Consolidating Knowledge about Blackboard to Moodle Conversions

Consolidating Knowledge about Blackboard to Moodle Conversions

by Tom Murdock -
Number of replies: 52
Does anyone have a definitive script that will translate a Blackboard archive into a Moodle backup?  My school is likely to make the platform shift soon and I was curious what exists.  I've seen various mentions on these forums, but wondered if anyone has a hardy script.

Thanks,
Tom
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom Murdock

Re: Consolidating Knowledge about Blackboard to Moodle Conversions

by Jason Cole -
Not yet, but we are in active development. We're planning to develop a tool that will take a BB archive, present the user with a default transformation, give them the opportunity to customize the transfer, then populate their course directly. We're in the early stages, but plan to have a working product by the end of the summer.
In reply to Jason Cole

by Ger Tielemans -

After Toms message, I was wondering how this could be done. I think this is a nice approach of the problem. Are you making this tool (in version 2) so flexible that you also could handle a standard IMS/CP the same way? 

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Jason Cole -
I'm hoping that we can make it flexible and XML based enough that adding another format will be as simple as creating an XSLT or something similar.

In reply to Jason Cole

by Scott Elliott -

Why not get this in the contrib directory of CVS and maybe some others can help with this?

smile

In reply to Scott Elliott

by Tom Murdock -
I like this idea! thoughtful
In reply to Scott Elliott

by Jason Cole -
As soon as we have some event moderately workable code, we'll be sharing. It's just too early in the process.

Once we get a framework, there's going to be a bunch of detail oriented work parsing XML and translating the fine details to moodle equivalents. I'm sure she'll want lots of help with that.

In reply to Jason Cole

by Jason Cole -
Another thought...

In the next few weeks we should have an architecture sketched out and some initial code in place. When we get the approach and architecture, we'll share with the community.

In reply to Jason Cole

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Jason ... is this still active?  We're looking at something similar.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Jason Cole -
We're still working on it. I've got a CS grad student working on the plan.

Our current plan is to actually do an XML transform (probably using an XSLT) to make the BB archive look like a Moodle backup file. We'll then create an interface for instructors to customize the transform for their particular class.

It looks like she's going to have a lot more time starting in the summer (in about 3 weeks). I'm really hoping to have a prototype by July and a useable product before fall semester begins here.
In reply to Jason Cole

by Jason Cole -
Just to keep everyone informed... I'm meeting with the student programmer on the 25th to lay out a project plan for the summer.

In reply to Tom Murdock

by Jason Cole -
OK.. forward progress!

Now that finals are over, the students working with me have a lot more time. We met this morning and hashed out an architecture for the converter.

The prototype / beta will be a desktop app written in Java with a Swing interface... not our standard but it's what she's comfortable with and we can go from there (you can wrap PHP around Java classes, so once the back-end logic is done we can put a PHP interface on it).

The Blackboard archive is a beast.There are over 200 XML files for a moderately complex class. The XML gets really ugly in a couple of places as well. There's a funky mix of Blackboard tags and IMS tags.

We've decided to go with an XSLT translation scheme. As both the Blackboard archive and the Moodle backup are going to be moving targets, it will be easier to maintain XSLT's than hard-coded Java. We're going to need a library of XSLT files that we can use to translate each content type.

Anyone know XSLT and want to help with this part?

The system design is as follows

1. User uploads Blackboard archive
2. User chooses Moodle Course type - topic, weekly, social
3. System parses IMS manifest
4. System displays BB course organization tree with input to assign content to topics / weeks
5. User assigns topic / week numbers to each content item
6. System generates translation plan - each item grouped by topic / week. Creates list of identifierrefs
7. Translation plan is passed to the translator
8. Translator
- Generates Moodle course descriptor XML
- For each element of the plan
- Indentify the content type by parsing 1st element
- Load appropriate XSLT for that content type
- Apply XSLT
- Add transformed XML to Moodle course XML
- Close Moodle XML
- Take all data files and add to course_files
- Create zip archive
9. User is presented with interface to download Moodle backup archive.

