CSV Import (My attempt)

CSV Import (My attempt)

by David Fountain -
Number of replies: 59

I have written something that allows me to import a CSV file into moodle's gradebook (grades for assignments and the additional gradings that gradebook allows us to set up).

I have tagged it onto the bottom of the block I wrote for displaying criteria reference achievements.

The block can be found here

In reply to David Fountain

Re: CSV Import (My attempt)

by Cody Nosfe -
Thanks for this block!

A silly question: do you need gradebook plus to make it work?
I'm trying to install it and it simply won't do.
I'm on Moodle 1.6, btw. I see gradebook plus for 1.7 is around, but the 1.6 version I can't find anywhere apart from the CVS.
In reply to Cody Nosfe

by David Fountain -

Yes, I have used it with gradebook plus on moodle 1.5.4 and moodle 1.7, I got mine from CVS.

Have noticed one issue so far - must not try to import more than 9 columns (name + 8 grades), I will fix this soon it is just a form option naming issue.

by shamly abdelfattah -
Hey David,

Can we use Criteria on Moodle 1.9?

Thanks!

Shamly

In reply to shamly abdelfattah

by David Fountain -
Hi Shamly
Not for use on 1.9 - it relys on Gradebook plus which has been superceded by 1.9's revamped gradebook. From what I have seen on 1.9's gradebook there is a report plugin that I really need to take a closer look at as I think it can do what is needed, although I may look at updating the block for 1.9 as I think my students like the visual feedback. But it's going to be a little while as I'm committed to 1.8 for this year and so it's likely to be August before I get into it. The new gradebook storage and roles is something I'll have to get my head around.

Dave

by shamly abdelfattah -
Thank you David.

We are using Moodle 1.9 for our pharmacy students at UACP. We are using outcomes and Portfolios and would like to use ruberic as an assessment tool
and we would like to monitor the students progress throughout the program
I know Moodle has all the tools to do that , But I do not know how to do that ?
Any suggestions?.

Thank you very much.

Shamly

by shamly abdelfattah -
Hi David,

I think, I got the criteria block working on Moodle 1.9, but it does not change color and only works on assignments and grading had to be done manually.
Thanks!

Shamly

by Mike Allen -

I can not get this to instal on 1.6.4+.

I've added GradeBook Plus OK, but the site refuses to even acknowledge the presence of the Criteria block. Is this me or is it not available for 1.6.4+?

In reply to Mike Allen

by David Fountain -

Hi Mike,

I think it should but I cannot be certain. My site is running 1.5.4 and I have a development server running 1.7 that I have tried it on. If I get a chance tonight I will put up a 1.6 server and test it.

You have installed the gradebook plus, have you also installed the 'dfocrnational' block which was the zip file attached to the first post? It should be a normal block style installation.

Dave

In reply to Mike Allen

by David Fountain -
Mike
I am having the same problem with 1.6.5, I will investigate.

Dave

by David Fountain -
I think I have tracked down the problem, I had left some sql table instructions from a very early attempt before I realised that I didn't need to add anything to the database - now I have removed these, and one other line, it works on my 1.6.5

by Mike Allen -
Many thanks David,
All now working well.
Mike
In reply to Mike Allen

by Ger Tielemans -

Can I - with this blok - create a view on the "criteria-matches" of several courses Together? 

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by David Fountain -

Hi Ger

Sorry I'm afraid that this will not be possible with this block. I have seen elsewhere posts regarding a report card and I don't see any reason why it should not be possible although I will be the first to admit that I am a novice in both php and sql, but if I can get some time during the summer holidays to get my head around the moodle functions and necessary authentications to make sure that only duly authorised people can compile such reports across courses I might have a stab at it.

