New Version in CVS

New Version in CVS

by Mike Churchward -
Number of replies: 15
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I've released a new (beta) version to CVS. This one has full group implementation (according to the group / type matrix) for student and group wikis. Teacher wikis still don't have group implementations (that is a little more complex and will take more time).

Please feel free to install and test this version.

Michael is working on implementing the HTML editor into the module. That will likely be the next feature addition.

mike

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Churchward

Re: New Version in CVS

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Great Mike!

Does the database update work already so we can test it in real life?

In reply to koen roggemans

by Mike Churchward -

The database should update itself properly.

This is still in development, so I'd exercise caution in 'real-life' uses. But please, give it a shake out.

mike

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

2 weeks holyday triest, but that means time for the ewiki-default translation (halfway there).

Since there isn't a gradepossibility yet, it can already be used for less important (from the students point of view) exercices.

I think for backup purposes an SQL-backup will do since wiki is completely database-driven (may be an exception for the images ?) Am I right ?

by Michael Schneider -
The images are also stored in the database. I am not sure if I am happy about that...

What do you think about grading ? It is difficult to measure an individual contribution in a wiki. We could use grading for group and userwikis...?
In reply to Michael Schneider

by Ger Tielemans -

Mike and Michael, I must say that I like the last version of the Wiki, with the wiki-menu on the left, very very much. I first wondered about the clean view, then realised that the normal menu on the left was gone. But rethinking this I think that it is a nice and elegant descision: Wiki is a little bit a different kind of sport then the rest of Moodle. The changing of the menu on the left is for the user the hint that the functionality changes:

• You enter pages that are not only from your own (in group and course setting)
  • You get extra options like the version control and the CamelBackFunction for hyperlinks to new created pages.
  • You as user/owner can attach binary files on every page. (Should these go in the database? IF you can change it then the moodledata area would be better. They only should be locked for write and delete...) 

Personal grading? not possible, only in the privat WIKI, so should the functionality be available there? Should we develop a kind of group-grading and then let themselves divide the difference in points under the participants?

What I also like is that the grey words are also available inside each wiki page, fun!

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by koen roggemans -

True about the grading. Do the diffs give any solution about the amount/quality of work an individual student has put in the Wiki? I have no idea how that works/is stored in the database.

I also agree with Ger that storing the images in the moodledatafolder would be a better sollution if possible, for serverload purposes.

by Mike Churchward -

I'm not sure I like the binary implementation at all... It kind of goes around Moodle. We really want to use the image and file functions on Moodle.

If we can get the HTML editor working, that would handle the image issue. Is there a reason to have other binary uploads at this point?

I'm really not sure how to tackle grading...

mike

by Ger Tielemans -
Binaries? DO you just mean the storage of files inside the database? Kill that

Or... do you also mean the possibilty to upload attachements?

I think that that is very important if we want to use the wiki for student workspaces and/or personal portfolio, but please create a datadir for wiki outside the reach of the user!! So outside the resources area of a course: the mechanism of wiki keeps record of attached files, if a user can remove these by hand... blauw oog

(Of course can the admin reach the server with products like winscp3) 

by W Page -
Hello!

I think grading should be possible for individual wiki (If a student has an ongoing work which needs changing from time to time) or a group work. 

WP1

by koen roggemans -

ewiki default translated to dutch (and  will be in CVS as soon as I get it to work againblauw oog )

you can mail the intial content folder to the erfurt guys, they might like itcool.

by Michael Schneider -
Thank you very much... I will mail the contents in your name to the ewiki-people and  I am sure they will be happy. Just check it in whenever your CVS works again (good luck smile )...

by koen roggemans -

started all over, trown winCVS away and changed it for tortoiseCVS, all checkouts away... and redone

Now it looks a lot better grijns Glad I switched the software.

The new version without the minus sign works in translation. I hope someone informed you about that ...  it must have been a hell to find.

Thank you (and Mike) for keeping up the good work on this great module!

I'll add the Dutch files here (easyer than pick it out CVS)

by Michael Schneider -
Yow, that was a nasty one.
Minor feture enhancements:
- Searched words are hilighted
- Page information offers a (rather dumb) diff

Major feature: The editor works. I needed to operate deep inside ewiki itself for that and I hope I have not broken anything else.

There are now 3 different HTML Types: No HTML, safe html (as always) and HTML Only in which you can use the editor. It does some translations in this 3th type, but not all (especially, the editor translates all wiki-notation to html, except WikiLinks). This separation was nessesary, because ewiki and the editor did not play together clean and nicely (theoretically and practically smile )

I hope you like it and I am open to fix bugs asap.

The small print: Database has changed -> Delete and Reinstall Wiki .. .Sorry bout that....

Mike: Do you have a look at grading ? I will take the binary contents out of the database.

by Mike Churchward -

I had a feeling that implementing the editor wasn't going to be a simple task... thoughtfulwide eyes 
Glad you could do it. Can't wait to try it!

For the database, take a look at the "mysql.php" script in '/db'. What you can do is make any data table changes in there and tie it to a new version that you set in "/version.php". That way, it'll update automatically for everyone.

I haven't really looked at grading yet, no.

mike

by Mike Churchward -
Michael! You da man!!

That is brilliant!!! Great work!!

I updated the version number and put a new 'mysql.php' file to automatically update the data tables for your new changes.

mike