Comments? Thoughts?
In reply to Jason Cole

by Jason Cole -
I forgot to mention... We're still planning to have something workable by the end of the summer.

In reply to Jason Cole

by Jill Kaminski -

How is your project progressing?

smile

In reply to Tom Murdock

Converting Quiz Exported From Blackboard To GIFT Format

by A. Chavan -
I am not sure if this is the correct forum/thread for this but it seemed like the most appropriate one I could find.

I had to import into Moodle several multiple choice quizzes exported from Blackboard. [Blackboard 5.5
package format (IMS 1.1 compatible)]. It wasn't clear to me how to do this and latest status of Moodle's import abilities regarding Blackboard quizzes. So I converted the Blackboard-generated XML files to the plaintext GIFT format using XSLT and then imported them into Moodle. Here is the workaround I used.
In reply to A. Chavan

Re: Converting Quiz Exported From Blackboard To GIFT Format

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi A ?,
            clean, concise, working and usable example of xslt.smile

It permit to me to understand a little bit more how that work.wink

Another thing to learn.wide eyes

Thanks,

Bernard

p.s. It is more than a workaround, I think it is the best way to import quiz questions.

In reply to Tom Murdock

by Jason Cole -
We're getting close now... I'm going to attempt to attach our current Java app here.

It requires Java 1.5 (beta) from Sun and it's ugly.. but it's starting to work. Part of the problem is that Blackboards data is not consistent between the IMS manifest and the internal data resources. So we're going to have to do a lot more low level parsing.

The current XSLT's convert the links and the announcements. We'll be adding XSLT's over the next few weeks and working on a better interface. But the proof of concept is there.

We're targeting BB 6.1 for right now. Adding additional versions or platforms will eventually be a matter of adding more XSLT's

To run...

Go into the ExportFile_Leeclass folder
From the command line type

java MyDomParser imsmanifest.xml manifest

That will pop up a window with the manifest rendered. You can then type the topic or week number in the second column. Hit convert and it will display the Moodle structure on the right.

When you export, it will create a moodle.xml file and the resource files.

I'm looking for interface ideas and useability suggestions.

J
In reply to Jason Cole

by Jason Cole -
And the XSLT's

You'll have to put the XSL folder on the same level as an unpacked archive (we'll add auto-unzip later)

In reply to Jason Cole

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Excellent start, well done!

Soon (not just yet), others will be able to find the ongoing code in cvs:/contrib/bbconvert and nightlies downloadable via http://moodle.org/download.php/modules/bbconvert.zip

by Michael Penney -
Hi Martin, I'm getting :

Sorry, but the file you are looking for was not found! (/home/moodorg/public_html/download//modules/bbconvert.zip)

from that link. Whats up?
In reply to Michael Penney

by Martin Dougiamas -
Looks like Jason just hasn't uploaded his code there yet ...

by Jason Cole -
My bad... I'll do it today.. been busy.
In reply to Jason Cole

by Jason Cole -
Ok. I've posted the Zip file and two folders. One folder has the Java, the other has the XSLT's

J
In reply to Jason Cole

by jean hardy -

How is the tool working? Has anyone used it successfully?

Jean

In reply to jean hardy

by Jason Cole -
We are currently able to take content, forums and announcements and move them to a Moodle course. The user is presented with a hierarchical view of their BB course and selects which topic or week to move the content to.

We don't move any user data over, as the aim is to have instructors move course shells vs entire courses.

Our testing has been successful so far. Now if we can just get the darn quizzes figured out...

In reply to Jason Cole

by Ziba Scott -
That sounds great!  Is this recent code accessible? I couldn't find it in cvs:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/moodle/contrib/bbconvert/BB_Conv/build/BB_Conv.build/BB_Conv.pbxindex/

Also, what version of Blackboard are you targeting?
Thanks
In reply to Ziba Scott

by Jason Cole -
The recent code isn't yet available... I'll try to get it posted in the next day or two.