As a starting point I would think that the block (or module if that would be more suitable) would have to display a list of courses, for which they are allowed to view grades for. From each of these courses they should be given the option of which gradeable activities to include in the report. They should also be given a list of students who are registered for each course and be able to choose a subset of students for whom to create the report. I think the report should be persistent and editable, being updated with current grades when run. (Boy! - this is sounding like quite a project!! - I wouldn't be able to start on this until August)

This looks as though it will be part of the gradebook revamp taking place for 1.9 or do you read it differently to me?

by jonathan Joy -
Has any one installed it on 1.8 at the moment I'm getting

dfocrnational as the block

In reply to jonathan Joy

by David Fountain -

Hi Jonathan

The ??? indicates that the language (lang) file is not where it should be...most likely my fault for not setting up the zip file structure to unzip into the moodle root folder - I was nervous about possibly overwriting stuff. If you look in the zip there should be a lang folder, copy it to your moodle lang folder and you should then get the correct strings in place of the ???.

Dave

by jonathan Joy -

Thanks for the quick reply I'll try it tomorrow

Q Does it go inside the lang folder or overwrite it ?

regards jonathan

In reply to jonathan Joy

by David Fountain -
In the zip is a folder called en.
Inside this is the file called block_dfocrnational.php.

Inside your moodle directory is a folder called lang.
Inside this is a folder called en.

Putting the file from the zip into the moodle/lang/en folder will overwrite any file called block_dfocrnational.php - but there probably isn't one there yet which is why you are getting the ... output.

If you copy the en folder rather than the file then it should do the same thing but I was initially nervous about this, so always copied the files individually having first checked to see if there were any with the same name in the folder!! I'm getting a bit braver now, having played with a number of virtual moodles set ups.

by jonathan Joy -
Yes it was there but because I'm using 1.8 I put it in en_utf8

Seems to be working a treat

Many thanks

by jonathan Joy -

I'm not sure how it interfaces with the grade book do you add To "set grade letters" or "add graded event"

also when I tried uploading I get (I'm moodle 1.8)

Upload Proceeding...

Fatal error: Cannot use object of type XMLDBTable as array in /var/www/blocks/dfocrnational/uploadready.php on line 43
In reply to jonathan Joy

by David Fountain -

Hi Jon

I've only just set up a 1.8 testing site so I'll have a look but it might not be until the weekend. I also get the Upload Proceeding... but not the Fatal error, but the data is not passed into the database so something is going wrong. I'll have to have a look at what has changed in moolde from 1.7 to 1.8.

The interface, that shows students their progress (not the CSV upload of grades), I have done by 'add new graded event' and for each group of results I give them a common prefix. We have, for example, 6 Assessment Objectives (AO's), in each you can get a Pass, Merit or Distinction and there are a number of different criteria in each so:

AO1P1 indicates that this is Assessment Objective 1, Pass level, 1st Criteria.

AO1M4 indicates AO1, Merit level, 4th Criteria.

I use one block for each AO and display the criteria from 3 levels.

The image below shows the configuration of a block with 3 levels each of which has 6 criteria.

Configure block

By using a prefix AO1, AO2, AO3 I separate the display of grades into separate blocks, eg:

Series

HTH.

Dave

In reply to jonathan Joy

Re: CSV Import - Fatal Error line 43

by David Fountain -
Jon,

I think I have found the problem and have got it to work on my test 1.8 site.
I had used a variable $table which I renamed, it appears to have solved the problem.

Thanks for posting the error message, it made it much easier to track down and, hopefully, resolve.

The latest version on the download has now been updated, and also has the lang folder with both en and en_utf8 folders.

Dave

by jonathan Joy -

Nearly there I'm importing into the grade book and updating the data base

I'm not sure if I've configured the block properly

because when I switch to student view I get Invalid graded event id on the grade links also do you put the grade letters in the grade book ?

In reply to jonathan Joy

by David Fountain -

Jon,

The switch to student view doesn't make sense in this situation as the information collated in the block comes from a particular student's results. The 'switch to student view' doesn't (I think) give any data for the block to work with. In my 1.8 I don't get "Invalid graded event id" - is this in the block or in gradebook? 

To see how it as a student, create a dummy student and login as them.

