Moodle documentation: What about visuals/video?

Moodle documentation: What about visuals/video?

by Janet Hayes -
Number of replies: 16
Hi Team,

Firstly, apologies in advance if this has been covered elsewhere, I've just skimmed over the discussions.

I've created many "screen capture videos" that I've used to teach a variety of software products. I'm wondering if there is a place for these in the "documentation"?

They can be made small enough to be downloadable and the feedback I get from students is that this is the only way to learn. I guess I just am concerned about the "how to's" being so text based, even when there is the use of "static screen captures".

What are other people's thoughts about this?..best...janet
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Janet Hayes

Re: Moodle documentation: What about visuals/video?

by Antonio Vicent -

Hi Janet,

Also I think that the video is a very efficient system of learning.  In fact I am working with screen captures in DVD (easy capture but the interactivity is difficult).  The script of those videos this in the netx link, unfortunately is in Spanish. 

I suppose that the first step is to establish the text with static graphs for and then to turn them video. 

Greetings,

In reply to Antonio Vicent

by Mehdi Taouti -

Hello Janet, Antonio and all.

I'm very much interested in this video capture thing. I do not know anything about it. Could you please tell us more or refer us to some web address.

Maybe I could help with making a video about moodle.

Is there some open source software to help with video capture, edting, composing ...etc.

For those interested in Multimedia creation, here is a copy of an old post of mine :

Hello every1,

I was looking for some open source software that helps with creating rich multimedia content (video, sounds, 3D,...) Well, I found the following list/compilation. I dunno what is it worth. I wanted to share it with those of you who would be interested:

http://www.elysiun.com/news.php?mode=display&item_id=15

Hope it helps.

In reply to Mehdi Taouti

by Jennifer LaVoie Constant -

Camtasia is pretty cool...it's not free though

http://www.techsmith.com/products/studio/default.asp

In reply to Jennifer LaVoie Constant

by Ray Lawrence -
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Mehdi Taouti -

Thank you Ray,

I tried it, and it looks really nice.

However I had problems synchronizing voice and video! I have to look at it again.

Ps: Maaaan, I now know why people prefer to write pdfs instead of making a video tutorial... it really takes too much time to get it right! Or maybe it is just that I need some training!

In reply to Mehdi Taouti

by Janet Hayes -
Hello Mehdi,

yes, it does take a while, both to make the recording and then to render the files so that they are useable across various platforms.

However, the benefit is enormous and whilst many people just don't read the manual, most seem to be happy to watch a one or two minute video.

Presently I have my web design and administration class creating mini video's about using moodle. They are creating these for fellow students who are yet to use moodle and who are not particularly tech savvy.

Once they are complete, I'll post a link to where you can download them. Additionally, I'd be happy to take any of the how-to's listed elsewhere and get them to create videos of these as well. There task is to create Multimedia instructional design products, so it's good practice for themsmile..best..janet
In reply to Janet Hayes

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
What are the typical size of files generated by Camtasia?
In reply to Marcus Green

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Marcus,
we're using camtasia, and most of our files are under 3MB - a standard 1024x768 30second recording sits at around 1.5MB - no audio, just video, however, audio doesn't make much of a dent - you can alos optimise it further if you want to make the file smaller!

smile

Dan

In reply to Dan Marsden

by kerry Knickelbein -

Hi Dan

I am in the early stages or using Camtasia and have found that publishing the avi as a wmv helps load the video quicker.

I am just finding that the quality of the video is rather blurred.  Any suggestions?

Regards

Kerry

In reply to Janet Hayes

by muhannad al nabulsi -

Hello Janet

Please kindly explain what is all about??I have just received messages without knowing the main  theme,thanks & regards.   Muhannad 

In reply to Mehdi Taouti

by David Fountain -
I started with Camtasia (came free on a magazine cover) but moved on to Macromedia's Captivate (not free - but good educational discount) and upload the files and point a "Resource" at the webpage that controls the flash file.
In reply to Janet Hayes

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
One outcome of starting with a small text-based description first, is that we then have consistent "scripts" that people can use to generate these video versions and attach them to each page of the documentation.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Janet Hayes -
Hi Martin,

I think this is a good point, although my students are chaffing at the bit to make their videoswink

However, the soundtrack is separate to the video, so it's an easy matter to create a different soundtrack.

One other thing my students are doing, is creating sub-titles, we are concerned for hearing impaired users of the softwaresmile..best..janet
In reply to Janet Hayes

by Tony Hursh -
Hi, all. I just popped in to this course to see the new manual that Bryan Williams has put together (it looks great, btw) and noticed this thread.

I've got some narrated screen-cap tutorials available here, with more in progress. These are intended to demonstrate Moodle from the instructor's point of view.

I hope to get all of these done by the end of this semester, other duties permitting. smile

In reply to Janet Hayes

by candy castanares -

hello. i'm student, researching about VLE's that have better downloading features that range from static/text pages to multimedia resources. i would like to know if MOODLE has this because i'm not too sure about what i've read. so far i've only learned that MOODLE has a better uploading scheme, and none about downloading. please help me with this...anyone. T_T

candy