Using Moodle to Organize School Forms and Documents

Using Moodle to Organize School Forms and Documents

by Matthew Klein -
Number of replies: 5
It was recently suggested to me that you could use Moodle to organize and store the many forms that teachers need from time to time. Instead of going to the office in search of the proper form, you could just find it on Moodle and print it out.

However, I am a new user and I am not sure the best method for doing this. I was thinking about using Topics, but I'm not sure how I would alphabetize them. Is anyone doing this already? How have you implemented this?

Thanks for your help.

Matt
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matthew Klein

Re: Using Moodle to Organize School Forms and Documents

by John Isner -
I would create a special course that is visible only to teachers. I would use topic format. Each topic would be for a different kind of form or document (e.g., grades, attendance). You could start with a single topic block and reorganize as the number of resources grows. It's easy to create new topics and move resources between topics. Of course you could also start with 26 topics ("A", "B", ... "Z"), but do you really have so many forms?
In reply to John Isner

by Matthew Klein -
Thanks for the tips. It seems like we have a countless number of forms, but it's probably not so many when I actually count them. I like the topic idea a lot.

by David Fountain -
I'm going to be looking at this soon myself and I thought that the database would be the place to start, I don't have it in the 1.5 version of moodle that I am running but it seems to offer the facilities I need for such documents:
1. Documents can be stored and updated
2. Metadata about the documents can be stored in other fields
3. The database can be searched to find appropriate documents

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
What are the numbers like? Less than 100? 100-500? more?

Can you put the documents in some sort of a structure? Like categories or even order them hierarchially?

Do you need history? A document is never removed or overwritten, you have them in varions versions.

Is this one way? Administrators put them there, the teachers only take? Or can they upload documents?

by Just H -
Hi Matt

There's numerous ways to do this without messing around with a default install. I'd set up a teachers admin course and use either (in order of personal preference):
  • the database module, or
  • a glossary, or
  • add a resource - display a directory, or
  • a forum
You can also get into various third party modules (such as MyFiles).

Basically comes down to what you find easier to use. Setting up a course and using topics would not be on my list of ways to do it to be honest.

regards
Harry