Now the grade letters.

We need to be clear about what we mean.

Do you mean the grade we award the student or the name of the assignment.

The gradebook will only hold grades for students that are numerical, any equivalent letter is done via a translation. The assignment names must have prefixes that allow us to group them into the block. 

With a criteria based course I use 0 and 1 to mean incomplete and complete, I don't use the Grade Letters tab to set letters equivalent to these numerical values. It is possible to assign letters to be shown for grades but for my purposes I stick with 0 and 1. Were you thinking of awarding "Pass", "Merit" and "Distinction" for AO1?

The block displays red or green based on the 'value' stored in the gradebook and this must be 0 or 1. (If you need something different I should be able to sort something out) [Actually I think it displays red unless the value is 1]

Would you like me to take a look at your site, if you give me a login and the link I would see what's happening. (Email: df@astorcollege.org.uk )

by jonathan Joy -
Seems to be working fine now, thanks

Is it possible to link to an assignment graded 1 or 0

and instead of displaying 1, 2 ,3 etc display a , b , c

I can import csv grades and manally create them in the grade book but if I assign 1 or 0 in the assignment module I can't display as a criteria

I'll e-mail you with a login

Thanks for your patience Jonathan

by Mike Wilson -

Hi folks,

I've been trying to get the Criteria Reference block to work. I've set it up according to the instructions in the download file (I'm using 1.8).

I've set-up 14 assignments (8 pass, 4 merit, 2 distinction) in gradebook plus.

First question: will Criteria Reference work with gradebook2?

I've got everything set-up but when I click on an assignment number in the Criteria Reference block, I get the following error message:

"Invalid graded event id"

This looks like a really handy block and exactly what we're after. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike

In reply to Mike Wilson

Re: CSV Import - Invalid graded event id

by David Fountain -

Jon, Mike

Think I have resolved this issue, it was to do with my SQL and that I'm running a non utf database. Have fixed it and if you care to download the current version I think it should now work. Tested on my 1.8 test site.

Thanks for you help.

Dave

by David Fountain -

Latest version posted today.

Improvements:

• Hyperlinks from block to assignment now works
  • Can choose to have either numerical or alphabetical suffixes to names of assignments eg Level 3a, Level 3b, Level 3c, or P1, P2, P3.

by Ollie Curtis -

Hi everyone,

David did you manage to try the Criteria block on 1.6?  Did it work?  I am still having problems with this block in 1.6.  All the language files are in the correct place etc, but the block does not appear when i login to moodle.  I have tried it with the 1.6 version of the block and the latest version.  Any ideas where i have gone wrong?  Anybody know how i could fix it?

Thanks very much

Ollie Curtis

In reply to Ollie Curtis

by David Fountain -

Hi Ollie

Yes I have had it working with 1.6 though I haven't tested the latest version with 1.6, only with 1.5 and 1.8. Both versions of the block are the same so you don't need to try one and then the other. If I can get it working then I'll post it as a separate version for 1.6.

I will install it again on my 1.6 system and see if I can replicate the problem.

Easy things first though:

1. Do you have the dfocrnational block installed in the blocks folder?
  2. Does the block appear in the admin-config-blocks screen at all (as "Criteria Reference")?
  3. Is your database utf_8?

Dave

by Ollie Curtis -

Hi David,

Thanks very much for the reply.  The dfocrnational block is installed in the blocks folder.  Our database is utf_8.  But, unfortunately the block does not appear in the admin-config blocks screen.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Ollie 

In reply to Ollie Curtis

by David Fountain -
Hi Ollie,

I'm sorry but it installs cleanly on my test 1.6.5 system, if you let me know what other blocks you have then I could try installing them on my test system to see if I can replicate the problem.

Did you visit the admin screen and get the message that dfocrnational block was successfully set up? (And remember in the blocks screen it is called Criteria Reference and not dfocrnational)
In reply to Ollie Curtis

by David Fountain -
Hi Ollie

I just set up a fresh 1.6.5 install and put in gradebook patch and my block and it works...if you want me to have a look I can if you message me your site and let me in.