We're targeting 6.1 right now. But our architecture allows for targeting other versions by simply changing the XSLT files.
In reply to Jason Cole

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Jason -

How does the version that is currently in CVS work? What do I run to see it?

mike
In reply to Mike Churchward

by Jason Cole -
Hi Mike,

The first post in this forum has the instructions. You need to set up the directories exactly as they are in the zip file.

We're working on a more user friendly version right now. Hopefully have something to show in the next few weeks.

J
In reply to Jason Cole

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Jason -

Maybe I'm not seeing something...

The only instructions I see are:

Go into the ExportFile_Leeclass folder
From the command line type

java MyDomParser imsmanifest.xml manifest 

What is the 'ExportFile_Leeclass folder'?

mike
In reply to Jason Cole

by Tom Czachor -

I have java installed, got the bbconvert.zip file and unzipped it, have a folder with Exportfile_mycourse with my Blackboard content.

Question is, where do I unzip the BBconvert files to?

I have Blackboard v6 content and I'm game to give this a shot!!

thanks

tom

In reply to Tom Czachor

by Jason Cole -
Hi Tom,

Unzip the BBconvert files to the directory above the export file. Then copy the conversion utility itself to the exported data directory. Then try running it from there.

We're working on a new version right now that will do a complete convert. This is a very early work in progress and we're hoping the next version (which will still be a pre-alpha) will be much more useable.

J
In reply to Jason Cole

by Tom Czachor -

I got the files in the right place, got it to run and see my course content, but how do I convert/save it back out as Moodle content??

I'm up for testing for you, I have Blackboard v.6 content from Course Technology from my text books.

No pressure, but any idea when the next release will be available????

Tom

In reply to Tom Murdock

by Bob Puffer -

Luther College is a modestly-sized (2,500 FTE students) mid-western USA private college using Blackboard 5.5 for about 3-1/2 years. For the past 1-1/2 years we've been looking seriously at the open source community of CMS and have selected Moodle as the leading contender. A major critical success factor for this project is the ability to accurately convert Blackboard course data to Moodle, allowing for instructors to bring their desired courses along with them on the conversion road. We have spent great amounts of time researching and reading these forum posts and have determined to initiate a formal course data conversion project in collaboration with Linuxbox, a leading provider of outsourcing services targeted at the higher education marketplace.

The logistical approach we have chosen is fairly simple:

• Courses converted upon request of instructor by CMS administrative personnel
  • Not all Blackboard course data will be converted (for example, forum topics will, but forum threads will not)
  • There will be an understanding between the instructor and CMS administrative personnel that some additional work may be required of the instructor in order to place their course material in locations as desired.

The technical approach we have chosen was inspired by Jason Cole of San Francisco State University and details as follows:

• Blackboard exports in IMS 1.1 XML format will be processed by one XSLT 1.0 file which will output a Moodle XML backup file. A wrapper script will initiate the xml conversion and gather the course documents into a zip file. Restoring of the converted course to Moodle will complete the conversion.
  • Standard institution-specific information will be contained within the configuration of the Moodle into which the course is being imported.
  • Rather than the JAVA wrap used by Jason and his staff, we have chosen a PHP wraparound which uses the Sablotron XSLT processor to better integrate into Moodle should this code ever be placed into CVS.

The current status of this project is exploration/proof-of-concept. We have successfully converted basic Blackboard course information as well as course documents and forum topics using the XSLT methods described above. We have prepared a requirements definition and detailed design specification showing what will be done with what piece of information and are ready to engage the enemy.

We invite input and collaboration from all who are interested in this approach with a humble realization that this type of effort has been attempted numerous times with mixed results. For our part, we make the following commitment:

• We will communicate frequently with this forum and also make formal updates on the progress being achieved in this endeavor at intervals not to exceed every two weeks.
  • Alongside that, we will make the most current operational version of this conversion program available at intervals not to exceed every two weeks.

