Turnitin on moodle 1.8

Turnitin on moodle 1.8

by Michael Tudor -
Number of replies: 68

Has anyone got Turnitin working with moodle 1.8 yet? I am currently running the latest version of the integration I could download (1.0.5)

I've just upgraded my test server from 1.6 to 1.8 and everything seems to work except for Turnitin. I get the following error

"Assignment does not exist in Turnitin database for this class. The assignment may have been deleted"

Turnitin error

The error actaully makes sense because when I make a new assignment it doesnt actaully go off to the turnitin site like normal.

Here's a link to the turnitin 1.0.5 integration: - http://rapidshare.com/files/24197209/tiimoodle_plugin.zip

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Tudor

Re: Turnitin on moodle 1.8

by Michael Tudor -

Here's some more information on the error I'm getting, I've recorded 3 movie screen captures to show the full problem. It just doesnt even go off to the turn-it-in website like it used to.

moodle 1.6 -  Live Server http://moodle.pihms.ac.nz

http://rapidshare.com/files/24232522/Moodle16.rar (1870kb)

moodle 1.8 - Test Server http://moodletest.pihms.ac.nz

http://rapidshare.com/files/24232464/Make_Assignment.rar (1334kb)

http://rapidshare.com/files/24232491/Integration_Error.rar (474kb)

by Neil Eliot -

Hi,

I released the 1.0.5 about two weeks ago to TurnItIn, There was an issue with some field changes in the database that effected how I had written the interface, That corrected the issue for 1.7 and made it backwardly compatable (1.5,1.6), there is a change from 1.7 to 1.8 in the way screens are generated in moodle which happens to be where the integration was intercepting moodle I'm just about to start the version 1.8 development of the interface this week.

Neil

In reply to Neil Eliot

by Michael Tudor -
If you want any help in testing it out let me know, I can chuck it on my test server in no time and give it a wirl.
In reply to Neil Eliot

by Ann Adamcik -
Hi,

Do you have a timeline yet for the Turnitin integration on Moodle 1.8?

Thanks!
-Ann
In reply to Neil Eliot

by Neil Eliot -

Hi,

I have today been given the green light on deep integration of TurnItIn, the new structure of the assignment framework provoked this, the issue now though is who is the best person to talk to about getting the deep integration into the core of moodle so it works throughout the system. Any pointers would be good, I know of one person on the forms actively looking at integration Dan Marsden, this is a great starting point the next step is to see if Moodle will take the integration into the core and who could help work on this.

In reply to Neil Eliot

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Since Turnitin.com is a paid subscription, it seems unlikely to me that the TII code would be put in core; however, it strikes me as more of an integration that could be maintained and offered to those who have it. I remain most interested in seeing this developed since our school does utilize TII and the integration would likely allow the subscription to be used a great deal more via Moodle. I would be happy to try and test code and report any problems. Peace.
In reply to Neil Eliot

by Michael Tudor -

Sounds good, I know TII isnt a free service so maybe not everyone will be using, but I do see it as a service that more and more people will use. We've been using for a couple of years now I think (I've only been here a year) and every assignment is submitted through TII. Since I installed the integration into moodle the lectures really like it. So much so that I'm not really allowed to upgrade to 1.8 just yet smile

Anyway, I'm not a coder so I cant really help with much along those lines, but I can help you test it out on various versions of moodle. We run most of our servers as virtual machines and I have a few test virtual servers, so its realitively easy for me to test things out.

On a side note I just upgraded to TII integration 1.06 which works fine in moodle 1.6, still doesnt work with 1.8 but I guess that the point of this update was for security smile

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Michael,

yup - the 1.0.6 version was purely a security update - good to see you've upgraded! - I'm keen to work with Neil to get this into Core - I've done some initial work that I will probably put in contrib CVS

smile

Dan

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Just curious, Neil and Dan, is either one of you working for iParadigm right now as a contractor? Do you know David Wu, who is the programming manager @ iParadigm and is monitoring the Google group called "http://groups.google.com/group/Turnitin-Moodle-Integration" ??

