Scheduled backups for all courses are failing with the same error:

01:07 AM:32 copying course files
01:07 AM:32 zipping files
01:07 AM:32 copying backup
01:07 AM:32 cleaning temp data
01:07 AM:32 Phase 3: Deleting old backup files:
01:07 AM:32 checking /home/meridia2/public_html/uploaddata/1/backupdata
01:07 AM:32 found 2 backup files

I am getting the same error when the backup dir is set to a dir with 777 or left as the default as shown above.

Also manual backups are failing with the same error

• Creating temporary structures
  • Deleting old data
  • Creating XML file
    • Writing header
    • Writing general info

I'm running 1.7.1 hosted at siteground.com. Has been upgraded from 1.6 when backups worked fine.

Any help appreciated, or advice on how to start trying to track this down for myself.

Thanks Wayne

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wayne Hamilton

Re: Failed backups, can anyone help?

by Peter Clitheroe -
Hi Wayne

I've been struggling with this for the last several months and been tearing my hair out. A fresh installation a week ago on a different server with a different host then content backup and restore worked, and continues to work, fine.

A couple of days ago I contacted Siteground helpdesk who identified a problem with the cron command (which had been fine at some distant point in time). They changed it so something quite different (apparently to better suit the specific server I was on. It's very early days but the problem SEEMS to be fixed. I know helpdesk is difficult to reach at Siteground but I went through the cPanel problems route. wink

Good luck.

Peter
In reply to Wayne Hamilton

Re: Failed backups, can anyone help?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Wayne,

I've stared at your post for ages now and don't actually see any "error" reported. Is there an actual error message reported? Running a backup in manually with debug on can give some more info too.