Daily Course Format??

Daily Course Format??

by Myrrh Lynn -
Number of replies: 5

I was looking to see if anyone has considered this one or has attempted to do it. I got to thinking about how elementary kids (even middle school) do their school work.

It has been my experience that they are just unable to grasp fully the idea of completing a weekly syllabus. Without fail they develop procrastination and organization issues.

This is,of course, the reason my lower grades are so thorough in giving daily work.

I was wondering if anyone has attempted to use the topics format as a daily format, writing daily assignments?

I realize there are only 52 topics,  and the average school year in most places is approx. 200 days. Naturally, there would need to be a topic box for each school day in the school yr.

At present, one would need at least 4 individual courses in the same COURSE just to fulfill a "course" (lol)

Like Course: Math401 - Quarter 1

Math401 - Quarter 2 , etc.

to 4 quarters for one year's course.

The reason this is of acute interest is because in some places there are students who due to health/disability/discipline reasons must be home much of the year. At present, in some places the best that is offered is that the parents become a couriers, delivering and picking up Learning Pkts (assignments) from the school weekly. Sometimes teachers become unpaid tutors. This added burden of having to prepare learning packets for individual students (in classes such as special ed. where sometimes 3-5 students are out due to stated issue,) can be overwhelming at times. It gets tedious trying to remember what to put in each folder. Inevitably, some worksheet or lesson assignment will be missed.

Having a Moodle would certainly bridge this gap and lighten the teacher load, if but for just a few. It wouldn't replace classroom instruction completely for younger students, but it would certainly help. More over, for those students who stay home sick, it would give them the chance to actually do the assignments rather than have to arrange a make-up day or them do double work when they return to school (Always a bummer!)

Not sure what the pros and cons of such a format would be. It's something to think about.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Myrrh Lynn

Re: Daily Course Format??

by A. T. Wyatt -
I, too, am interested in alternative educational placements (AEP's). My experiences when teaching high school were that many AEP's are really not very educational! (well, I am mostly thinking about in-school suspension here, but there are difficulties regardless). I think that well designed Moodle content could be a huge benefit!

So getting to the topic idea--I agree that subdividing the work would be helpful for less organized students. I have learned to not let topics span over a week (even with college students). Deliberate use of labels helps. You might put Monday, Tuesday, Weds, etc. sections into the topic for the week.

We also use the course menu so that the topics are collapsed and students have a side navigation to access different topics. This reduces scrolling.

Having a whole topic for each day might be too hard to keep up with. People tend to "chunk", even younger students (I think). Once they have passed the date in question, the date becomes meaningless and a textual reference for the work seems more helpful. Maybe the answer to all this is activity locking . . .

In the meantime, you might experiment with more labels. I think I will too!
atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Ger Tielemans -
days for 1.6 (max. of 7 weeks)
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Blue Magica -
I also want a way for this. I have experienced many difficulties with week format when teaching very short courses.
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Gareth Davies -
Where do I exactly put these two files? Might I have problems with 1.8+
In reply to Gareth Davies

by ian lake -
Not sure about 1.8, but copy the days folder into \moodle\course\format.
I have just tried this and it works but there are some language issues.
ian