Again we will be interested to help out testing the new plugin for Moodle 1.8. Currently we are looking into a short-term work-around too just so that we could upgrade to Moodle 1.8 in June and our instructors could continue to use TII in moodle 1.8. If anyone has any work-around already please let us know, thanks! smile
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

by Neil Eliot -
Hi Wen,

I work for Northumbria Learning, the UK reseller for TurnItIn, I correspond regularly with David Wu on many plagiarism issues and we worked together to produce the Moodle interface, in fact he enjoyed a trip over to the UK to finish off some of the work prior to release, we intend to do the same (if possible) for the next one.

Neil
In reply to Neil Eliot

by Paolo Oprandi -
Still can't find this plugin. The rapid share link above does not work. Can anyone link to it or put it in the mods and plugins area?
Thanks,
Paolo
In reply to Paolo Oprandi

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Paolo,

just having the plugin isn't enough to make it work with turnitin - you need to get your account "activated" to be allowed to use the API, and turnitin need to provide you with a "secret key" so that you can use it..... - I'd suggest flicking an e-mail to turnitin support - it's likely that you can't find it because it hasn't been enabled in your account..

Note: - enabling it should be free - they have an "optional" support fee which you do not have to pay.

good luck!

smile

Dan

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Tim Allen -
Hi Dan and others,

I am building a Moodle site for Macquarie Uni here in Sydney, and we use turnitin a lot. I contacted turnitin directly about getting the plugin for 1.7 (1.8 is not available yet, right?), and they told me to contact our local account admin, which I did.

She contacted turnitin and was again told by them to contact the turnitin liaison rep for Australia! I have not heard back from anyone since then.

We have been waiting 3 weeks and still seem to be getting nowhere. I had expected this to be much more routine process. How long did it take you and others to get access to the plugin and set it up? Did you go through the same procedure/channels that I have been following?

TIA,
Tim.
In reply to Tim Allen

by Dan Marsden -

Hi Tim,

I had similar issues myself and sent a "terse" e-mail to the Turnitin.com US helpdesk - I got a response within a day by someone who actually did the work in the US. - I'd suggest sending an e-mail detailing the people you have talked to and how long it has taken, and "hope" that it gets escalated internally. - If not contact me offline and I'll give you a few addresses of people who might by able to help!

good luck!

smile

Dan

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Claudia Palazzi -

I contacted Turnitin UK and got a quick response. And a similar response came from the iParadigms person (I understand they are the developers of the plugin) on the Moodle Turnitin Google.com group, where I had been added by the Turnitin people after my first inquiry. It says:

"As you may have discovered, the Turnitin integration currently is not compatible with Moodle 1.8. We are working on a solution, and we'll do our best to keep everyone updated as soon as we have some progress on it."
On the same group they say that it has been tested and it should work on 1.7.
Too bad it took us 2 weeks to discover it!! And our teachers don't want to use the Turnitin site, they are used to Moodle and don't see why they should use two sites. So I hope they will come with a solution in summer. (But it will not help you down under..)
In reply to Claudia Palazzi

by Roger Emery -

Yes it works on 1.70

But NOT on 1.72
Northumbria have confirmed its an issue at their end, not ours, so we wait too.

In reply to Roger Emery

by Neil Eliot -

Hi Roger,

We've finished testing the interface on 1.7.2 on our dev servers and it works fine, it must be something has changed with your upgrade, we'll contact you as soon as possible.

Cheers

Neil

In reply to Neil Eliot

Turnitin: three serious questions

by Ger Tielemans -

Three serious questions about detection:

1. Can I already use Turnitin for plagiarism on (or how powerfull is your pattern matching):

• Freemind mindmaps as home assignments,
  • stolen YouTube student video productions,
  • audio productions for the languages,
  • excel assignments,
  • technical drafts,
  • working together in a randomized Moodle quiz (scrambled pattern matching?) 

