If you cannot see any created "backupdata" dir, you have your cron process running and scheduled backups activated, the all should work fine.
But, obviously, something is happening with your scheduled backups. And it should occur in its initial steps. So, determining where (at what exact step) the process dies, we'll be able to examine the code and try to solve it.
Please, can you try this?
- Activate debug in your server.
- Try to make a backup of your course manually. Does it finish? It the answer is yes, please send me the backup file and the COMPLETE backup execution html page.
- Go to admin/backup. You should see a "Logs" link (in the upper right corner). Click on it.
- Now you should see the LAST scheduled execution. It should show "Error" in red characters. Please, click on it and you will see a detailed list of its execution. Please, send me the COMPLETE html page.
- Invoke manually the url: http://yourserver/webclass/admin/cron.php (where "yourserver" should be your REAL server, of course).
- You should see some output. If one line (under the "Running backups if required..." section says "Scheduled backup seems to be running. Execution delayed" you should wait half and hour and then try it again (yo can go to "mdl_config" table and delete the "backup_sche_running" record to reset that status too).
- When you execute the http://yourserver/webclass/admin/cron.php you should see something like:
Checking backup status...OK
Getting admin info
SATYARAM Yoga and Reflexology
Please, send me the COMPLETE html page.
With all this info, we can investigate what's happening in your server (course, module...). Remember to execute all this stuff with debug activated!
Perhaps some module is breaking the process, or something else...
TIA and ciao