Dave

by Andrea Gregory (Gordon) -

Hi David,

I'm having some problems with both the Gradebook Plus V2 and the Criteria Reference Block, if anyone could help???

I'm using 1.7.2 and need the Criteria Ref Block installed. So i did what it said and installed the Gradebook Plus (which will not work).... so then I thought perhaps it only works in conjunction with the Criteria Ref block so i then installed it (STILL doesn't work!) - THEN i moved back to the original gradebook and guess what..... yeah you guessed it, still doesn't work sad sad

When using the original gradebook, my grades show up as normal but when i move to the gradebook plus V2 it says "no grades returned" ........ I'm assuming as this is not working, that is probably the reason for the Criteria Block not working? Anyone any ideas???? ...... Please!!! sad

Andrea

In reply to Andrea Gregory (Gordon)

by David Fountain -
Hi Andrea

The criteria block needs gradebook, but gradebook does not need criteria block.

Gradebook certainly took a split but I think that 1.7.2 uses the latest version of gradebook plus so if you are sure you have that and not the previous version I'm not sure...gradebook isn't my baby (despite how much I love it!)

If I get some time this week I'll put up a 1.7 server and have a look to see if there is anything I can spot.

Sorry to have been absolutely no help whatsoever!

Ok. So if 1.7.2 uses the Gradebook Plus V2 already (i'm not sure either), then the Criteria Ref Block should already work with it?  Maybe I'm not getting what way they are used together???? mixed

I have 2 dummy students with grades in my gradebook then the criteria reference block which doesn't seem to be linked in any way to the grades?? How do they come together?? thoughtful

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Andrea - I have no experience with the criteria reference block so I am not sure what it requires to get it working.
In reply to Anthony Borrow

Ok Anthony, I tried to install the Gradebook Plus V2 (which i am now thinking is not in 1.7.2?) but it won't show any grades/results for the students.... if i change it back to the original gradebook, the results show up fine.... any ideas?? ;)

by Anthony Borrow -
Andrea - As I mentioned there were several changes to the /grade/lib.php file for the 18STABLE branch in Moodle core. I have upgraded the GBPv2 18STABLE to include these changes. I have also gone through and upgraded the 17STABLE branch of GBPv2 so that it is current with 17STABLE Moodle core. There have been very few changes to 17STABLE and my recommendation would be to upgrade to Moodle 1.8 and use the GBPv2 (18STABLE branch) code as I believe that it has been more thoroughly tested. My general sentiments about Moodle 1.7 was that it was really rather buggy with all of the new role stuff. Moodle 1.8 was able to address most of those issues and I would find it hard to imagine a good argument for staying with 1.7 (over 1.8). Peace - Anthony

by David Fountain -
Hi Andrea.

The first thing to do is get Gradebook plus working, take up Anthony's offer of help as he is the main bod on this. It does need installing as it not part of the standard moodle setup.

Criteria Reference I created in response to my students wanting a visual progress on the course page without diving into the grade book.

If you want to see it working let me know and I'll send you logins to my test site (it is running moodle 1.8 though).

The block needs assignments, or gradebook manual gradings, to be named in a sequential manner. For example we have Assessment Objectives 1 to 6 and these have Pass/Merit/Distinction criteria, so I name the first set of criteria (assignments and/or manual grades): AO1P1, AO1P2, AO1P3...guess what I name the first 3 merit criteria? The prefix, in this case AO1P, is set in the block configuration screen for each instance.