2. What is the added value of turnitin  compared with a teacher who is feeding Google with three copied sentences from a student's homework.

3. How does Turnitin cope with essay-malls and other rich resources, not open for internet searches.

(I see the advantages of using Turnitin as an automated tool for students to help them improving their writing skills, by comparing thier products with referent drafts, but that is not the reason why some teachers ask for the tool).

In reply to Ger Tielemans

Re: Turnitin: three serious questions

by Michael Tudor -
1) Seems to work well, or at least our teachers swear by it. I don't really think it can scan a video or audio file for content, you might be expecting a bit much there. As far as I'm aware it handles most office formats.

2) It's a whole lot quicker and easier and it will show you what parts are copied and the overall percentage that is copied

3) It has a massive database that contains pretty much every assignment that has been submitted to it, sure the first person to submit a given essay might get away with it, but the next person with that essay will get caught.

I'm not a teacher so I cant really go into details, but I get the impression from the lecturers here that it works and it works well. The main form of cheating we had was people using assignments from the previous years students, turn it in stops this out right.

On a side note, is there any update on when the new version of the integration will be released for 1.8 and 1.9?
In reply to Neil Eliot

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Hi Neil any update about the "deeper integration" of TII with moodle? I heard from David Wu that a beta will be releasing soon, is this true? Thanks!
In reply to Neil Eliot

by Matt Lingard -
Hi there,
Like Ann I'd be very keen to hear more on the likely timetable for 1.8 integration as we are implementing Moodle 1.8 this summer for the next academic year. Although Moodle integration is not crucial it would be a nice extra!

I'm very interested in the deeper integration that I've seen mentioned for Moodle 1.9 & Turnitin that allows the use of a Moodle assignment and background submission to Turnitin, and look forward to that.

Couple of quick questions:
  1. Is the Turnitin integration compatible with TurnitinUK?
  2. Where are these integrations? I can't find them in the Plugins and Modules database
Many thanks,
Matt
In reply to Matt Lingard

by Dan Marsden -

Hi Matt,

the Moodle integration developed by Northumbria Learning and Turnitin is available in your Turnitin Control panel when logged in as admin (If you have requested it!) - so you need to send an e-mail to your account rep who will activate the download and give you an account ID and secret Key to enter into the file so you can use the system.

The "deep integration" I am working on isn't quite ready for normal use - it still needs a few bugs ironed out, and needs to be tidied up. - when I have a working version of the code, I will post it in the modules and Plugins database with a link to the download!

thanks!

smile

Dan

by Neil Eliot -
Hi,

The deep integration is going to take a little while longer to sort out some of the fine grain components of the XML so in the mean time to help users migrate we have adapted the 1.7 interface, It is now at the alpha stage (with full functionality) and is being tested internally.

Neil
In reply to Neil Eliot

by Michael Tudor -
Sounds good Neil, the lecturers and staff here are now used to the turnitin module and It's not fairly much a requirement for moodle so I really appreciate all your work smile

Is the adapted interface for moodle 1.8 only or for 1.9 as well? Will the new deep integration work with the new group structure in moodle, so that an assingment can be submitted for a group rather than just an individual?

by Neil Eliot -
Hi,

Its 1.8 and 1.9 and after our internal testing works fine on both.

Neil
In reply to Neil Eliot

by Anthony Borrow -
Neil - I have yet to get tii working. I am running 1.8+ with the latest 2.00 code from the tii.com website. I have configured my lib.php but all I get is the attached screenshot. The page has the following HTML code. Any advice would be helpful. I would like to get a version working (either 1.8 or 1.9). Any suggestions?

I have tried the AID with and without single quotes with our account number - #####

I have tried the shared key and the join key

I have tried the dispatcher page as /mod/assignment/type/turnitin/ws/dispatcher.php, mod/assignment/type/turnitin/ws/dispatcher.php, http://moodle.jesuitcp.org/mod/assignment/type/turnitin/ws/dispatcher.php

I have verified the ip of our server at netcraft.net and made sure that was input on the tii.com website.

