1.7.2 conflitc between Add discussions and group mode. It seem a bug but doesn't

1.7.2 conflitc between Add discussions and group mode. It seem a bug but doesn't

by Juan Marín -
Number of replies: 3
In one of my courses I couldn't add new discussions to several forums but I could reply to the posts published. I was jeopardized because I am admin of the site and professor of the course... and other forums in the same course let me add discussions (and I have other courses with forums and no problems when I try to add new discussions).

I lost a lot of time trying to set permissions (at course level, at problematic forums level, even site level...) and nothing solve the problem. It seems to me this was a bug (as I have recently upgrade to 1.7.2 and the forums works perfectly with my old 1.6.3). But it was quite extrange the selective behaviour of the problem (only two forums of my site have the problem and both in the same course)

After a couple of hours i realized that the conflictive forums have GROUP MODE setted to "visible groups"... Only if I select a group I could add a discussion to that group. I change the mode to No groups (as I have no groups in that course) and the forum works fine.

PS: if group mode is set to "separate groups" the "extrange" behaviour don't appear. That is, with "Visible groups" you couldn't post a discussion to "All participants". The forum forces to you to select a group prior to post a new discussion (even if you are an admin or teacher). But "separate groups" allow you to post to "all particpants".

I hope that my mistake could avoid others to lost the time i have lost wink

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Juan Marín

Re: 1.7.2 conflitc between Add discussions and group mode. It seem a bug but doesn't

by Tricia Kellison -
This is a good thing to know about and saved me a lot of embarrasssment, since I had set up several Forums (Fora?) within a course and was demonstrating how to make entries in front of a classroom, and out of nowhere faced this problem. I had read your post and was able to save my bacon. (Don't you think that 'No groups' really should be the default?) Anyway, the only thing I might suggest is that you repost with a better title, because I was having this problem in version 1.6.1 so it is not limited only to 1.7.2.
In reply to Juan Marín

Re: 1.7.2 conflitc between Add discussions and group mode. It seem a bug but doesn't

by carlos sandoval -
I have the same problem. Also i install Moodle 1.7.2+ yesterday but trouble doesn't fix.

In reply to Juan Marín

by carlos sandoval -

Hi:

We found an explication on same trouble at 1.7.2+ . In our case it is because teachers can change their own group previous they post a new message. So post gets group id shown and not real assigned teacher’s group. Then students can’t reply teacher’s post because isn’t their group’s post.

Carlos