php memory limit for version 1.8

php memory limit for version 1.8

by Heather P -
Number of replies: 2
Hello
I noticed that the install docs suggest that the memory limit in the php.ini file needs to be significantly higher to run version 1.8.
Sadly my php skills aren't that great and wondered if there were any recommended settings to go with the increased memory limit that I should be aware of. I've noticed on at least two forum posts that people have also raised the max execution time and the max input time.

For example if I raise the memory limit to 192M which in my twisted logic implies that the system would potentially be handling bigger files which would therefore take longer to do whatever it is then it might run out of time to do it. Could be I have completely the wrong end of the stick with this, but advice would be good please.

I'm also assuming that this memory limit bears some relationship to the actual limit of the hardware you are using and it probably should not be set higher than the physical memory in the server (probably won't be an issue that one).

If you have a production server running version 1.8 of moodle on MySql 5.0.37 and php 5.2.0, apache 2.0.52 (Windows server 2003) (approx 500 users) would you share the settings you have for memory limit, max execution and max input please.
TIA
Heather

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Heather P

Re: php memory limit for version 1.8

by Mauno Korpelainen -

In http://docs.moodle.org/en/Install#Requirements

"memory_limit should be at least 40M (Moodle versions prior to 1.8 require less memory). Large sites may need more than 128M. PHP 5.2.x requires higher memory_limit values than previous versions of PHP."

I have used memory_limit 32M with PHP 5.1.6, max_execution_time 300
and max_input_time 600.

Still moodle 1.8 seems to work ok. These max values are used for single scripts by single users. With slow machines or "busy machines" times must be longer and if there are memory consuming scripts memory_limit should be higher too.

Hardware requirements (RAM) depend on number of concurrent users.

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

Re: php memory limit for version 1.8

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Moodle tries to increase the memory limit, but it may not work if the limit is enforced (which is often the case on shared hosting servers).