I have tried just about every conceivable combination of the above. So I am at a loss. I am reasonably certain from the pdf file that our lib file should read:

define("TII_AID",#####);
define("TII_SHAREDKEY",'sharekey');
define("TII_WEBSERVICEURL",'http://moodle.jesuitcp.org/mod/assignment/type/turnitin/ws/dispatcher.php');

and our IP is:216.138.113.183

The course I am working from is a metacourse - is that problematic? I am sticking with simple names but I forget all of the bugs that folks were experiencing. I feel like i am missing something obvious but I have been frustrated with getting the interface to work for quite a while. Any assistance or ideas would be appreciated.

Peace - Anthony

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Frameset//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-frameset.dtd"> <html dir="ltr">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
<title>124-Borrow(2S): 124 Prayer and Sacraments-Borrow (Spring)</title>
</head>
<frameset rows="130,*">
<frame src="http://moodle.jesuitcp.org/mod/assignment/type/turnitin/create.php?mdl_add=assignment&mdl_course=1564&mdl_name=TIITest&frameset=top" />
<frame src="http://moodle.jesuitcp.org/mod/assignment/type/turnitin/create.php?frameset=bottom" /></frameset>
</html>

Attachment Clipboard02.jpg
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Michael Tudor -
I've just tried the new version and it still doesn't work :?

I've had a little trouble upgrading my test box to 1.8 so I havent been able to try the 2.0 integration but I've been trying the 1.07 TII integration with both moodle 1.72 and moodle 1.62 and I get this error message

Error

There was an error processing your request.
Please go back or return to the login page.I have been unable to get the 1.07 integration working on either my live or my test systems, it appears to be broken. I find it strange that it wont even work on my live system and I had to downgrade to the previous version to fix it.

Anyway, I'll see if I can get moodle 1.82 working correctly on my test system and then I can try version 2.0

by Anthony Borrow -
Michael - You are not alone. I never did get any version to work with Moodle 1.6. I've tried 2.0 with Moodle 1.8 and I did not have any luck.I'd be willing to try the deep integration with Moodle 1.9 but before I try something more experimental it would be good to know that a working version exists. Peace - Anthony

by Michael Tudor -
The weird part is that all the previous versions of the integration worked fine on 1.6

It's the start of the new semester here now, so I'll have to hold off any upgrades for a while until things settle down here.

by Neil Eliot -
HI,

We now have a Moodle 1.8 Interface working and would like a user to test it on a dev box, the user must be a turnitinuk customer. We have setup a development login within the development turnitin environment so it wont effect your live submissions or your live account in any way.

Cheers

Neil
In reply to Neil Eliot

by Anthony Borrow -
Neil - I have a development server with both 1.8 and 1.9 running on it. I would be happy to throw the new TII code in and give it a spin. Just let me know what functions you would like done. Peace - Anthony (aborrow@jesuitcp.org).

p.s. - Just saw turnitinuk - we are a TII customer; however, we are in the U.S. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

by Michael Tudor -
Sign me up mate smile If you can email me the details to michaelt@pihms.ac.nz

Many thanks on this, I'll fire up my 1.8 test server now (what version of 1.8 are you using? The latest? stable release?

by Steven Geggie -
Have you been able to get this working?
In reply to Steven Geggie

by Anthony Borrow -
I have yet to experience a working version of the TII code. I'll keep my fingers crossed as I believe this would be used more by teachers if it were easier to do so. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Neil Eliot

by Steven Geggie -
Neil,

Do you have a Moodle 1.8 interface working for U.S. Turnitin customers?
I downloaded the code, but I'm concerned about upgrading until there is confidence that the bugs have been worked out.

Steve
In reply to Steven Geggie

by vidya Kulkarni -

Hello,

Though the question is not for me, I just want to say that I have installed Moodle 1.8 and created two courses, however, I am struggling to increase the upload file size from default 1000 bytes to any larger size. I have posted this question several times and also got replies but nothing has worked out. Is this a bug in Moodle 1.8. I would like to know is there any one using Moodle 1.8 and if so how did they increase upload file size.

