Create Simple Answer Key w/GIFT . . . any alternatives?

Create Simple Answer Key w/GIFT . . . any alternatives?

by Damien Riley -
Number of replies: 3

Hi.  I'm using Moodle to assess my 30 3rd grade students.  I create text files and import the questions.  Then the students transfer their paper answers into moodle where I get the data.  It is awesome.

My question is this:  Is there a simpler way to create GIFT files for simple answer-only quizzes such as these?  The notepad pasting of code gets a bit tedious and I would really benefit (as would my class) by either a WYSIWIG editor or some other form, excel or word perhaps that would allow me to just type a simple value for each answer and then import . . . voila!  Maybe I need to invent one LOL.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.  I'm new, so sorry if this is an old question.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Damien Riley

Re: Create Simple Answer Key w/GIFT . . . any alternatives?

by Jeff Forssell -
It would be good if you described, with examples, the kind of questions and answers you would like. I'm not even sure which type of question (MC, short answer, Cloze, numerical ...) you're using. Moodle itself has (partial) WSIWYG interfaces for many question types, but if you're making many similar questions a GIFT file approach can be more effective.

We are several people that have used Excel or Word based templates and some special programs for making GIFT files. So you might find what you want by searching the forums.

Do you mean by "answer-only quizzes" that it would just be like:
1. ___
2. ___
since they already have the questions on paper? It would seem to me that it would be good to include the questions anyway. It would increase the reuseablity so much (and help prevent putting an answer in the wrong place).
In reply to Jeff Forssell

Re: Create Simple Answer Key w/GIFT . . . any alternatives?

by Damien Riley -

Thanks for that great input.  For my class so far, I haven't utilized the full editing features of question by question editing in Moodle.

My tests are multiple choice.  The kids take 65 question test then take their packets to the computer lab and simply enter their answers: ie;

MC.jpg

I alter a GIFT file in notepad and then import it to MOODLE each time I make a new test.  The GIFT file coding looks like this the way my "answer-only" tests are:

// question: 1  name: 1
::1::[html]

{
 ~-
 ~-
 =-
 ~-
}

// question: 2  name: 2
::2::[html]

{
 ~-
 ~-
 ~-
 =-
}

// question: 3  name: 3
::3::[html]

{
 ~-
 =- ~-
 ~-
}

// question: 4  name: 4
::4::[html]{
 =-
 ~-
 ~-
 ~-
}

It is an awesome result for me.  It enables me

#1) To avoid grading tests by hand
#2) To instantly see (and the kids as well) their % score (we shoot for 75% or higher)

and #3) Run an Item Analysis from Moodle administration to show me the problems missed the most.  This helps me focus my teaching and imporve results next test.

If there is a faster way to create these GIFT files, I would LOVE TO FIND IT OUT!!!

thx again

damien