No User Pictures

No User Pictures

by Arno Muhren -
Number of replies: 7

Hi everyone,

I have a Windows 2003 server configured with IIS6, PHP, MySQL and Moodle running on it. Everything works fine except for the user pictures, they don't appear. I just get a white square with a little red cross in it. GD is installed and activated, my dataroot is defined properly in the config.php. I have been trying a lot, but just don't seem to get it working, the standard smileys do appear though, but they are not called by a .php-file. Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks,

Arno Muhren

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Arno Muhren

Re: No User Pictures

by Bill White -
What format are the pictures saved as?
JPEG
PNG
TIFF

Check php info to make sure you have support for the format of the pictures.
I had GD installed but only PNG format was enabled.

Cheers,
Bill
In reply to Arno Muhren

by David Adams -
I actually had this same problem yesterday.  The fix was semi-nonobvious, as I had gone over the pix.php, and the directory permissions and verified that the jpgs being generated by moodle were not corrupt. 

In my case, during one of my edits of the config.php file several blank lines had been added to the end of config.php.  Once I noticed the extra LFs, I deleted them, resaved the file and the pictures began to function normally.

Dave
In reply to Arno Muhren

by Arno Muhren -

Thanks for the quick answers, I have no blank lines at the end of my conf-file, I have GD enabled and the info.php tells me (under GD) that jpg is enabled.

Arno Muhren

In reply to Arno Muhren

by Christopher Phillips -
In reply to Christopher Phillips

by Arno Muhren -

I'll follow your topic as well...hope we can figure this out soon, it's been one sleepless night trying all sorts of things already...

Arno Muhren

In reply to Arno Muhren

by Nigel Ward -
I was unable to see user pictures even though I was sure everything was set up correctly. I eventually identified the problem but this may not apply to you as you have your own server. My Moodle is hosted by a web presence provider who had disabled the PHP readfile function 'for reasons of security'. Readfile is used by pix.php and by file.php so neither was working. At my request the WPP enabled the function and pictures are now working. You can check whether readfile is enabled in yoursite/moodle/admin/phpinfo.php? - search for disable_functions and check whether readfile has been disabled. Good luck...