V.Kulkarni 

In reply to vidya Kulkarni

by Anthony Borrow -
Could you describe in a step by step way what you have tried to increase file upload size? I would start by looking at your php.ini and see what the max file upload size, then going into Moodle and seeing what the max file upload size is across the site, then to the course settings, and then finally to the assignment. From there we should be able to troubleshoot what is happening in your case. Peace - Anthony

Re: Increasing Upload file size on moodle 1.8

by vidya Kulkarni -

Hello Mr.Anthony,
Thanks for responding to my message.

I am writing all the steps taken by me to install Moodle 1.8 and then steps taken to increase the "upload file size". These are as follows:

I had downloaded complete moodle software 1.8 (containing Apache2, PHP and MySQL) and had installed on my personal computer at home at port 8080. So I use http://localhost:8080/.     Operating  system used by me is Windows XP.
After installation, I created users-- admin, teacher and students all with my own name.I have also created courses and wanted to add lessons and assignments. For this I have created files on my hard disk of sizes more than 1000 bytes.

To login I do the following:
I click on xammp_restart and then log in as admin. I click on one of the course created by me. I "turn editing on". I click on "settings" under "administration".A screen "Edit Course Setting" appears. On the screen "course name appears" and also "Maximum Upload size" appears as 1000 bytes which can not be changed.

When I want to add a new activity "a new lesson", I can not upload a file of size more than 1000 bytes. Similarly I can not upload a file for assignment with more than 1000bytes.I get the error "Uploaded file exceeded the maximum size limit set by the form".

As suggested by many Moodle members, I made the following changes to my php.ini file, which appears in two folders
 in C:\moodle\apache\bin,  and     C:\moodle\php  

as follows:

; Maximum allowed size for uploaded files

upload_max_filesize = 100M

post_max_size = 100M

max_execution_time = 3000     ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
max_input_time = 6000 ; Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data
memory_limit = 40M    ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (40MB)

I restart the system by clicking xampp_restart but the above settings do not affect the upload file size of 1000bytes.

The procedure was repeated several times but upload size remains 1000 bytes only. In fact, I downloaded and reinstalled the software twice but without having any success in increasing upload file size.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
This code is elusive, where is the latest? Can someone add it to the modules database?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Roger Emery -
As far as I understand it, the plug-in code is only supplied to those who are TurnItIn customers - you download it from your account area.
In reply to Roger Emery

by Anthony Borrow -
That is correct - the code can be downloaded from the turnitin.com site when one has an account. I would be happy to throw the code onto the Moodle site under modules; however, we would need to be clear that the code will only be capable of working if the user has a TII account. The advantage to getting the code into contrib is that more moodle developers could look at the code and clean it up. Since Dan Mardsen is doing a lot of the work on this I would be curious as to his preference as to where to maintain files. Peace - Anthony

by Bryan Williams -
Anthony, if you could do this it would be most excellent. We've had problems supporting some of our clients in the past because TII seems to be a bit stand-offish in communicating with the developer and support community. Their code should be in contrib like everything else that works with Moodle IMO. It would promote them and Moodle - a real win win!

by Michael Tudor -
I'm not really sure you want the file uploaded too, so I'll post a link and you can put them where you want.

Integration version 1.07 (for moodle versions 1.7 and below)
http://rapidshare.com/files/47793692/tiimoodle_plugin.zip

Integration version 2.0 for (for moodle versions 1.8 and up)
http://rapidshare.com/files/47793967/tiimoodle18_plugin.zip

TII moodle Manual
http://rapidshare.com/files/47794272/tiimoodle_manual.pdf

These are the latest version downloaded from the site just now, but you cant test them unless you have a TurnItIn account, it may be possible to obtain a test account from TII for this.

by Anthony Borrow -
Michael - Thanks for sharing the links. I was thinking of adding the code to CVS contrib/plugins/TII. We could also list it among Modules and Plugins. Any objections, comments, suggestions? Peace - Anthony

by Michael Tudor -
At least now it will make it a bit easier for moodle devs to look at more support for TII.

