried using the clean HTML button, but this didn't help any. I'm a newbie to moodle, so please guide me accordingly. I want to use the wiki, but it's not much use if everything deletes when I try to add something.