Grades are entered as normal but to indicate a criterion has been passed it is given a mark of 1. This then turns the student's view of this criterion 'green' in my block. Incomplete criteria are 'red' and clicking on the link takes the student to the criterion itself, either the assignment or the gradebook description.

by Anthony Borrow -
Andrea - Let me know what problems you are having with GBPv2 and I will see if we can help you. I'm doing my best to maintain GBPv2 for Moodle 1.8 but if there are needed changes in 1.7 then I could make those as well but it may be a while before I have a chance to update the 1.7 branch code. I just finished doing the 1.8 to get it patched up to the latest version in Moodle Core. Peace - Anthony

Re: CSV Import (My attempt) - BUG

by David Fountain -
Dear All,

If you have used the latest version which I modified for Jon to allow for assignments and gradebook entries to be shown on the block there was a bug that meant that if you only had gradebook, or only had assignments being linked to the block it did not display correctly for the students (no matter whether they had passed or not it showed red).

I have fixed it with the latest download now available.

Dave

CSV Import - bug fix (Thanks Jared)

by David Fountain -
Jared found hard-coded paths in some of the code for the CSV import, it should now be fixed.

Use with Gradekeeper?

by Steve S. -
Anyone tried to use this with Gradekeeper (exporting from Gradekeeper into Moodle)?
In reply to Steve S.

Re: Use with Gradekeeper?

by David Fountain -

Hi Steve

Sorry that you haven't had any response yet. I am not familiar with Gradekeeper.

If it can export as a CSV file then it can import so long as the gradebook fields where you want to store the results have been created in moodle's gradebook first.

Dave

by David Craggs -

Hi,

Being a little new to moodle I am struggling to get this module working how I want it to.  We have setup and installed the module and now have the block appearing on a course page.  I have also setup grades as suggested, running from AO1P1 to P6, AO1M1 to M3 etc.. but the block only displays Level, OK/NOT and No of..

What have I setup incorrectly?

Many Thanks for your assistance. 

In reply to David Craggs

by David Fountain -
I think that is fine, the 'teacher' will not be completing the grading and so it displays a summary of the grid that will appear to students. To see a student view create a dummy student and log in as them.

by David Craggs -

Brilliant - works fine.  Thanks for the help - was working on the basis of switching roles...

Now to install 1.9 on test server and have a play with the new gradebook.

Dave

Use with Gradebook Plus Version 2?

by Dirk Koudstaal -
Hi, we use criteria based assessment and teachers are not using the Moodle standard gradebook. Reading the documentation I am still not clear on some of the features and requirements for the Criteria Reference Display block. Before I install for the teachers (and get them all exited), I have not been able to find an answer to the issues below (I run Moodle 1.8):
  • Can you record more than one criteria against one task (ie assignment)?
  • Gradebook Plus seems to be for version 1.5 only; do I have to use Gradebook Plus Version 2?
  • We do not use normative assessment and are not interested in numerical analysis of grades; we use letter grades (A, B, C, D, F) and final award in the subject is based on an algorithm using the overall grades in each criteria (I am not interested in running the algorithm in Moodle, as long as I can export the letter grades.
Is this all possible in Criteria Reference Display?
In reply to Dirk Koudstaal

Re: Use with Gradebook Plus Version 2?

by Anthony Borrow -
Dirk - I am not familiar with the Criteria Reference Display block or how it works. If you are using Moodle 1.8 and need the additional functionality of the Gradebookplus patch then yes you ought to be using Gradebookplus Version 2 (for Moodle 1.8 - i.e. the 18STABLE branch). It sounds like criteria based assessment may be related to outcomes which is something you may want to read about as it is a new feature in Moodle 1.9. I suspect that if you are going to be upgrading, that you will be happier with 1.9 but feel free to compare and let us know what you think. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Dirk Koudstaal -
Thanks Anthony. I have eyed 1.9 with great interest but last time a I upgraded from 1.7 to 1.8 I ran into a lot of trouble and I did it stupidly in the middle of the academic year; the teachers and students have now almost forgiven me for the trouble I caused them smile. We have an academic year from Jan to Nov and the teachers have spent a lot of time organising their courses so I might have to wait with an upgrade till the end of the year.