Anyway, I finally got my new test server running moodle 1.8.2 (stable), I've installed the newest integration, but I get this error:

Error

There was an error processing your request.
Please go back or return to the login page.

Though I think I know what the problem is here, you see our moodle sites external address is http://moodle.pihms.ac.nz which was is the call back address set in the Lib.php, anyway my test servers address is http://moodletest.pihms.ac.nz which is also set in the lib.php file but my test server is not externally published so I figure that is probably the problem. So I'll get a external DNS name set up for my test server and hopefully it works smile

by Michael Tudor -
Well it finally all works now smile

I now have moodle 1.8.2 (stable) running with version 2.0 of the turnitin integration, now to upgrade the live server...

by Glenn Cross -
For some reason I can't seem to get this to talk to TII. I've installed the 2.0 mod and have everything set up correctly (as far as I can tell) and I'm running it on 1.8. The server name is exactly the same as the dns name so there is no issue there.

Here are the steps I take and what I see:
  • I go to create a new activity and select turnitin (which is nested under Assignment).
  • I then fill in the fields but there is a blank part of the table in the middle of the page labelled 'turnitin' (see attached).
  • I click ok and it takes me to another page with some turnitin options in a frame (after saying it is redirecting me to Turnitin). I select 'submit' and go with the defaults.

The page then tries to contact api.turnitin.com but that's where it fails and tells me it can't connect. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is there something wrong at my end?

cheers
Glenn
tii.jpgtii.jpg
Attachment tii.jpg
In reply to Glenn Cross

by Anthony Borrow -
Glenn - That has been my experience with TII - I've never been able to get it to work and AFAIK everything was configured correctly. At one point I actually had an older version connect to TII and create a user account for a teacher but other than that I have not had any luck with TII (Moodle 1.6, Moodle 1.8, and I have not had a chance to test 1.9 as the code really seemed out of date with what is in Moodle core so I am waiting on that to get brought up to date before attempting to test it). Peace - Anthony

by Michael Tudor -
I'm not quite sure what the problem is to get Turnitit in working is. Can you guys make sure that you dont have a firewall or something blocking access from TII to your moodle site.
Please note that the module is bi-directional in that moodle talks to turnitin and turnitin talks back to moodle. It's not enough that your moodle site has access to turnitin.com but turnitin also needs access back to your moodle site. I found this out when TII would never work on my test server because my test server was only set up for internal access and not external (worldwide) access.

Here's a screen shot of my configuration:

tiicp9.png

by Anthony Borrow -
Michael - I have not ruled out the very real possibility that it is a firewall issue and this would not be an uncommon experience at a school. Others have been able to get the code to work; however, I have not. I appreciate you attaching your TII config file for comparison. I now have a test site that I hope I might be able to use to see if that works any better. Could you describe in a little more detail how the TII server communicates back to one's Moodle server. In other words, what ports might I need to open up or check to make sure that traffic is able to flow both ways? Thanks - Anthony

by Michael Tudor -
I'm not actually sure what ports it uses for its communication I never had to get down to that level of configuring myself. What application are you using for you firewall/proxy server? I know in Microsoft ISA server you can open up a window and see what everything is trying to access, so you could then run turnitin and see what ports it is trying to access.

Find out exactly what firewall software is running.
1) Do you have a corporate firewall/proxy server?
2) Is a firewall running on the moodle server itself?

What type of OS is your moodle server on? If its on a MS windows OS then it will most likely have the local firewall enabled, err even if you turn it off the service still runs and sometimes blocks things anyway so you may need to turn the service off.

you could try using TCP view to monitor the incoming/outgoing ports: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Networking/TcpView.mspx

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi folks

We have just got Turnitin integration working with both Moodle 1.6.2+ and 1.8.2+ with the appropriate plugins from Turnitin UK cool

We are running on CentOS (RHEL clone) with PHP 5.1.6 (OpenSSL 0.9.7a enabled) and Apache 2.0.59, so may have avoided Windows-related/firewall issues.

