Why can't I see my students' answers?

Why can't I see my students' answers?

by Tomasz Walasek -
Number of replies: 3

I use a lot of embeded questions when I write my quizzez. In a typical quiz students have to provide at least 20 short answers, often more (even 40) and such a long one embeded question constitutes one quiz.

When I review the reports for students' attempts, I can't see all of their answers. It happens very often that the last 5 or 6 boxes remain empty even though I know from the score that they have been answered. As a result, I can't give them proper feedback or correct their mistakes because I simply don't know what they've written.

PLEASE HELP! (Is it because there are too many boxes within one task?)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tomasz Walasek

Re: Why can't I see my students' answers?

by Thomas Robb -
Tomasz,

I'll look into this if you can give me the data. It could be the code itself, or it could be memory constraints on your server if you have a lot of responses.

In reply to Thomas Robb

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Hi Tom,

I think I know what the problem is (see my other post in this thread). Can you just let me know if I can safely change the field type from varchar to text?
In reply to Tomasz Walasek

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Hi Tomasz,

I've had a closer look at Dorota's question in which this happened and I know why this is happening. The answer field in quiz_responses table is of varchar (255) type, which is simply not enough to hold the answers to a cloze question with so many blanks (Dorota had 23 blanks).

OK, one thing is knowing what the problem is, quite another is fixing it. I don't know much about how MySQL works, but I guess simply changing the field type from varchar to text (should be enough) or longtext (might be an overkill) would fix it.

PS
I think this one could be a good candidate for an issue. I'll file this as soon as we've arrived at final conclusions here.

PS2
Tomek, tell Dorota she owes me a beer (or a good coffee) wink