PAYING FOR HELP 1.7 and 1.8 SO SLOW!

PAYING FOR HELP 1.7 and 1.8 SO SLOW!

by Will Cunningham -
Number of replies: 10
I have no idea why but...

I recently upgraded doing a clean install of 1.8 I was running 1.5.3 and it was perfect. Now 1.8 is so slow it times out all the time. Anytime there is more than 1 user it timesout.

I got frustrated and figured I would try 1.7 so I deleted 1.8 and installed 1.7. It is doing the same thing.

I am running on a hosted server and this is the info I have:
MYSQL 4.0.18
Php 4.4.1
Apache API Version 19990320
Max Requests Per Child: 5 - Keep Alive: off - Max Per Connection: 30
Timeouts Connection: 60 - Keep-Alive: 5

Since this is a new install there is hardly any data in the database and there are less than 30 users.
I dont know what else to add here other that I am willing to pay someone to get this sorted for me.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Will Cunningham

Re: PAYING FOR HELP 1.7 and 1.8 SO SLOW!

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I would check the following configurations:

- DNS setup

- CFG->wwwroot

- Administration -> Configuration -> Variables "slasharguments"

and get the following performance figures:

- set the Moodle to display the execution times

- since it is a test server you cal also try this http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=57028

It is not easy to debug and optimize in a mass-hosting place, unless they have helpful system adminstrators.

by Steve Hyndman -
Have you tried a fresh install of 1.6.5 to see if you experience the same thing. I know (or am pretty sure) you won't be able to roll your database back, but testing a 1.6 install should help you decide whether the problem is with your server or the upgrade.

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Did you update from 1.5.3 directly to 1.8?

From 1.5.x to 1.6 the database changed to UTF8. The is a convering process in 1.6 and 1.7. But not in1.8. You should update from 1.5.x first to 1.6.x or 1.7.x and then in a second step to 1.8.
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Will Cunningham -
The 1.8 and 1.7 were fresh installs not updates. I'm running 1.7 right now and it only times out when more that a few people are using the site. Strange. I would give more information like was suggested above but I have no idea what you are talking about.

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Will,

read http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installing_Moodle#Requirements

I would check first from php.ini memory_limit that should be at least 40M
If you are using non-latin languages you require MySQL 4.1.16 or later (how did you manage to install moodle 1.7 and 1.8 if your host MYSQL version is 4.0.18 ? You could also check if it is possible to set max_execution_time = 30  and max_input_time = 60 to bigger values

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Will Cunningham -
Must have got the mysql version from something else I am really running 5.0.24. I will look into memory limit and the others to see if I can get them raised.

by Will Cunningham -
I don't know if this matters but when I turn on debugging I get these errors:
Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /********/lib/adodb/drivers/adodb-mysql.inc.php on line 641

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /********/lib/adodb/drivers/adodb-mysql.inc.php on line 641

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /********/lib/adminlib.php on line 1107

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /********/lib/adminlib.php on line 1107

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /********/lib/adminlib.php on line 1190

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /********/lib/adminlib.php on line 1190

by Will Cunningham -
Well I just contacted my hosting company and the php memory limit is 8mb! Would this make the site run that slow?

by Will Cunningham -
got them to raise the limit to 60mb still not any faster.