The plugin(s) are installed in /mod/assignment/type/turnitin and the /turnitin folder is owned by the web server user (chown –R apache turnitin).

The configurable part of /turnitin/lib.php has been edited as:

define("TII_LOGGING",0);

define("TII_LOGGING_LOCATION","");

// CONFIGURABLE SECTION FOR SETUP

//====================================================================

define("TII_AID",9999);

define("TII_SHAREDKEY",'yoursharedkey');

define("TII_WEBSERVICEURL",'http://www.yourmoodle.ac.uk/moodle/mod/assignment/type/turnitin/ws/dispatcher.php');

//===================================================================

Where 9999 is the institution's Turnitin ID and http://www.yourmoodle.ac.uk/moodle/ is the Moodle address.

The Moodle 1.8.2+ integration worked 'out-of-the-box', once we had sorted out a few embarrasing typos in the configurable part of /turnitin/lib.php. So do double check those details wink. The pattern of quotes, double quotes, and no-quotes I have detailed above does work!

The Moodle 1.6.2+ integration required the addition of the line:

require_once($CFG->dirroot."/course/lib.php");

on dispatcher.php under the turnitin/ws directory, placed immediately above the line:

require_once($CFG->dirroot."/mod/assignment/lib.php");

We have had excellent support in setting this all up from David Wu via the TurnitinUK Helpdesk so if anyone continues to have problems I would suggest contacting the helpdesk. 

In reply to Geoffrey Rowland

by Mike Jackson -
I tried installing the plugin a year or so ago and had some trouble to gave up. It sounds as if people are getting it to work. Can anyone give me a brief overview of why I would want to install the integration? TIA.

by Edith Lin -

Dear all,

Except the rapidshare.com site, where can I get an integration version for moodle versions 1.7.2?

by Neil Eliot -

Hi All,

I am the main developer of the interface you are all currently using, the latest version is always available for donwload form the Turnitin site for subscribers.

I would like to see it become part of contrib or the core, can you provide details about how is this achieved?

I believe John Barrie (CEO of iParadigms) has been in touch to look at closer links with Moodle so perhaps this is already in hand.

In the meantime I am woking on deep integration with Moodle using XML RPC to provide a fucntional API for Moodle users/developers.

Anyone that has an issues/suggestions can post them to me here, or at my University email neil.eliot@unn.ac.uk

Cheers

Neil

P.S. (Back to the pool now I´m on holiday until teaching starts in October)

In reply to Neil Eliot

by Anthony Borrow -
Neil - Thanks for your work at integrating TII with Moodle. I have created a request in the CONTRIB tracker for MartinD to create CVS space for you to upload and maintain the code. If you are unfamiliar with CVS and would prefer that I handle uploading the code just let me know. Ideally, you would handle maintaining the code; however, I'm willing to help out if needed. Do you have a sourceforge account? If so, please comment on CONTRIB-72. Othewise, just let me know and we will make something happen. Peace - Anthony

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
On the off chance does the following screenshot mean anything to anybody? Moodle 1.8.2+ and Plugin 2.0.0.
Attachment Picture_3.png
In reply to Howard Miller

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Picture of Plugin developers

Just guessing - that the Moodle Course name (=class title?) is less than 5 characters, or has an 'unusual' character (' " ?) that Turnitin doesn't like.

Also check course short-name and enrolment key for being between 5 and 100 characters (+ no 'unusual' ones) just in case the error message is misleading.

by Timothy Takemoto -
It would be nice to see an open source plagiarism addon, for the assignment module and forums.

All it would need to do is go through taking blocks of x words, checking to see if there are any hits on google and reporting the urls of match strings.

by R S -

As this seems to be the main thread for discussing turnitin, just thought I should highlight the following posting:-

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=83338#p400794

If you are having problems with deleting turnitin assignments from within a moodle course (due to proxy server), this is how we have fixed it

Best Regards
Richard sanders
Newman University College

BTW:- Has anyone else had problems deleting turnitin assignments in a moodle course if AJAX (drag and drop) functionality is turned on?

