What happens if the Installation Instructions seem to be written in an alien language.

What happens if the Installation Instructions seem to be written in an alien language.

by Kelvin Furze -
Number of replies: 22
I agree that installation is a quick and easy process, provided you follow the installation instructions. My problem is that I have read the installation instructions, three or four times, and have absolutely no idea what they mean. This may be a lost cause, but I am really keen to get the Moodle programme up and running. It is obviously an excellent piece of software. If I take the problems, one at a time and as they occur, hopefully someone can help me out. I can then progress, one step at a time, and hopefully get the programme installed. FIRST PROBLEM. I have managed to create a MySQL database on my web server. I don't really have the language needed to describe my problem, but I have set it up with: ALTER, CREATE DELETE DROP SELECT INSERT UPDATE INDEX all ticked. The following boxes were left unticked: PRIVILEGES, ALL, CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES, REFERENCES and LOCK TABLES. I hope I managed to get that part right. I have set myself up as the user, using the user name given by my web host, and I have given myself a password. The name of the server has defaulted to my user name + moodle. The first problem I am faced with is when I read the configuration instructions on the config.php file. The truth is, I have absolutely no idea what these instruction mean or how to follow them. In particular, I am baffled by mysql - the prefix is optional, but useful when installing into databases that already contain tables. (Question: How do I know if my database contains tables?) postgres7 - the prefix is REQUIRED, regardless of whether the database already contains tables. (IMPORTANT QUESTION. This prefix is required - but where? What do I do here?) I assume the instructions with regard to PostgreSQL databases via sockets do not apply to me because I have a MYSQL database. This is my first problem. Are there any kind, patient souls out there who can help. When responding, it would be very helpful if you could imagine that you are dealing with a complete idiot and use very simple language. Many thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kelvin Furze

Re: What happens if the Installation Instructions seem to be written in an alien language.

by Martyn Overy -
Kelvin,

Life can be a real bummer ! sad Especially when you are new to all of this php/MySQL stuff.
What is the webhosting provider/company? What type of type of account you have? Seems to me there are easier ways of doing all this, rather than plunging into the deep end.
In reply to Martyn Overy

Re: What happens if the Installation Instructions seem to be written in an alien language.

by Kelvin Furze -
Many thanks for your reply Martyn and for being willing to give a dunderhead a hand. My website is hosted with orangeforest who do not offer support on third party scripts. I have a bog standard account. They use a Linux server, with MYSQL databases. Apparantely, this makes things easer.
In reply to Kelvin Furze

by Martyn Overy -
Is it www.orangeforest.com ? I have done a search but I am getting a number of hosting companies, one of which is based in Russia. The front page of orangeforest.com is not very helpful, and does not give a visitor much confidence about the hosting company....

Another thought: If you need to try Moodle out, I can set one up for you on one of our servers, and you can have full admin control....

If your hosting company provides Fantastico, then installation could be an easy way to install without tears.. Information  

In reply to Martyn Overy

by Kelvin Furze -
Thanks again. I originally subscribed to www.orangeforest.co.uk You are right about the website. However, I do have access to a handy control panel and help facility and to be honest, Orangeforest staff are generally quite helpful. I have seen moodle in action, it is up and running in the school where I teach. I have also written a ten week revision course using the programme. I am fully convinced about the value of Moodle and in fact, was so impressed, wished to install it on my private website where I offer free help to GCSE English students. Your offer to set me up on one of your servers is very kind, although I would prefer to get things up and running on my own site if possible. Your help is very much appreciated.
In reply to Kelvin Furze

by Martyn Overy -
Kelvin,

A step by step process?

I am going to assume you have a control panel such an Cpanel.

1. Manual setup of the database

Access 'MySQL databases' by clicking on the icon

kelvin2.gif

Go to ADD DB

lets suppose you call your database mood

kelvin3.gif

If your username for you account is mywebsite

Then the db is usually set up as mywebsite_mood

(This is the name of your db which needs to be entered into the config.php file later)

Now choose a username for the database such as kelvin1
and a password such as ff5thy9

kelvin4.gif

Then your username for the database is normally set up as mywebsite_kelvin1

(This is the username which needs to be entered into the config.php file later)

and the password will be ff5thy9

(This is the password for the user which needs to be entered into the config.php file later)

Then use MySQL database panel to link the username you have setup to the database.

kelvin5.gif

Tick 'all' box for privileges.

That is all that is needed for the setup of the database.

The next step is to ensure that the config.php file has the same information..........

In reply to Martyn Overy

by Kelvin Furze -
Well, what can I say. THANKYOU. I followed your instructions, they were perfectly clear, everything worked. Can I buy you a drink smile
In reply to Martyn Overy

by Martyn Overy -
Now, go to your Moodle download and the unzipped package and find

config-dist.php

Enter the information below and rename the file config.php

kelvin6.jpg

BUT wait, there is more to this config.php .....and this is where many users become unstuck.............. (to follow)
In reply to Martyn Overy

by Martyn Overy -
Now to complete the config.php file, based on the previous information:

Suppose you are uploading the Moodle files into a directory named moodle, onto your website called www.kelvinswebsite.org Then the following information will be entered
kelvin10.gif

