uploaded assignments not showing up in version 1.8

uploaded assignments not showing up in version 1.8

by Will Taylor -
Number of replies: 29
After upgrading to version 1.8 (just updated to latest as of this evening, 3.april, in case a fix was already there),
uploaded assignments (upload single file option) are not showing where they need to -
with some uploads present, the
"view 0 submitted assignments" link still reads 0;
on the Assignment > Submissions page, the uploaded files do not show up in the "Last Modified (student)" space
However, if the "Grade" link is clicked to open up the grading window, the link to the uploaded file does appear in that window, and the file can be opened from here.

(all had been working fine with version 1.7+, prior to upgrading to 1.8)

Anyone else seeing this? Is a fix around the corner?

thanks,
will

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Will Taylor

Re: uploaded assignments not showing up in version 1.8

by Will Taylor -
Submitted this to the issue tracker this morning, & it's already been fixed!
Committed to latest release.
What a team.
- will
In reply to Will Taylor

by mo ollek -
I am having the same problem - I have found that if they upload the same assignment a second time, it shows up -- obviously not a fix.

- mo ollek
In reply to mo ollek

by Will Taylor -
Have you updated the file
moodle/mod/assignment/type/uploadsingle/assignment.class.php
to its latest version? (Thu Apr 5 03:25:27 2007 UTC)
- see
http://moodle.cvs.sourceforge.net/moodle/moodle/mod/assignment/type/uploadsingle/assignment.class.php
or the latest stable build.

This corrects the problem completely for me - first uploads show fine.

- will
In reply to Will Taylor

by Will Taylor -
Also, I've been playing with the "Advanced Uploading of Files" assignment type in 1.8 - silly me for not discovering it earlier. It can be restricted to a single file upload if you wish, & is highly configurable to create simple or more complex upload assignment types. The "Upload a single file" assignment type is simpler to set up if it does all that you need, by a few clicks & keystrokes. I suspect that I may end up using the "Advanced Uploading of Files" assignment type in the future for most of my needs here - single file assignments, multiple uploads, files + notes uploads, &c. - you might want to check it out.
In reply to Will Taylor

by Lynne McCulloch -

I was using the 'Advanced Uploading of Files' with few problems in 1.7.  However, we have just upgraded to 1.8 and I'm finding that, when setting this type of assignment, a teacher is unable to upload a file for students to work on.

When this type of assignment was introduced in 1.7, one of the key uses was for a teacher to be able to differentiate work by uploading different files for students of different abilities to work on.

Any ideas as to how we can get this feature working in 1.8, please?  mixed

In reply to Will Taylor

by David Juniper -

I have just upgraded to version 1.8, and I also cannot view uploaded assignments. All uploaded assignments, wether txt or image files, cannot be viewed by either the student himself or the teacher. I have done all the recommended fixes already posted including updating the assignment.class.php file, but the problem persists.

I have tried uploading assignments using IE 7 and Firefox 2.0, but to no avail. I encountered the same problem in version 1.7.

Please help! Thanks!!

David

ps. When clicking on the assignment link on the Assignment page, I get the "404: the webpage cannot be found" error message.

In reply to David Juniper

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Just to be sure, which assignment type are you using?
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by David Juniper -

The assignment type I am using is "Upload a single file". I tried uploading a txt file, a word document and a jpg image, all with the same result...

David

ps. the moodle install can be found at www.eduglobe.net/elearn

by Jeff Wood -
I too have the same problem with the upload a single file. The user is able to submit it but it isn't indicated to the teacher.

version 1.8 (2007021501)

Jeff

by Magnus Larsson -
Hi!

I have the same problem, updated my 1.8-installation a few days ago. Two out of three uploaded assignments are visible, but not the third....

Magnus L
In reply to Magnus Larsson

by Mike Lee -
Hello all. I ran into this problem as well but there is a solution. I am working with the code that Humboldt State is using and found that their version of upload was working. I did a diff and found this at line 141:

$newsubmission->timemodified = time();

this solved the problem for me and I'm guessing for Humboldt too.

This is for moodle 1.8. Hope this is helpful.
In reply to Mike Lee

by Magnus Larsson -
Hi!

I guess you mean upload.php. Mine is just 40 lines long, not 141. And do you mean that that string was entirely missing in your version, or was it just different?

Magnus L
In reply to Magnus Larsson

by Richard Haywood -
I think he means /mod/assignment/type/uploadsingle/assignment.class.php
In reply to Mike Lee

by David Juniper -
I am afraid I don't understand Mike's solution. Does he mean I should add the line

$newsubmission->timemodified = time();

to the assigment.class.php file at line 141, or should I delete the present line 141 and replace it with this line?

Right now my line 141 reads,

$struploadafile = get_string('uploadafile');

Thanks!!