In reply to R S

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
No, but we have had every other problem under the sun.

It breaks if the course name is too short
It breaks if the topic is hidden
It breaks if there are any other broken instances in the same course
It breaks if your firewall gets in the way.

The trouble is that the plugin creates the Moodle instance regardless of errors between the plugin and the turnitin server. Of course, that then means that you cannot delete them as it also requires successful communication before it will delete.

I honestly don't think I can recommend using the plugin until they have sorted these issues out.

by Dan Marsden -

yeah - the current version is really buggy - I've submitted a few fixes to Iparadigms in the past for the existing version, but haven't had the time to look at it much....till now...... I have a "deep integration" almost working.....

it works with the existing assignment types in moodle - just a tick box and a few config items on the admin > activities > assignment module page.

will hopefully have something to share later this week!

smile

Dan

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Howard Miller -
Dan,

I'd be *very* interested to hear more about your work smile

by Dan Marsden -

at the moment, I'm struggling a bit with the actual upload of the file to TII, The documentation that I have on their API is really sketchy.

So far, When you create an assignment in Moodle it does the following:
Creates a "moodle" instructor user in your TII account.
Creates a "class" in the TII account for that Instructor for the moodle course you are creating an assignment for.
Creates an "assignment" in the TII account for that class/instructor

Then when a student tries to upload a file, it does the following:
Creates a user in the TII account for that student.(if it doesn't already exist)
Enrols that user in the class within TII for the assignment
tries to upload the file (which is currently failing)

There's still a lot of tidying to go, I haven't written the function which updates the assignment if the moodle assignment changes name (should be easy)

I haven't written the function to return the report (I've got all sorts of cool Ideas on how to display this once I get it back) - this should be relatively easy once I have managed to get the file submission to work.

I also need to write some cleanup functions so that when a student tries to upload a new assignment, the Assignment within TII must be deleted first before a new file is uploaded (I think)

I've also found issues where a user who already exisits in the TII system, then tries to upload a submission through moodle, the API doesn't like me enrolling those users in a "moodle" created Class.

If there are any CURL experts around that are interesting in helping me get the file upload to work that would be great!

I've also been focusing on the single upload type for now, but would like to get it to work with the online assignment, and the multi-file one.

smile

Dan

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Mark Miller -
This seems to be the last entry on TII module. I wonder if there's any updated info.

I just upgraded to Moodle 1.9. I have a valid TII account. I'm not interested in their hosting service -- I'll settle for module.

I've looked around and can't find a source for the module file. I found an old reference to a Rapidshare account, but I get a 404 error when I try to access it.

I've asked the TII help desk, but haven't heard back from them.

Can you tell me where we are with this? I'm looking forward to it -- it will be a great addition to the Moodle arsenal.

regards

Mark C. Miller
Indianapolis Indiana
In reply to Mark Miller

by David Wu -
Hi Mark,

The Turnitin Moodle plugin is not fully compatible with Moodle 1.9 at the moment.
It works for the most part except for the tie-ins to the Moodle Gradebook, since the changes to the Moodle gradebook were pretty great from 1.8 to 1.9.
We haven't been able to work on making it compatible with 1.9 yet, but if that's ok for you, the rest of the integration should work fine.

You should be able to download the plugin from your administrator account in Turnitin.

1. Login in to Turnitin at www.turnitin.com (make sure that you are in as the administrator user type)
2. Click on green update button for the account that has been activated to use the Moodle integration
3. Click on the "add/modify API integration information" link near the bottom of the page
4. Click on the link to download the appropriate plugin for your version.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Dave

In reply to Dan Marsden

by R S -

Ditto for me as well... It would be great to see what you have been doing with the plugin as our insitution is very interested in using turnitin college wide.