The current version of the program can be found at our Moodle test site (logon as "guest":

http://testmoodle.luther.edu/moodle/course/view.php?id=23&edit=off

<>It is fully-functional within the constraints mentioned above and requires no other software to test.
Regards
In reply to Bob Puffer

by Bob Puffer -
Just a note I failed to include inside the 30 minutes -- both the current PHP code and the current XSLT code are posted below the link to the utility mentioned in my previous message.
In reply to Bob Puffer

by Bob Puffer -
As promised here's and update to our progress in Blackboard to Moodle course conversion:
  1. Current iteration converts Blackboard 5.5 (and some Blackboard 6.x) exported course information, course content, announcements, staff information,  assignments, external links and forum topics into Moodle topically oriented sections in a Moodle 1.4.1 course site.
  2. INTERFACE for the utility (if downloaded and installed on your system) will allow the operator to seamlessly "restore" a Blackboard export without any other steps just as though it were a Moodle course backup.
  3. NEXT STEPS are to work on any course settings in Blackboard that may be reasonably convertable and then look at integrating the work done by others on quizes and surveys, if possible.
This is a project sponsored by Luther College in collaboration with The LinuxboxAdditional forum discussion is available on the Moodle.org topic -- Backup and Restore. 
In reply to Bob Puffer

by Steve Evraire -
Hi Bob. I went to the Luther College site but am a bit confused. I would like to convert my BB5.5 courses into Moodle 1.5...on your site I can't really do much as "guest". What do I need to do?
In reply to Steve Evraire

by Bob Puffer -
The BB5.5 -> Moodle conversion is now part of core Moodle code.  Steps are:
  1. Export BB 5.5 course (IMS 1.1 format)
  2. Upload exported BB zip file to Moodle site
  3. Restore BB zip file like any other Moodle course backup zip

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Peter Campbell -
Bob - any idea when this might be available for later versions of Bb? We are running 6.2.23

Thanks.

Peter
In reply to Bob Puffer

by shalin patel -
Hi bob.
   I am currently working on your tool to integrate quiz,usr data and course structure into existing bb to moodle XSL. I work for i-learn (san francisco state university's moodle LMS). SFSU has a number of teachers who use blackboard and want to move to moodle. Right now we are using our own tool for conversion. But since Blackboard and moodle version are changing frequently we decide to go with your tool only after we can fix all shortcoming with your tool. currently i am trying to add code for imporing BB quiz into moodle. But still i need your assistance as i am new to xslt. As per your posts there are some issues with the existing tools required to be solved. Can u tell me are you still working on this tool and can you give me your specification or plan of action to solve issues with the tool? Can i contact you personally to discuss this problem?

I will be very thankful to you if you help me to solve this issue.

Thank you
Shalin.
In reply to Bob Puffer

Blackboard to Moodle Conversions - for Bb6+

by Lane Grann-Stahl -
Bob,
Here at CPCC in Charlotte, NC we are currently using Bb 6.3.1.505 and the pressure is on to convert Bb courses for uploading into Moodle. 
What, please, is the status of a Bb 6+ conversion tool?  If no single tool is yet available, are there tools for converting chunks of content, e.g., quizzes, forums, resources, etc. ? 
Anything to minimize copying and pasting or uploading individual documents!
Best regards,
Lane
In reply to Lane Grann-Stahl

Re: Blackboard to Moodle Conversions - for Bb6+

by Michael Penney -
Hi Lane, here at Cal State, Humboldt, we built a BB 6 quiz pool importer that pulls in quiz questions.

We are currently using SFSU's present, Java based converter, though courses still need a good deal of work. We have a part time student assisstant who has converted about 300 of our HSU courses over the past month or so using the SFSU tool (which was pretty easy to install). Then the courses need some work as the tool has some problems with labels and some other content, and it's present interface is time consuming to use.

Other things we are doing is compressing powerpoints and other files as we go, and merging some collections of BB resources into Books or Lessons, which provides a cleaner content flow.

I have some links in the article I wrote here: http://cdc.humboldt.edu/moodle/mod/netpublish/view.php?id=39
In reply to Michael Penney

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Dear all:

Just a quick FYI. The SFSU Blackboard to Moodle Conversion Tool (originally done by Dina) is still up and running on one of our testing servers: http://welearn.sfsu.edu/ctt/ ). So far we are able to use this tool to convert fairly complex BB courses into Moodle, then use the most recent version of BB 6 quiz pool importer to pull in the quiz questions. We just lost two great student assistant programmers but when we have more man power we will continue to integrate these two tools to ensure better conversion. If anyone else is also working on this please let us know. Thanks!
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

by Dante Leon -
Wen,
I am joining this thread late and haven't seen much activity lately. I wanted to ask if the tool you mention will also convert Blackboard cartridges to the Moodle format.

