RegExp questions not saving

RegExp questions not saving

by Philip Norton -
Number of replies: 5
Hi Joseph,

I am having a problem with your regexp questions. They do not seem to be saved when moving from one page of the quiz to the next, or when a person presses "Save without submitting". In fact, only the last page of regexp questions attempted can be submitted.

I am using Moodle 1.7.1+ with your most recent distribution (Feb '07)?

Is it a problem with my setup perhaps? I can say that all other questions are saved when moving from one screen to the other.

The workaround I'm using is to have all questions on one page.

Sincerely,

Philip

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Philip Norton

Re: RegExp questions not saving

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Philip,
I don't understand why you should have this problem with quizzes including REGEXP questions. Do you have a quiz made only of REGEXP questions? If you try a quiz made of various types of questions, including some REGEXP, do you have the same problem? When you say that REGEXP questions "do not seem to be saved when moving from one page of the quiz to the next" do you mean you are sure they are not saved and subsequently cannot be viewed by the teacher in Results mode?
Could you let me have a sample of one of your quizzes which has this "not saving" problem so I can study it (either post it here or send it to me privately, my e-mail address is in my profile)?
Joseph
PS.- I am currently busy creating a version of the REGEXP question type compatible with Moodle 1.8. Are you thinking of upgrading to 1.8 any time soon?
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Philip Norton -
Hi Joseph,

Thank you for your response and my apologies for the delay in responding to your questions.

Let me attempt to clarify: the regexp questions are not saved while a pupil is taking a test. The pupil enters in the answers to the questions on a page (which had some short answers and some m/choice -- both of which "saved"). Pupil then moves to page 2 of the quiz and continues. If the pupil moves back to page 1, the regexp answers are not there, although the other answers are.

I have just done a test now where the user saves the answers and then submits the quiz. I notice that the "save" is recorded, but as you can see from the screencap below, the answer block is not filled with the saved answer.

I have a suspicion that as long as a page is not revisited, the answers will "stick".

sad

Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

With regards to upgrading to 1.8 -- this is a production site, so I'd like to wait a little while before leaping head-long into 1.8.

Many thanks for your help!

Philip
Attachment regexp1.JPG
In reply to Philip Norton

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Philip,
Please upgrade to VERSION 2.1 APRIL 2007 and report back. Go to Modules and plugins, Question Type: Regular Expression Short Answer, select Download for Moodle 1.7.
Joseph

by Philip Norton -
Thank you, Joseph.

You have no idea how much I appreciate your attention to this matter. I shall report back as soon as I can. I find the regexp to be a most useful question type and would really struggle to perform meaningful testing (especially for Java statements, for example) without it.

Sincerely,

Philip

by Philip Norton -
Success! Thank you Joseph. The issue seems to have disappeared. Again, many thanks for your fantastic work.

Philip