Chat sessions are not saved

Chat sessions are not saved

by Jon Edens -
Number of replies: 17

I orginally set up my campus with Moodle 1.1 and all was well in the kingdom. Then I upgraded to Moodle 1.2.1 and the gods began to laugh.

Under 1.1 there was no problem with the chat sessions being saved. Now under the 1.2.1 I canot get a single session to save, although the chats from the previous version is still there.

Is anyone else having this problem and does anyone know of something I can try??? In other words, please help this poor soul from being crucified by my students and the other teachers...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jon Edens

Re: Chat sessions are not saved

by Jon Edens -

After further investigation, it seems that if I set the view chat for 365 days it will save it, but anything less will not be saved. I have been looking through the code to see what may be causing this, but have not found anything. Possibly settings somewhere?

In reply to Jon Edens

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Are you using groups?  Some bugs were recently fixed in that area ...
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Jon Edens -
I have not made any groups as yet. The classes have have been small so far so there had not been a reason for the seperation. I will check on it though to see if that might work.

by Jon Edens -

Well... I tried the groups thing and also had it set where it would save the session for a full year. Still did not save the session. Right now I am having to copy the chat session and put it as a resource. Any other ideas would be helpful... any at all?

In reply to Jon Edens

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
How many people do you have chatting at once?  If only one then these do not appear as recorded sessions (need two or more).

by Jon Edens -

Right now I have anywhere from 5 to 12 students in each class chatting at a time.

In reply to Jon Edens

by Art Lader -
Yes, I am having the same problem. I can see the chat messages in the database...

Not an emergency, but would really like to get to the bottom of it.

-- Art Lader
In reply to Art Lader

by Martin Dougiamas -
I just had a look on your site and it's working fine for me.  I logged in as two people, chatted with myself, and the session is there ...  I'll talk to you privately about this.

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Hi Martin,

Any conclusions from your private talk with Art? I've had the same problem at my site (http://stencel.kei.pl/swps/) - I had a 1-hour chat with Joyce Smith and it was not archived. I'm using Moodle 1.2.1 (2004032500).
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by Martin Dougiamas -
No idea, my sites are all working fine.  Try upgrading to the latest chat module from the module download page (it's quite safe) - see if it helps.

Re: Can't view past chat sessions

by John Gone -
Moodle 1.2 Beta (2004022400) maybe this issue doesn't exist in newer version . I'm unable to view past chat sessions. I've installed the latest chat module available (April 9 '04) and the latest English language pack. The chat works just fine, I just can't view past sessions. I've also checked the database and chat_messages exist and all appears to be fine. There are no groups being used. It's likely I've missed something but I don't know what. Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks, John

In reply to John Gone

Re: Can't view past chat sessions

by John Gone -
After upgrading to 1.3 Development 2004040500 I'm able to view past chat sessions.

by Eric Swanson -

Was having the same problem on 1.21. Upgrading to the lastest CVS files solved the problem and previous chats are now visible.

swany

In reply to Eric Swanson

by Eric Swanson -

I installed the CVS chat files into 1.21 and now I'm getting this error message when going into admin. I can see old chat sessions and chat appears to work fine.

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare chat_upgrade() (previously declared in /home/nsccmcorg/domains/museumclasses.org/public_html/mod/chat/db/mysql.php:3) in /home/nsccmcorg/domains/museumclasses.org/public_html/mod/chat_bkp/db/mysql.php on line 3

I'll keep working on an answer and post when I get it.

In reply to Eric Swanson

by Martin Dougiamas -
Move that chat_bkp folder away (out of the mod folder - it's interfering with the real chat module)