Needing some special MOODLE changes...

Needing some special MOODLE changes...

by Rob Butner -
Number of replies: 7
Hello Martin---
I need a quote from you on the following special modifications to MOODLE--
I am running version 1.7--(I think December 10th issue)

I desparately need the following changes and nee a quote on time to deliver and cost in U.S. dollars:

1. I need to have a quiz module that provides random quiz generation based on a database of questions. It would be nice to have it also perform random mixing of the answers within these quizzes.

2. I need a way to perform batch input of quiz questions into the database (MYSQL). I have over 30,000 questions in the form of TXT files, I can format them to whatever format would be helpful. My current format is something like:

QUESTION= Why do dogs bark? {=because they are excited, because they dislike the outdoors, because they are mammels, non are correct}

The 4 possible answers are enclosed in {  }  with the correct answer identified with the = all other distractors are separated with commas.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Rob
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rob Butner

Re: Needing some special MOODLE changes...

by Michael Schneider -
Hi,

We also need the import feature and I am about to code it. Unfortunately I cannot promise anything, but if I am not finished within 1 month I get in troubles here smile.

If Marting likes the code and accepts the changes, then maybe import/export will be in one of the next releases.
In reply to Rob Butner

random quiz

by Andrzej Kluza -

I know my students easily steal their knowlege one from another, with pleasure!

So random questions would be interesting step towards privacy and reliable answers.

In reply to Rob Butner

Batch input of quizzes

by Paul McGovern -

Hi,

Think i can help with the .txt quizzes. Finishing off a module to input text quizzes directly to the database at the moment, it willl also have the capabity to add any images to a limited number of the questions, say the first 10 or so of each batch. will have more news soon, busy at the minute finishing off my thesis. The format being worked on is  in the attached file.

In reply to Paul McGovern

Re: Batch input of quizzes

by James Miller -
Paul,

I'd love to take a look at your module when you've had a break from the thesis writing. Format looks like a multiple choice only. Does the module differentiate a true false like:

FOO333;;
Will studying about the law give you cancer?!Yes:No|0:1;;
// no that's a trick question..

Also did you have an particular attachment to the formating of the text inputs?

good luck with the writing! smile
In reply to James Miller

by Paul McGovern -

haven't done anything to differentiate the question type as yet James. it should n't be a big task to make an adjustment for True/false, it would require an extra parameter to specify the question type for entry to the database.

i'll have more news when i get a bit more time. wink

In reply to Paul McGovern

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Note that I've done work recently on implementing a framework for importing quiz questions (with one example format already done). See CVS or recent nightlies, and look in mod/quiz/format. it should be fairly simple to extend the basic class to parse any type of input file.
In reply to James Miller

by Paul McGovern -

In our installation of the moodle system we decided to create a new module to work in conjunction with the quiz module to upload a file containing prepared multiple choice questions. 

The import section being introduced in the moodle quiz module in the CVs seem to be the adapted approach for moodle.  However in our system we did manage to upload a file and insert the questions in to the relevant databases so the questions were available in the course.  We also facilitated the insertion of images for the first 10 questions. 

We used a file originally based on the index.php and mimetypes.php file in moodle/files directory to upload and select the required files from the PC, and then a file called readfile.php to split up and insert the question details. 

I am attaching our code we are using in the hope that it will help with the development of the new import function in the quiz module.  It may take a bit of work to integrate to your own system but the basic functionality is there. wink

I have also included the format for the quiz files accepted by our system.  We have made some changes from the format; the course code is not now needed. 

Paul