Wiki Woes - URGENT

Wiki Woes - URGENT

by Jessica Brogley -
Number of replies: 12
Man, am I pouting!!!

I am having wiki woes...
I made a wiki where each kid is storing their research notes. It seems set up right - each kid has their own wiki spot (I made the one wiki...type being "student"...groups being visible).
I was pumped about the set up - it's EXACTLY what I wanted...until I realized that only 1 kid at a time can edit their pages.
PLEASE tell me there's something I didn't click correctly.

If you have a suggestion, can you email me at jbrogley@seymour.k12.wi.us?????

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jessica Brogley

Re: Wiki Woes - URGENT

by John Isner -
(1) Please don't cross-post (you posted this earlier today in the General Problems forum)
(2) Please don't ask for a private response to your problem. Others (including me) are very interested in hearing the solution.

by John Isner -
If you selected type=STUDENT and Groups = VISIBLE GROUPS, then according to the Wiki help...

Every student has their own wiki, which only they and their teacher can edit. Students can view the wikis of all other students in the course.

When you say

Only 1 kid at a time can edit their pages

which of the following do you mean?

a) While any one student is editing his/her Wiki, other students are unable to edit theirs
or
b) No two students may edit the same Wiki at the same time

If you mean (b), then that's normal behavior. Each student has his/her own wiki, and that wiki is editable only by the owner (although other students can view the wikis of other students, they cannot edit any but their own).

If you mean (a), then there's a bug.

In reply to John Isner

by Edward Gash -

Hello John,

I am also experiencing this wiki problem.  In my case I have TYPE = GROUP and GROUPS = VISIBLE GROUPS.  The behaviour observed is that when one group is editing a page in their wiki; the other groups may not edit a page in their wiki with the same name.  For example in initial page in each groups wiki has the same name; therefore only one one group can edit their initial page at a time.  Also in my case each group made a 'introduction' page; only one group could edit their 'introduction' page at a time; when the group had a distinctly named page there was no problem.

I am currently using 1.8, but this behaviour was also observed in 1.7.  Looking at your post, it would appear that this is a bug.  I'll try to log it in the tracker.

Thank you,

Edward

In reply to John Isner

by Jessica Brogley -
In response to John's reply:

which of the following do you mean?

a) While any one student is editing his/her Wiki, other students are unable to edit theirs

It's A....each kid has their own wiki...but only 1 kid can edit at a time.

by Rick Barnes -
I have been having the same problem too

When pupils are editing pages that were created by my uploaded page then only one can edit at a time once they are creating their own pages (their own unique name) there is no problem.

Rick
In reply to Rick Barnes

by Jessica Brogley -

Thanks Rick. This is true. I had 2 students modify their wiki pages at the same time and it went fine. So, they have to take turns on the initial wiki page, but after that, life is good.

In reply to Rick Barnes

by Urs Sonderegger -

Hi Rick

I have the same problem and it seems you know the solution.

Can you please tell me how students can change their initial page?

Thanks a lot, Urs

In reply to Urs Sonderegger

by Jessica Brogley -
You can't. You're still going to have to make them take turns with that first initial page.

by Urs Sonderegger -

I see! And I didn't really expect any easy solution for this. smile

But I found another - little more complicated - way to fix this problem:

If you are familiar with mySQL and PHPMyAdmin you can change the names directly on the database (only on eWiki!!).

ATTENTION: only recommended for users who know what they do!! Save your Data first - at least the wiki-tables!

You have to change the entries in 'mdl_wiki_pages' and 'mdl_wiki_entries'.

If you have more than one wiki on your moodle- environment take care about the 'wikiid' !

You have to give different names to the field 'pagename' for each user. These names have to correspond in the two tables 'mdl_wiki_pages' and 'mdl_wiki_entries'

Example:
user1 Miller, userid 12 with entry "Startpage" in field 'pagename'
user2 Brown, userid 14 with entry "Startpage" in field 'pagename'

change to:
user1 Miller, userid 12 with entry "Startpage Miller" in field 'pagename'
user2 Brown, userid 14 with entry "Startpage Brown" in field 'pagename'

on both tables, 'mdl_wiki_pages' and 'mdl_wiki_entries'

Take care about History-Entries with the same name in 'pagename'! They must also be updated. Otherwise you get dead data in your tables.