Moving A Thread from A Discussion to another Location

Moving A Thread from A Discussion to another Location

by Emma McCann -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

I'm pretty new to Moodle so please bare with me. Apoligies if this sounds like a silly question - but I've been asked the following:

Currently I have four Courses set up on Moodle and in each of these courses there is just one Main Discussion Forum. In one of my courses its been reported that users are not happy with the Discussion Forum, as there are too many threads within it. These users are also not familar with using Forums, so when it comes to Moodle, they are finding it hard to keep within one Thread.

To over come this I was thinking of creating "sub-folders" within each course and them move these threads into the  newly created "sub-folders".

I am not sure how to do this, or if this is even possible. I would appreciate your help - and again, I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question!!

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Emma McCann

Re: Moving A Thread from A Discussion to another Location

by Clark Moodler -
Hi Emma,

One of the advantages and/or differences between Moodle and some other LMS's - is that you can create as many forums as you want - and each "forum" can take place of what used to be "threads."

So, for example, you may want to have a forum in each unit or learning module. And then each of those forums may have just 3-4 threads.

I think that's the way to go. --- In WebCT/Blackboard and the like, you often would have a "discussion" forum - where there was just 1 forum and it was full of threads. I pesonally like them broken up and placed among the content of each module/unit so they are more manageable, easier to find, and more connected to the content and knowledge being discussed.

Hope this helps,
Clark

In reply to Clark Moodler

Re: Moving A Thread from A Discussion to another Location

by Clark Moodler -
p.s. - the way to do this would be to use the "topic" or "weekly" format for your moodle course, so that you have a listing in the middle of Topics 1-10 or Weeks 1-10 or etc.

Then, in each topic/unit/week, you can "add a resource" (such as a web page, text page, a file: DOC, PPT, or directory. Or on the right, you can "add an activity" - which includes forum, quiz, etc...

So in each topic/unit/week you can add as many forums as you like, and this way they are split up among the relevant topics/units/weeks.

clark