Dante Leon
In reply to Dante Leon

by Kristy Rhea -
Dante,
Have you received any information about your post or have you found a tool that would do the conversion. If so I would be very interested in what you have learned.

Kristy Rhea
In reply to Kristy Rhea

by Dante Leon -
Kristy,
Sorry about my delay in responding, I was out of the office and just came back Monday.

I haven't gotten any feedback from my post. I am still interested in finding a Blackboard cartridge conversion tool though, but since my last post it has become less of a pressing issue for us. Some textbook publishers have started to develop content cartridges in Moodle, which is good news.

If I get any information I'll share with the forum.

Dante
In reply to Dante Leon

by Art Lader -

> Some textbook publishers have started
> to develop content cartridges in Moodle,
> which is good news.

Say, that really is nice to hear, Dante. smile

Do you think you might post a little more about that?

Thanks,
Art
In reply to Lane Grann-Stahl

by Bob Puffer -
The work that Michael Penney's group has done in quiz conversion appears to me to lead the way in that area.  I'm uncertain of the tool he's using for course data conversion as we always used the tool we developed for our conversions (BB 5.5 -> Moodle 1.4) which is now part of the Moodle core.  We're are not currently engaged in any further work on the conversion tool, but I'm staying abreast of the direction and forwarding comments like yours and Shalin's above to people I know who are also interested in a tool for BB 6.x -> Moodle 1.5x.  They may choose to engage in this forum, contact you directly or utilize outside resources to accomplish their objective.  Sorry I haven't got any additional help on this at this time.
In reply to Bob Puffer

by Bob Puffer -

I've just tested our conversion utility on a course created from a Blackboard course cartridge (7.5 MB export) and didn't come across any immediately noticeable errors.  Except for some minor tweaks, we're pretty much calling it a wrap and moving onto integrating quizzes into the conversion routine.

1. Current iteration converts Blackboard 5.5 (and some Blackboard 6.x) exported course information, course content, announcements, staff information,  assignments, external links and forum topics into Moodle topically oriented sections in a Moodle 1.4.1 course site.
  2. INTERFACE for the utility (if downloaded and installed on your system) will allow the operator to seamlessly "restore" a Blackboard export without any other steps just as though it were a Moodle course backup.

This is a project sponsored by Luther College in collaboration with The LinuxboxAdditional forum discussion is available on the Moodle.org topic -- Backup and Restore

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Leonhard Küllinger -
Hi,
i am working in pilotproject of the austrian (not australian) government for elearning in secondary school. We are working with blackboard 5 since 3 years and want to change with 9 schools to moodle next summer. Can you tell me how serious your importmodul works? This is a great argument pro moodle in our projectdiscussion. On the BB-server in vienna are 6000 useraccounts. So there is a lot of money in the license.

nice greetings from mounty austria

power on moodle and moodle becomes STRONG

In reply to Leonhard Küllinger

by Bob Puffer -
Leonhard,
We are planning on using the conversion module (in essentially its current iteration) to convert our BB 5.5 courses beginning shortly before January.  I would encourage you to hit the links noted previously in my postings and try it out for yourself.  The links refer to source and instructions.  When installed on Moodle it causes Moodle to transparently see our BB export as a Moodle backup file and allows you to restore it to a new course.  Issues left to be resolved after using this tool effectively include:
  1. Quizzes (our tool doesn't deal with these, we're looking at the issue presently)
  2. Doesn't import forum threads, just topics
  3. Doesn't import any user information, just course info so the instructor doesn't need to recreate from scratch in Moodle.
  4. We haven't done our work in Course Settings yet (minor) since it's been a back-burner issue.
Good fortune to you,
Bob Puffer