how to use Moodle to organize and manage a large class?

how to use Moodle to organize and manage a large class?

by karen Gong -
Number of replies: 7

Hi,

I am experiencing teaching a course using Moodle ,which has 12 students right now.

Hopefully, My class will expand with more enrolled students,and I have no idea on how to organize a larger class, for example one teacher versus 200 students.

Could someone tell me how to organize a large class using Moodle and guide the students to learn efficiently and collaboratively?

Thank you in advance!

karen gong from China

Average of ratings: -
In reply to karen Gong

Re: how to use Moodle to organize and manage a large class?

by Pieter van der Hijden -

The key solution is subdivide the class into subgroups that will exist during the whole course.

1. You can invent a number of groups and give them a name (colours) or a number and the possibility to add a name to them later.
  2. Use the Moodle Choice-activity to let the students enrol for a certain group. After this poll is closed you have to copy the results to the group administration manually, but only once.
  3. Take time and spend energy to the group development process. Ask the groups to invent a name, to prepare a special web page (wiki), to add the group name to the profile pages of its members, to appont a representative.
  4. Create an additional group for all the representatives.
  5. Exploit the Moodle functions for subgroups (discussion by subgroup, wiki by subgroup, etc.).
  6. Use multi-stage activities were he subgroups prepare some results internally and publish it once finished to the larger audience (e.g. via a plenary forum or wiki).
  7. Give feedback at subgroup level. Prepare overviews of the keyresults by subgroup.

That's it for the moment. Is this the type of comments you are looking for?

In reply to Pieter van der Hijden

回复: Re: how to use Moodle to organize and manage a large class?

by karen Gong -

Thank you so much for your advice.

I had already created two groups among the 12 students to discuss relevant topics using wiki. For the students are not familiar with moodle, they felt helpless and don't know how to learn. Although I prepared the course guideline in which I explained how to study step by step, the students still felt frustrated. we will meet face-to-face tomorrow and I will figure out what is the problem!

I know I should employ instructional strategies like you provided. I am wondering  how to let the students activley participate in the class activity.

Grouping is one option, and what are other effective solutions?

In reply to karen Gong

Re: 回复: Re: how to use Moodle to organize and manage a large class?

by Pieter van der Hijden -

The reason for grouping is mainly bringing down the massive numbers where students can feel anonymous and to create a small and safe environment. In the small environment there is more social control, informal contact etc., which helps in keeping the students on board.

To have them active participating is another challenge. A few suggestions:

• give the students weekly tasks and let them earn some points;
  • a first task could be to upload their picture and give some personal statements (either to the subgroup or to the whole); this gives the students a face, makes them less anonimous and improves mutual contacts;
  • organise frequent feedback; preferably without overloading the teacher; feedback can be organised by subgroup (forum), or via de workshop activity or as the result of a quiz (that can be calculated automatically);
  • keep track of login statistics; see if a reasonable amount of students logs in during the week; take measures if not; e.g. discuss it with the chairs of the subgroups;
  • make the start page attractive and frequently changing; a block with the top ten quiz results can be challenging; a block with a daily changing glossary entry (that could be a cartoon as well) too.

Re: 回复: Re: how to use Moodle to organize and manage a large class?

by Brett Hinton -
One of the ways I also like to keep my start page fresh and attractive is to use the RSS feed block to highlight a current discussion topic or recent glossary entries. That way on the front page students can see, at a glance, some of the new things that have been added. You can also use outside RSS feeds coming from a source you trust and that has relevant news or information for your class.
In reply to Brett Hinton

回复: Re: 回复: Re: how to use Moodle to organize and manage a large class?

by karen Gong -

Your idea is great , and I will try. Moodle is new for me,  and there are many things I have to learn. I hope I can use it effectivley one day!

回复: Re: 回复: Re: how to use Moodle to organize and manage a large class?

by karen Gong -

Thank you for your detailed strategies which are so valuable for me and I will try your suggestions step by step.

For the grouping function in Moodle, does the teacher have to add the students to the relavant groups manually?

In reply to karen Gong

Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: how to use Moodle to organize and manage a large class?

by Rick Barnes -
When you create the group you can edit the group properties and give the group an enrolement key. (you must set up a course enrolment key, but it will not be used) Give the pupils in a group their enrolment key and when they enrol they will be added to the group.

Rick.