David

ps. This problem seems to expand into other areas of Moodle as well. I cannot upload a picture as part of my profile and I cannot use the 'directory' resource as i cannot create folders and upload files that can be viewed by the students.

by Mike Lee -
Sorry for the confusion. I am working with the mod/assignment/type/uploadsingle/assignment.class.php as Richard had stated. As for the line $newsubmission->timemodified = time(); it was added to the file at line 141. I tested the code with and without the line. With, it works, without, it doesn't. I hope this clears things up.
In reply to Mike Lee

by Russell Curr -
HI Mike, I have struck this problem also, but I checked and I have this script in line 141 of my version. The symptom is that uploaded files cant be viewed by either the course creator/admin/or teacher. Many of these items were uploaded before we upgraded 2 days ago (May 2) and were visible then. Could there be another cause, or has anyone else found a work around ?
In reply to Russell Curr

by Russell Curr -
By way of further explanation: when viewing uploaded assignments, if I click the status link to sort the uploads, all uploads appear to vanish. I can only restore them by logging out and then back in again. Have replicated this several times today. We are using Moodle 1.8
In reply to Russell Curr

by Marcelo Minholi -
I'm having the same problem. My moodle instance was upgraded from 1.7 series to 1.8 recently and there is a lot of submissions on various courses that are not showed up anymore.

And by the way, I just upgraded to 1.8+ yesterday and aparently nothing occurs, the problem continues.
In reply to Marcelo Minholi

by Jared Stein -
We are on a 1.8 fresh install and are having the same problem. Surprisingly, there are a handful of submissions which do show up just fine, but a large number of assignments that have been properly uploaded by students, are still visible as having been uploaded to those students, but are completely missing from the instructor's view of the submissions.

We have also seen that if uploaded a second time, it works.

Also, I have added new line to 141 as described above with no results, either on existing or on new uploads.

Here are some additional minor observations:
Looking at the same student's activity log, it does not show that they have accessed the assignment tool. However, it will show activity after they have completed a second (redundant) upload.

In the activity logs I do see the word Grade: - with no submission date on those assignments that have been uploaded once, but not twice.
In reply to Jared Stein

by Jared Stein -
Here's a screenshot of what I see when accessing a student's activity log:
Short Answer Assignment 11 has not been submitted.
Short Answer Assignment 12 has been submitted, but is not visible to instructors (Note the phantom "Grade:-")
Short Answer Assignment 13 has been submitted twice, and is thus visible to instructors.

submitted.jpg
In reply to Jared Stein

by Jared Stein -
Anyone happen upon any solutions for this yet? I can't seem to discover any workarounds...
In reply to Jared Stein

by Greg Jeffrey -

Hi - I too have just come up against this problem (ver 1.8).  I created 2 assignments and for one 14 of 21 submissions showed and for the other 4 out of 14.  When I click grade and then next-next-next I can see them and grade them.  The grade, comment and 'last modified (teacher)' columns then appear on the summary page correctly but there is still nothing showing in the 'last modified (student)' column for the missing assignments.  On the assignments summary page it still shows the wrong number under 'view *** submitted assignments'.

When I 'login as' a student the 'Grades' look ok and they can see the work they have handed in.  BUT the teacher's grade record remains incorrect.

Greg

In reply to Jared Stein

by Jared Stein -
I had our developer clean out a custom Moodle mod that we had installed. Now that the database and our PHP files are clean this Assignment bug seems to have mostly disappeared!

The one remaining bug that I'm seeing now is that when one views the activity log of a student the submission looks the same as mentioned above for "submitted once". But going straight into the assignment shows the submission for each student, even if they've only submitted it once. Joy!

So if you've had this problem I'd recommend clearing out any custom mods on your 1.8 box.
In reply to Jared Stein

by David Berry -
We have just encountered this problem - some assignments not appearing to the teachers when they have definitely been uploaded. Since we host our own Moodle the database is open to us so does anyone know the relevant SQL tables to look at so that I can see any obvious differences?

Thanks

Dave Berry
In reply to David Berry

by vidya Kulkarni -

Sorry. This is not a reply to your question. But I am answering it as I am having a problem in increasing the size of files to be uploaded. Default max file size in course settings is 1000 bytes which I am not able to modify. I am new to Moodle and have installed version 1.8. I have tried changing php.ini as follows:

_max_filesize = 100M 
post_max_size = 100M 

max_execution_time = 600

but it does not change the uploadfile size in settings of the course. Without increasing this file size I can not do anything.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

In reply to vidya Kulkarni

by Kiril Ilarionov -
Are there details, as:

1) hardware;

2) OS version;

3) httpd server version;

4) PHP version;

5) Moodle version?

In reply to Will Taylor

by Barbara Jean Walsh -
I have a new clean copy of 1.8. Uploaded assignments show up for me as admin, but not for the instructor. And even I see that ZERO assignments have been uploaded, but when I click on the link and go to my student list and click on GRADE, the work is there.