I will proceed with the Criteria Reference Display and let you know how we are getting on. (http://www.tqa.tas.gov.au/4DCGI/_WWW_doc/008228/RND01/INFORMATION_TECHNOLOGY&SYSTEMS.pdf
as an example on page 7 of this document are the criteria of an information systems course. Teachers give assignments that will have to be assessed at times on all of these criteria)
Cheers, Dirk

by Anthony Borrow -
Dirk - I agree, it is prudent to not do a major upgrade on a production site during the middle of the year. The changes to the gradebook are significant and it will be a big change for teachers and it is not good to hoist that on them mid-year. Best of luck figuring out the best way to survive the year. Peace - Anthony

by David Fountain -
Hi Dirk,
I wrote the criteria display block so I hope I can answer your questions, although I don't think that the block will match your requirements, particularly the need to record more than a pass/fail result such as A B C D...
  • Can you record more than one criteria against one task (ie assignment)?
No.
  • Gradebook Plus seems to be for version 1.5 only; do I have to use Gradebook Plus Version 2?
Yes.

A few other points:
  • The block is not a grading system in itself.
  • Gradebook plus allows you to create graded events that are not associated with an assignment (or other activity). [This feature is available within the standard gradebook in 1.9]
  • My purpose in designing the block was to give students a visual feedback on their progress through a criteria based course. It simply displays a grid colour-coded showing whether they have completed, or not, a particular criterion. The criterion needs to be set up in gradebook and is marked there (0 incomplete, 1 complete).
  • The block does not work in 1.9 (I doubt I will make the alterations needed for 1.9 as I hope that the standard gradebook and the new outcomes will achieve more or less what I require)
If I can be of any further help please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dave

by Anthony Borrow -
Dave - Thanks for shedding light on this and for contributing the code to the Moodle community. It would be helpful if you might update the Modules and Plugins entry to indicate what versions you block works with (and which ones it does not). Perhaps a little blurb of what you said about your intentions with maintaining the block would be helpful too. That way, if someone wants to take the initiative they are welcome to take over some contributed code. Having some of that information readily available will be very helpful to me as we continue to work with contributed code. Peace - Anthony

by Mawuli Kuivi -
Hello David,
I have Moodle 1.9 the latest and l cannot see the option for adding events.

Is there a settings l have to do somewhere to see this option?

Option to create graded events in Moodle 1.9?

Thanks in advance.
In reply to Mawuli Kuivi

by David Fountain -
The gradebook in 1.9 has the facility to add graded events manually, that is separate from assignments etc.
To do this go into the gradebook by clicking grades in the admin panel for the course.
Use the drop down in the top left 'Choose an action' and select Edit - Categories and items, this will allow you to add new graded events.
I am looking at updating my 'criteria reference' block to 1.9 at the moment but there is no need for the CSV import as this is now a function within the 1.9 gradebook.

Dave
In reply to Mawuli Kuivi

by Mawuli Kuivi -
In reply to Mawuli Kuivi

Criteria Reference Block for 1.9 - RELEASED

by David Fountain -
(Sorry for the double post - I checked the title of the first post in this thread and realised that it is headed 'CSV Import' and as that is the one thing that has been removed from the block I thought a new thread would be better.)

I am pleased to announce that the Criteria reference block has been updated for 1.9.
A few changes have resulted:
  • The csv upload facility for grades has been removed (this is now part of gradebook proper)
  • The number of levels per block has been extended, it had been limited to 3. Now by choosing from a drop down you can extend it by 3 each time...so I guess it can have as many as you want.
  • The link from the table to the module I think should work for most; if your favourite module doesn't let me know it should be relatively easy to code. Modules tested so far are 'assignment', 'quiz' and 'manual'.
  • Manual grade items when clicked through this table will display the iteminfo field. This field, completed when you add a new manual grade to the gradebook, can contain html.
Problems I have yet to investigate
  • If you have two assessments with the same name, eg an assignment, a quiz etc then the links break and it cannot be set to choose one to display a pass/incomplete for
  • Language strings - I have not used enough of these to allow for customisation.
  • Anything else that you find for me to look at