Latest HotPot module on Moodle 1.7+?

Latest HotPot module on Moodle 1.7+?

by Martin Holmes -
Number of replies: 15
Hi there,

We're running Moodle 1.7+, and we're not likely to update in the very near future. We'd like to install the latest HotPot module, which seems to be this one:

It has a requirement of 2006080900. Our Moodle 1.7+ is 2006101008. However, in the readme for the HotPot module , it suggests that the module should only be installed in 1.8.

Can we go ahead and install HotPot module 2006120100 in Moodle 1.7+?

Cheers,
Martin
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Holmes

Re: Latest HotPot module on Moodle 1.7+?

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Martin,

as a general policy for Moodle 1.6 and above, you should not upgrade the HotPot module by itself. Unless you have significantly modified the Moodle core, I recommend you upgrade your entire Moodle site, all at once.

For earlier versions of Moodle, i.e. up to and including Moodle 1.5, you may want to upgrade just the HotPot module to the Moodle 1.6 version of the HotPot module. It works fine (I think!) on the early Moodles.

I may have caused some confusion a few days ago, when I suggested to Robert that he upgrade just the HotPot module on his Moodle 1.7 site. I did this because he seemed wary of upgrading the whole site. However, I also said it would be better to upgrade his whole Moodle site, if at all possible.

So in short, please do not install the "lastest" HotPot module on your site, because the "latest" version of the HotPot module is intended for the "latest" version of Moodle, currently Moodle 1.9, which you are not using.

best regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Martin Holmes -
OK. Did you really mean 1.9, or 1.8? I've never seen a 1.9 download smile

We're testing 1.8+ on a vm right now, but I don't think it's worth trying to update our main install unless the problems we've been hearing about with the htm files are fixed. Are you planning to release an update to handle HotPot 6.2 files, or is that going to come in the next version?

Cheers,
Martin

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I think I should do a quick test though to clarify in my own mind whether or not the HotPot module can handle htm files produced by HP 6.2. Hopefully I can do that today.

Well, I have just tested each kind of HP 6.2 quiz run from the HTML file and everything worked as expected - the results were stored and the browser returned to the course page, with no javascript errors.

Later today I will try to retrieve the quizzes that Robert and Glenys have reported as not working and see if they work on my server. I would be very grateful if anybody reading this could also try running HP 6.2 quizzes on my Moodle 1.7 site to see if they run OK.
many thanks
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
I did some testing using Robert's "testme.htm" quiz.
  • I confirmed that when the quiz is run from his Moodle 1.7.1 server, my Firefox browser gives a javascript error and the results are not recorded by Moodle
  • I downloaded the "testme.htm" onto my Moodle 1.7.2 server and the quiz runs without error and the results are stored
  • I also downloaded the XML file for this quiz, "testme.jqz" and generated a new HTML file from it using JQuiz from the latest Hot Potatoes (6.2.0.8), and again there were no errors and the results were successfully recorded.
There was a little bit of strangeness in the stored results - the "ignored" responses included responses that had not been ignored, but this will not prevent the quiz scores from being correctly recorded.

I will now try a similar test with Glenys's quizzes.

by Martin Holmes -
Hi Gordon,

If you are doing an update, I've just released version 6.2.0.9, which has a couple of small changes to the JavaScript to take account of IE7 behaviour. Details are here:

http://hotpot.uvic.ca/v6_bugs.htm

Cheers,
Martin

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Martin,
thanks for the heads up bout HP 6.2.0.9. I had seen the messages about the view port size in IE. I don't think that affects the HotPot module too much, but I will download the new HP and check it out.

At the moment, I am not planning an update, but it may be necessary if I can get to the bottom of why Robert's quiz and Glenys's quiz do not run on their servers.

all the best
Gordon

by Martin Holmes -
I'm not really sure how your system using the data files works, but I presume you're transforming the data files to create HTML or PHP files which work like the normal exercises. If so, the JavaScript that goes into those files will need to be updated to avoid the IE7 bug.

Cheers,
Martin

by Gordon Bateson -
Thanks Martin. I see what you mean.

If you use HTM versions of the quizzes generated with HP 6.2, then the IE7 fixes will already be included in the quiz.

For quizzes that are run from the XML data files, the HotPot module is not using the HP 6.2 "source" templates. I will investigate whether it would be quick to add the new templates to the HotPot module. If that looks like being a big job, I think I would prefer to spend that time and effort on the new HotPot module which is easier to change than the "one script does everything" approach of the current module.

all the best
Gordon

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Gordon,
I think you meant to write:

"I would be very grateful if anybody reading this could also try running HP 6.2 quizzes on my Moodle 1.7 site to see if they run OK.
Sorry, I can't do any testing because I'm having connection problems.

Cheers,
Glenys

In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Martin Holmes -
I did some testing, and the exercises seem to work fine, although I saw some strange values for the "Ignored" row in the results table. I don't know what's really supposed to be in there, though. What's "ignored" for? In one exercise, an answer I hadn't entered appeared in that column (in a JCloze exercise); in a JQuiz exercise, all three answers in a multiple-choice appeared in it, even though I'd chosen only one (right first time) or two (wrong once, right after that).

One error I did see in Firefox's Error console:

Warning: Unknown property 'd-align'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: http://bateson.kanazawa-gu.ac.jp/moodle/17/ms/theme/standard/styles.php
Line: 260

This looks like a typo in the stylesheet.

Cheers,
Martin

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Martin,
yes, I had noticed the strange "ignored" values too.

FYI, the "ignored" values are supposed to be any values that were predicted by the teacher, but were not chosen but the student. The "ignored" answers could be correct, wrong or partially correct answers.

For example, In a JQuiz Multichoice question, the "ignored" values would be the unchosen distractors. In a JCloze quiz the ignored answers would be any alternative answers which were not entered by the student.

Any predicted responses that were selected or entered are not supposed to appear in the ignored field, so that is an issue I will have to look into.

Thanks for point out the faulty "d-align" attribute. I have fixed it now on my site. It was leftover from some CSS modifications I was trying out. It is not part of the standard Moodle distribution.

many thanks
Gordon
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by J Dwiartanto -
Thanks Glenys, I tried some of the quizzes and seemed perfectly fine.
I also tried uploading a quiz and worked fine.

Thanks again, as that also let me know what Hot Potatoes quizzes look like.
Soon I'll try installing the HotPot module in my 1.7.1+ version.

Regards,
Tanto
In reply to J Dwiartanto

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Tanto,

> Soon I'll try installing the HotPot module in my 1.7.1+ version.

Since Moodle 1.5, the HotPot module has been part of the standard Moodle package, so it is already installed on your Moodle 1.7 site. You just need to enable it:

1. login as to your Moodle site as an administrator
  2. click "Modules" on the Administrator menu on the front page of your site
  3. click the "closed eye" icon for the HotPot module

all the best
Gordon

by J Dwiartanto -

Thanks Gordon, I've just realised blush

Regards,