Now, you need to enter the equivalent full directory address (not URL) to your installation. If you don't know this, you need to ask your friendly hosting people, or install and run phpinfo.php in your root html directory ( then run it as http://www.kelvinswebsite.org/phpinfo.php ). This should reveal the information you need. It might well be like /home/mywebsite/public_html/

kelvin11.gif

Finally, the location of all those important data files you certainly do not want the world to see!  Create a directory  moodledata , for example, one level above the public_html base, so the world cannot see it. Then enter the location , consistent with all the previous  addresses....

kelvin12.gif
In reply to Martyn Overy

by Kelvin Furze -
Many thanks smile I'm actually ahead of you now and have managed to install the script and configure my settings. The config.php configuration was straightforward - and I managed to get it to work first time. I thank you for your help. The only thing I am struggling with, is the configuration of the 'Variables' from the admin panel. All other links work fine and I have altered themes etc. However, when I click on the VARIABLES link from the Configuration panel I receive an error message telling me that Moodle could not connect to the database. This is the only place where this message is received. Your help on this one would be appreciated. It's nice to be moving on to more 'advanced' problems. Regards Kelvin Furze .
In reply to Kelvin Furze

by Martyn Overy -
Kelvin,

What is the exact message you are obtaining? Could be a number of problems/issues.

Martyn overy
In reply to Martyn Overy

by Kelvin Furze -
Exact message shown below: Error: Moodle could not connect to the database. It's possible the database itself is just not working at the moment. The admin should also check that the database details have been correctly specified in config.php Database host: localhost Database name: passengl_moodle Database user: passengl (One thing I notice is that the database user is only partially complete. and doesn't include the _ and the user name. The full database user was entered on the config.php correctly. Everything else on the website works fine. If you like I can give you the website address and the password and you can have a poke around. That's if you have nothing better to do of course.) Regards
In reply to Kelvin Furze

by Martyn Overy -
Kelvin,

The config file should include the full username, otherwise connection will be refused.  You could try uploading the config file again , after checking/adjusting the contents. You can send me further details by e-mail
In reply to Martyn Overy

by Kelvin Furze -
The config file does include the full user name. Everything, bar setting up the 'variables' function works after all. I've checked again and reloaded the file. The problem persists.
In reply to Kelvin Furze

by Martyn Overy -

OK...   I am wondering if this has been experienced before, by anyone? thoughtful 

Which version of Moodle are you installing? Is it a fresh install? Are you writing over a previous upload/version?

Check that there are no spaces/gaps  in  between    passengl  and your username   in   passengl_username

Also, check that you have not uploaded this config.php to the admin directory ( where the the config.php  file there is quite different from config.php file in the main directory)

I am going back to look at my own setups.  If you could send me a copy of your config file by e-mail, or any other details you might not want to reveal in a public arena!

In reply to Martyn Overy

by Martyn Overy -

Contents of    phpinfo.php

<?php
    phpinfo();
?>

In reply to Martyn Overy

by W Page -
Hello!

I think the following should be "false" and not "true". Martin made this change in the most recent stable distribution v1.2 and v1.2.1
$CFG->dbpersist = false // Use persistent database connection?

Please see the following,
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/search.php?search=%24CFG-%3Edbpersist&id=5

WP1
In reply to Martyn Overy

by W Page -
Hi Martyn!,

Please post this very wonderful information/instruction at,
New HowTos
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=1428

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Kelvin Furze -
Thank you very much to everyone on this site who has offered help - especially Martyn. I have reloaded all the files, everything works perfectly. Considering the fact that I am ICT incompetent, this is no small achievement. £25 has been sent to Children in Need as a mark of my thanks for all the help given.
In reply to Kelvin Furze

by Sally Student -
It is so nice to know that I am not alone. I too am baffled by the installation instructions. I've called a friend who designs databases for a living but we can't meet until Fri. Perhaps I am being stubborn but I would really like to figure this out on my own. I've managed to download, Moodle & EasyPHP but I can't figure out how to create the required database. Oh the other problem is with localhost (this could be a real gee, duh moment for me so please forgive my ignorance). When I go to http://localhost or localhost/moodle I get the error message below. What am I doing wrong?

558 DNS Host Not Found
This Web page could not be opened. Please verify the address, then try again.

I am trying to load Moodle to my Cedant (web host)account
MySQL 4.0.18-log running on localhost as sleceo@localhost
PHPMyAdmin is version 2.5.2
Moodle version - the release before last (downloaded 5/20/04)
I know nothing of platforms etc - if you tell me where to look, I'll glady report any additional information you may need.

Thanks a million.
In reply to Sally Student

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Its difficult when writing installation instructions to know who to pitch it at. Its compounded by Moodle being installable on many different platforms. I think you have to expect to need a little system administration experience on your chosen platform if you are going to find it easy. On the other hand, we all had to start somewhere, so if you are stuck don't be afraid to ask!

Firstly, you should not set $CFG->wwwroot to have anything to do with localhost. localhost is simply shorthand for "the machine I am using now". So as soon as you try and access moodle from any other machine it will not work. localhost is ok for the database connection if moodle and the database are on the same machine.

You need to use either the DNS name or the IP address of the server machine both in config.php and when you try and access it. Obviously, the DNS name will be easier, but depending on your network setup it is possible you don't have one.

You also say that you have been unable to create the database - what exactly is the problem/errors you are having?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Ray Lawrence -

Howard,

Would you recommend that Sally (?) downloads version 1.3 (25th May) before going any further?

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I don't see why not - it is no harder to install and includes all the latest features and fixes.